so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I already know I want the vet to check for mites but is there anything else I should have him check for ??
I need to make a list so I don't forget when I get there.
texsize

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Congrats! She is so pretty! How old is she?

I was told about 7 months old. Someone here posted that from the way her eyes look they think she could be older.
I do think she is young else she would not be so friendly.
That will be something I ask the vet tomorrow .

Qtpyinnj

May 15, 2016
Texas, by way of New Jersey
Parrots
Shades: African Grey Congo Male, hatched June 20, 2016
Congrats! She is so pretty! How old is she?

I was told about 7 months old. Someone here posted that from the way her eyes look they think she could be older.
I do think she is young else she would not be so friendly.
That will be something I ask the vet tomorrow .

I've read the eyes change color around 1.5 to 2 years of age. Either way, she looks very sweet and happy with you. ❤️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I've read the eyes change color around 1.5 to 2 years of age. Either way, she looks very sweet and happy with you. ❤️

Did some searching and it looks like you are right about age vs eye color. I did not know that.
I hope this does not make it harder to get her to stop plucking her feathers.
One of my cockatiels developed a plucking tendency. I managed to keep it from getting worse but not stop it altogether.
I found that letting her come out of the cage and um, hard to describe giving her one on one attention with my face helps her.
She does not fly well and does not like hands but she likes to groom my face, hair, mustache, eyebrows.
Hopefully I can find something, some form of attention or activity to stop the pulling of her (Bella's) beautiful feathers.

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Perjo - Female CAG hatch Nov 2015
Her eyes do look older than 7 mos, but that might just be her eyes being her eyes. I'm sure each individual bird ages at a slightly different pace.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
checkup at the Vet.

The swab that the vet used on Bella's throat showed LOTS of gram - bacteria (the bad kind of bacteria) and almost none of the good bacteria.
I was given antibiotics and probiotics for this.
I decided to not do a blood test, a decision I am thinking was a mistake but I wanted to keep the checkup quick and not to expensive.
I will need to take her back for a checkup on the gram - bacteria so if there is no improvement in her plucking behavior I can do the blood test then.

Vet said no way to tell her age but his impression is that for the amount of feather plucking on Bella would be surprised if she was so young.
takes longer to cause so much damage:(
texsize

Qtpyinnj

May 15, 2016
Texas, by way of New Jersey
Parrots
Shades: African Grey Congo Male, hatched June 20, 2016

Did some searching and it looks like you are right about age vs eye color. I did not know that.
I hope this does not make it harder to get her to stop plucking her feathers.
One of my cockatiels developed a plucking tendency. I managed to keep it from getting worse but not stop it altogether.
I found that letting her come out of the cage and um, hard to describe giving her one on one attention with my face helps her.
She does not fly well and does not like hands but she likes to groom my face, hair, mustache, eyebrows.
Hopefully I can find something, some form of attention or activity to stop the pulling of her (Bella's) beautiful feathers.

I think you are off to a good start. I've only had my Shades for 3 weeks, but you get really attached really fast, and you want the very best for them. I had a tough time getting him to step up, so I took him into my bedroom where we had privacy to practice one on one. Within 2 days, he was stepping up with no more hesitation. He still bites, but that's the next thing to work on. I'm sure you will find a way to help preoccupy her mind so she'll stop plucking. It's just finding that one thing that makes her feel safe and patience. I have confidence in both of you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Dont forget to get some chew toys. Perjo loves the smaller cork like ones, she tears them up in 30 minutes though, they don't last.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
short vid

This is a very short video of Bella I took this morning.
at the end she makes this noise that reminds me of a flag pole in a wind going CLANG.
She has been making more noises this morning and I think she id imitating my cockatiels.

Please excuse mess, my wife sells flower arrangements on ebay and we have boxes of flowers all over.

[ame="https://youtu.be/LZErzUR9EME"]flag pole - YouTube[/ame]

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Re: checkup at the Vet.

The swab that the vet used on Bella's throat showed LOTS of gram - bacteria (the bad kind of bacteria) and almost none of the good bacteria.
I was given antibiotics and probiotics for this.
I decided to not do a blood test, a decision I am thinking was a mistake but I wanted to keep the checkup quick and not to expensive.
I will need to take her back for a checkup on the gram - bacteria so if there is no improvement in her plucking behavior I can do the blood test then.

Vet said no way to tell her age but his impression is that for the amount of feather plucking on Bella would be surprised if she was so young.
takes longer to cause so much damage:(
texsize

Considering you spent a Kings Ransome to obtain Bella, it is understandable to minimize cost. I'd think considering a blood panel during the recheck would be wise.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Re: short vid

at the end she makes this noise that reminds me of a flag pole in a wind going CLANG.
She has been making more noises this morning and I think she id imitating my cockatiels.

Please excuse mess, my wife sells flower arrangements on ebay and we have boxes of flowers all over.

flag pole - YouTube

Mess? What mess? All I saw was a very beautiful and lucky Grey!! :)
That was a definite "clang!" Greys have an amazing gift for noises in addition to speech.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
QUOTE]Considering you spent a Kings Ransome to obtain Bella, it is understandable to minimize cost. I'd think considering a blood panel during the recheck would be wise.[/QUOTE]
I did not really know what was included in a " wellness check" and the vet sprang the question of blood test when he had her wrapped up in a towel. I did not have a lot of time to think about it.
I was not thinking about the chance of a physical reason for her feather plucking, my bad.
I know there can be a number of internal reasons for that behavior but my mind was not thinking in that direction at the time.
texsize

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Re: short vid

flag pole - YouTube

Mess? What mess? All I saw was a very beautiful and lucky Grey!! :)
That was a definite "clang!" Greys have an amazing gift for noises in addition to speech.

And geez...that was a PERFECT "clang"! I stuck my head out my front door,and I don't even have a flag pole lol.

Jim

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
That sounds more like a beep to me, like something from a car key fab, or a computer, or a electronic timer. But whatever it is, it's a perfect mimic.

I just come to a realization that Perjo's high pitched whistle that she gives me in special moments is actually her mimicking the sound of me latching and twisting her lock on her food bowl door. It's the first sound he ever made toward me that I thought she made up on her own once home.

Most Reactions