Bedbugs a problem?

Dtlwheels

Dec 8, 2013
Parrots
Turquoise Green Cheeked Conure, CJ; Crimson Bellied Conure, Rossa
I've just realized I've got bed bugs. Do they pose a danger to my birds?

Jottlebot

Aug 29, 2012
Shropshire, UK
Parrots
Orange-winged Amazon - RIP Charlie,
Spock - Common Mynah,
McCoy - Alexandrine
Probably not, because I don't think they travel much. Don't let your bird on the bed because the dropping might be in the air and bad for them.

You need to treat them though and you'll need to have your birds out of the house/apartment when you do.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Well bedbugs themselves might not be a danger to your birds, but they do carry/spread various diseases that might be...Either way, you must get them taken care of for yourself and your birds.

The important thing is going to be making sure that your birds are no where inside your home when you treat for the bedbugs. Whether you pay for an exterminator to do it, or you go and buy a can of bedbug spray for your mattress, you absolutely must remove your birds from your house during and for a good 24-48 hours after you spray for them.

OP
Dtlwheels

Dtlwheels

Dec 8, 2013
Parrots
Turquoise Green Cheeked Conure, CJ; Crimson Bellied Conure, Rossa
Probably not, because I don't think they travel much. Don't let your bird on the bed because the dropping might be in the air and bad for them.

You need to treat them though and you'll need to have your birds out of the house/apartment when you do.

The birds are in my bedroom. Are the droppings a problem just being in the same room?

gracebowen

Jan 14, 2015
San Antonio
Parrots
Cora lovebird
Sky parakeet
Having had bed bugs before I can tell you they do travel.

I struggled to get rid of them for 2 years. Spraying the ones I could see with alcohol killed them. I used undiluted 70 percent.

I finally got rid of them by getting everyone and all pets out of house for 4 hours.
The projected high was 100 degrees
I turned the a/c off and hoped it was hot enough to get my house to 120 degrees.

After that I never saw another bed bug.

120 degrees is hot enough to kill bugs and eggs.

Being as it's summer you could try this and get rid of them fast and free.

gracebowen

Jan 14, 2015
San Antonio
Parrots
Cora lovebird
Sky parakeet
Oh and since bed bugs eat blood I have to say yes it's a problem. If the infestation is not severe it's better. I know they bit my dogs. I didn't have birds at the time.

Most Reactions