'Best' bird for me?

Rorrael

Oct 17, 2013
I've been looking into getting a larger bird for some years, and since my budgies passed (of old age, the female followed her male a few days after his death), I've decided that sooner rather than later is the best time now.

Since my home has both a cat and a dog in it now, I would like a bird large enough and sure enough of itself to not be too worried about the cat. They wouldn't interact, if I can help it, unless their relationship is more perfect than I can hope, but I don't want the cat spooking the bird while caged either.

I also live in an apartment, so some of the noisier parrots are definitely out, although I certainly understand that nothing I can do will stop the noise entirely.

I live with my mother, who is chronically ill, so I'm hoping for a friendly bird that can keep her company while my husband and I are away.

Right now, I've especially been looking into an Alexandrine, an Eclectus, or a Cockatoo (this is not a preference, because of their noise level, but my husband is in love with them).

Is there one of these that would be best? Or any other suggestions that I might have overlooked? The housing and feeding of any bird smaller than a Macaw is no problem, and while purchasing a Macaw would stretch my budget, it's not impossible for me.

Last edited:

Thatdude596

Banned
Banned
Oct 13, 2013
Lol cross out a cocatoo! They can make your ears bleed! I cover my ears when they stray screaming literally. People say the sun conures are loud.... Compared to what!

OP
R

Rorrael

Oct 17, 2013
I would honestly love an African Grey, but I'm not sure my situation is right for one. Since my mother basically rents from us, I try to take her opinion into account too, and she's never been around larger birds. So, maybe one day, but right now I'd love to introduce her to a smaller bird, with a smaller, less intimidating beak.

The Electus is my personal favorite, but I've heard they're often a bit neophobic, and I don't want it to be frightened of the cat. I'm not worried about the dog, she's only a 4lb yorkie and was terrified of our budgies.

bob1

Jul 21, 2013
California
Parrots
Chico the Cinnamon Green Conure and Malik the Congo African Grey
I think the Eclectus might work (but is just is large as an African Grey) they have a large screech but they are usually very quiet. I personally love a male Grand Eclectus. Also the males have a good possibility of talking.

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
For Eclectus it is how they are raised and how you finish raising them after you get them from breeder.

I had a Solomon Island Eclectus that came home with little confidence, afraid of everything and everyone. It took about 6 weeks to work with him but he ended up being my best therapy pet parrot. Outside the house he was well behaved and loved everyone. At home he was part macaw. Joaquin would call the cat in my voice and the cat would go running to his cage because Joaquin would then plop into the floor some wet food. As the cat was standing there licking up the vegetables Joaquin would line up one foot on the grate and one foot on the side of the cage and crap on the cats back with precise measurements. He was very accurate with being able to crap on the cat's back.

Joaquin also spoke in sentences and on a fine spring day when I had the windows open he was acting up saying he wanted out of his cage and yelling he needed help so the neighbor called the police because they thought Joaquin was a child being abused.

Eclectus are LOUD. My little SI could out scream any of my mini macaws. When he was able to talk he did not scream much at all. He told me his needs (or rather told me his needs very LOUDLY) using speech. However after he lost his ability to talk (virus made it to the brain) that he when he went back to screaming. Between him and my RFM I cannot handle that screaming.

Keep researching and looking into the Eclectus. If that is where you heart lays why not continue to learn about their unique ways so you can be prepared and have the confidence to bring one home. Even though I say my RFM is the most unique parrot I ever had it was my Eclectus that I felt was the hardest to care for because you really need to know what you are doing with diet, training (I find I had to modify my training methods for an Eclectus a lot. They seem to learn differently) Researching them and gaining experience with them will be well worth your efforts.

OP
R

Rorrael

Oct 17, 2013
Thanks! That makes me more confident that the extreme skittishness I've heard about in the Eclectus is something that can be worked on.

I'm not holding out any hope that I'll get a bird that talks, although that would certainly be best case. And I know that screaming most often occurs because a bird has something to tell us and can't figure out another way. I'm just looking for a bird whose normal vocalizations won't be on the too-loud side. An Eckie looks like it might be best for me.

My husband has been trying to convince me that a well trained, well situated cockatoo can be quiet (save for the morning and evening flock calls, of course). Is that true? I like the cuddly nature of them, but every 'too I've encountered has either screamed or plucked, and I'm not sure I can handle keeping a bird like that emotionally stable enough to do neither.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Oh I'm sure there are such well behaved cockatoos, however, the minute you take one into YOUR home/apartment, the cockatoo would be in a brand new environment, and there is NO telling and certainly NO guarantee he/she would continue to be well behaved. :)

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Definitely not a too.

I would suggest a Congo African Grey, myself.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I have a well behaved Lesser Sulphur Crested Cockatoo as she rarely screams. But watch out when she does....they're definitely not good apartment birds!!!!! Mine would scream at midnight for 15-20 minute straight. I think you would have major complaints from your neighbors.

My ekkies are angels!!!! But they have their moments but that's very very rare, usually only when there's strangers in the house or if the big dogs went into their room, they don't like strangers or the big dogs, but they're fine with cats and the small dog that we have. But it all just depends on each individual bird as you never know what they will be like until you have them around. But still, Cockatoos will not be a good one!!!!

Alexs can be noisy but I don't have a whole lot of experience with them.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I would honestly love an African Grey, but I'm not sure my situation is right for one. Since my mother basically rents from us, I try to take her opinion into account too, and she's never been around larger birds. So, maybe one day, but right now I'd love to introduce her to a smaller bird, with a smaller, less intimidating beak.

The Electus is my personal favorite, but I've heard they're often a bit neophobic, and I don't want it to be frightened of the cat. I'm not worried about the dog, she's only a 4lb yorkie and was terrified of our budgies.

Cags are about the same size as an Eckie!!! In fact, some of the coastal greys are SMALLER THAN an Eckie!

In that case, I would change my recommendation to a TAG. Same basic bird in terms of IQ. A little smaller. Less neurotic. Just no red tail.

Jayyj

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Parrots
Alice - Galah cockatoo
Remember not all cockatoos are equal! Galahs are a very different kettle of fish than Umbrella or Muloccan 'toos - with the smaller whites such as Goffins and Ducorps falling somewhere inbetween - and Galahs are probably on a par with Greys and Eclectus in terms of ease of care, so not easy exactly but not up there with the big white fellas.

In terms of noise, my Galah has a short, sharp contact call that she uses in the mornings or if I leave the room when she's out of her cage, a full on war cry for when she's having a mad moment (a couple of minutes once a day on average, usually whilst rolling about on her back or hanging upside down off my shirt sleeve), and the rest of her vocalisations are an array of sweet, quiet little squeaks, honks and whistles: I'm not great with loud birds and I've met plenty of parrots I couldn't live with, but galahs are definitely easy enough to cope with in terms of noise.

All that said, personally if you're going to be primary carer and your heart is set on an Eclectus, that's what I'd go for. But if cockatoos are a serious possibility then a galah would be well worth checking out.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Yeah, and RB2 or a Goffins would work for an apartment, BUT I wouldn't go with anything larger than that.

I still think a TAG would be a good call for this situation.

Most Reactions