Beautiful Nova (Very picture heavy).

Frumpydumple

Apr 21, 2013
Durham, UK.
Parrots
My birds: Skyler/Sky, violet Indian Ringneck. Mother's birds: Norman, African Grey and Mildred, Blue Crowned Conure.
I let him out the day before yesterday. It didn't go that great. He took food from a bowl I was holding twice, and he sat happily on Merle's cage (I moved Merle's cage in the same room as Nova so I could clean it better. Merle wasn't actually in the same room as him though because I'm still quarantining Nova).

He was fine when he was out, but I couldn't get him back in.

He lunges if my hand gets too close, so I tried a perch and he bit it repeatedly and then flew off.

He went pretty high up and I couldn't get him down either, eventually I got him to step up on the perch, but then he flew off again.

And then I had to chase him back in his cage with the perch. At least I didn't have to grab or towel him though, right? :rolleyes: The good thing is, he wasn't bothered after all that, he was actually making noises yesterday and he isn't any more scared of me than he already was.

ANYWAY, here's a bunch of pictures.

His cage looks pretty bad right now, but I will be getting new perches and toys soon (and a new cage eventually).

Eating apple.

On top of his cage.

On Merle's cage.

OP
Frumpydumple

Frumpydumple

Apr 21, 2013
Durham, UK.
Parrots
My birds: Skyler/Sky, violet Indian Ringneck. Mother's birds: Norman, African Grey and Mildred, Blue Crowned Conure.
OP
Frumpydumple

Frumpydumple

Apr 21, 2013
Durham, UK.
Parrots

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Nova is gorgeous! What beautiful colours:)

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Nova is so beautiful Emily :) gorgeous coloring. Did you say he's a cinnamon blue?

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Nova is stunning! I love his color, such a beautiful, soft shade of blue.

witchbaby

Feb 4, 2014
Virginia
Parrots
cinnamon turquoise gcc - luna,
pineapple gcc - drago,
galah/rose breasted cockatoo - merlin,
timneh african grey - jasper,
pied cockatiel - picasso,
blue & gold macaw - mia
Awww, he's gorgeous!

OP
Frumpydumple

Frumpydumple

Apr 21, 2013
Durham, UK.
Parrots

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
SO PRETTTYYYY! I love it! When Nova lunges, does he actually go for a hard bite? Or is it just him trying to intimidate you? I find Shiko will "lunge", but he's more gentle than the dragonfly that flew into my face yesterday when biking... :rolleyes:. He does it when he's trying to tell me, "no lady, you can't boss me around!", and I simply respond with, "Ohhohoho, but I can and I will!", to which he will oblige and step up for me. And he is SO food motivated! He'll do ANYTHING for a piece of almond. Perhaps you could try finding Nova's favorite treat and then work on training him? I find that with training Shiko has become much more comfortable being on me and near me, to the point where he's become a velcro bird that doesn't prefer to be cuddled.

I also have a perch on his cage door that swings out, so whenever he needs to go back I ask him to fly to his perch, reward him, and back in he goes. I've never had to fight with him coming in or out, actually, and I think that's why. I also find ringnecks to be the least... "offended", if you will, when things don't go wonderfully. They seriously seem to perk right back up! It's wonderful. Avery will hold a grudge for awhile :l

Anyways... thanks for the AWESOME pictures! I seriously love Nova! I wish I could bring Shiko over there and they could have an awesome birdy play date! I don't know of anyone here in town that has a ringneck... all of my friends who do have birds just have conures :D

OP
Frumpydumple

Frumpydumple

Apr 21, 2013
Durham, UK.
Parrots
SO PRETTTYYYY! I love it! When Nova lunges, does he actually go for a hard bite? Or is it just him trying to intimidate you? I find Shiko will "lunge", but he's more gentle than the dragonfly that flew into my face yesterday when biking... :rolleyes:. He does it when he's trying to tell me, "no lady, you can't boss me around!", and I simply respond with, "Ohhohoho, but I can and I will!", to which he will oblige and step up for me. And he is SO food motivated! He'll do ANYTHING for a piece of almond. Perhaps you could try finding Nova's favorite treat and then work on training him? I find that with training Shiko has become much more comfortable being on me and near me, to the point where he's become a velcro bird that doesn't prefer to be cuddled.

I also have a perch on his cage door that swings out, so whenever he needs to go back I ask him to fly to his perch, reward him, and back in he goes. I've never had to fight with him coming in or out, actually, and I think that's why. I also find ringnecks to be the least... "offended", if you will, when things don't go wonderfully. They seriously seem to perk right back up! It's wonderful. Avery will hold a grudge for awhile :l

Anyways... thanks for the AWESOME pictures! I seriously love Nova! I wish I could bring Shiko over there and they could have an awesome birdy play date! I don't know of anyone here in town that has a ringneck... all of my friends who do have birds just have conures :D

I've never been bitten by him yet, so I don't know if he would bite. If I get too close he starts panting, lunges at me, then he backs off. He's not aggressive, just scared. I tried almonds but he doesn't seem to like them. He won't take anything from my hand yet, so that make things more difficult. I might let him out when the room is dark and see how that goes.

I don't mind if Nova doesn't like being cuddled because I'm used to Cookie being independent. She likes to be on me but not cuddled or touched. Sometimes she likes head scratches. And if I want to cuddle a bird, I have Merle for that anyway. :)

That would be great. :D I'd love to meet someone who has birds from this forum. It would be great to see Shiko in real life. I don't know anyone where I live that has birds. Nova is even prettier in real life. I can't get any pictures that show how blue he actually is.

Thank you.

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
I find photos never do our birds real justice, haha :) And I actually JUST took Shiko into a dark room to get him used to being touched by the harness, and afterwards he got all sleepy and cute. He was also very keen on being on me because he knew I was there but didn't know anything else in the room. So it might be a great idea to try out!

As for treats, perhaps pine nuts or walnuts would be good? Shiko likes both of those a lot. And he goes bonkers over dried banana chips. So that's an option :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts