Best parrot

OP
B

binaryterror

Oct 11, 2006
Yeah, I dont like that one quite as much as the Parrotlet. My friend has a few really nice birds, and he said that a Caique is his favorite bird. He says its playful, and quiet.

He also said that cockatiels are messy? Is that true?

Right now, I narrowed it down to a Senegal, Parrotlet, or a cockatiel. But with the cockatiel, I am kind of leaning away from because they are so common, and I wanted something a little different. But who knows...

Last edited:

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
I have 10 birds here at the moment, and I can honestly say that they are all as messy as each other, the 2 tiels aren't more messy than anyone else, they all have great fun with the food throwing contest that they seem to love to play.:D Cockatiels will need a plentiful amount of toys that they can chew, as they do love to chew the wooden toys they have. We also have some acrylic toys that they try to destroy but can't :04:

OP
B

binaryterror

Oct 11, 2006
What about the Senegal? I am really leaning towards them because of their good reputation for playfulness, and niceness. Is this cage good for a Senegal, or a cockatiel? Do you know of any that are cheaper (this one is $270)? Thanks!

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=13621&N=2003+113270

So, I now have it down to Cockatiel and the Senegal. Obviously price is a big difference... but I need you hear what you guys have to say about them!!!

bill

Jul 2, 2006
victoria,Australia
Parrots
lorikeets and gc conures
cockatiels are great but being the smallest member of the cockatoo family the can be destructive with anything they can get their beak around. They are a good choice though I have owned them for many years and love them heaps. As for senegals I don't know much about them. They are an african bird quite compact but from what i here they are very cute. We dont see them much in Australia because they are very expensive for a pet bird. You just have to remember to put lots of love and time in with your new parrot. The more you give the more you get back. And always remember your choices will effect your parrots life as much if not more than yours so choose wisely. Happy hunting.

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
I don't know anything about sengals but that bar spacing would be too big for most cockatiels not just about their heads going through they love to clinm around the cage so get one with at least 2 sides of horizontal bars -about them being destructive just keep lots of things in the cage for them to play with some of mines favorites are those vineballs you can get in a big package at walmart or craft stores just string them up add some beads if you want and it will kepp them occupied for hours !

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
The bar spacing on that cage is too big for a cockatiel, he would get his head through those bars and there is an accident waiting to happen. Usually ends in tragedy. Also remember the larger the better, the largest you can afford.

OP
B

binaryterror

Oct 11, 2006
Yeah, well I am stuck between a senegal and a cockatiel, and the sun!!! How loud are suns with alot of attention?

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
When I was trying to decide between a sun and a green cheek I was fortunate enough to walk into a petco one day where in the bird room they had a jenday,sunday,sun,and green cheek conure. The jenday,sunday,and sun were so noisy my mom and I couldn't harldy talk over the noise! the poor green cheek just sat there like "what have I gotten myself into" he was so sweet and just made a little purring sound everynow and then I woulda gotten him but they wanted 279 for him and he was just the regular mutation. it's hard to describe the noise suns make it is more of an extreemly loud quack that goes on and on.I still might get one someday when I'm on my own but living with my parent mom was like you have to get a relativly quiet one those would drive your dad up the wall! anyways that's my experience with suns.

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Ummm although I love animals I'm not very good at biology so please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not sure if it is the order or genus or family but whatever it is green cheeks are pyrrhuras and suns are aratingas. Anyways the members of the pyrrhuras are generally smaller and quite significatly quieter.

bill

Jul 2, 2006
victoria,Australia
Parrots
lorikeets and gc conures
I keep and breed or attemp to breed green cheeks and they are very loving and quiet most of the time.And yes birdcrazy the pyrrhuras are a quiet genus compared to the other conures.The maroon bellied is also a good choice but may be more expensive. Quakers are good also. I would also consider caiques as well,they seem to be beautiful.

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Cool Since I'm going to be getting a GCC already found the breeder and everything. Is there any advice or special things I need to get before my baby comes home? I've done alot of research but the more advice the better :) thanks

OP
B

binaryterror

Oct 11, 2006
I just went to one of Ohios largest bird stores It was awesome! They had a male and female GCC for sale, and a blue and gold macaw (looked terrible), and a few other macaws. And a ton of cockatiels, parakeets, and love birds. They also had a few parrorlets. But the GCC's were some of the only birds that didnt chirp once. They looked really good too! I want one really badly now!

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
LOL i looked at all sorts of medium sized parrots spent months doing research was sure I wanted a sun and then fell in love with the GCCs they were always so cute to watch swing around in their cages at the petstores! heard from the breeder just today when I finally get my baby that conure gallery is going to be filled up!!! :)

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
They looked really good too! I want one really badly now!

Hey thats great news BT, if thats the bird you have decided on, then this is the time to start your research. We can help as well, I hope it all works out for ya.

heard from the breeder just today when I finally get my baby that conure gallery is going to be filled up!!!

Hey thats great news BC, I look forward to seeing LOTS of pics in the conure gallery as well as in posts. We want to hear all about him/her.

bill

Jul 2, 2006
victoria,Australia
Parrots
lorikeets and gc conures
gcc are awesome but dont give them shell gritt because it can impact their crop and kill them. All in all they are cold hardy,friendly and good all round pets. Let us know how you go with it all. :) :)

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
binaryterror , you said you were from ohio. I don't know your situation but i also participate in a green cheek conure message board there is a lady on there in chicago,IL who posted this :
I have two 3 year old green cheek conures that I need to find a new home for. I am willing to give them away for free to someone who know about and can properly care for them. I am in the far North Western suburbs of Chicago, near the IL/WI border. Please email me if interested.
just an idea

Most Reactions