Best treat , and step up rules help

Abbass17

Sep 28, 2017
Hi guys am new to this hobby
From a week a go i got an african grey and he’s so wild and aggressive
Now i can pet his head and he stop sreaming but still won’t step up or eat from my hand please help and whats the best treat

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Perjo - Female CAG hatch Nov 2015
Need much more information and none of this stuff is about "the best" treat.

How old is the CAG? Where did it come from, the wild (like real wild) a family, pet store/breeder?

All parrots have their own favorites when it comes to treats or general meals.

And step up is based heavily on trust.

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
part of the fun is figuring out what your new friend likes best.

Billdore

Nov 12, 2016
Vermont
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
Try the raw but bar at your healthy food store. Stay away from peanuts, Timneh likesnpine nuts and cashews. Don't rush things give your new friend time to build the trust. Lots of information on the forums.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Give treats from a stork or spoon. This will ensure you aren’t bitten when giving the treats.

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
at eight months new to your home it must be scared out of its wits.

read as much as you can on this forum and you will be fine.

offer treats with your fingers just out of bites way.
make him reach for them, but unable to bite you.

its all about building trust and forming a bond.

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Perjo - Female CAG hatch Nov 2015
Stick with a few treats don't overhwelm the guy with too many choices just yet, they can be picky.

Karen's dried veggies seems to be popular.

My Perjo LOVES whole wheat elbow pasta uncooked. She seems to go for that first when I present more than one treat to her.

Just be patient, and patience means it can take a couple weeks for every knew thing to be accomplished. Stick to a couple things at a time at first. Step up and taking food from your hand are two good ones to start with.

IMO you should always talk to your bird when interacting and be aware of the terminology you use for commands. Short and simple is the best. Don't say "hey how you doing today" or "would you like to come out of your cage". Say things like "hi" or "come out". Helps them understand quicker.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Right, every parrot has his /her favorite. Salty's is pine nuts. He would build me a house for a pine nut! Greys are very smart and like to observe the new surroundings ( to make sure nothing will eat them), so take your time too, in trying to form a bond.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
great advice above although I think one was forgotten. Go at their pace not your own

remove all ideas you have of pets, a bird is not a dog or cat and you have to earn their trust. Some people will say they're like children and in some ways they are but do view them as nothing but a bird, one of the most intelligent on the planet to be specific.

just sit by the cage and talk to them, I'd avoid looking at them during this time, remember we are a predator species and our face alone can be scary for a bird and be prepared for a long time in getting them used to you, they live for decades so a couple weeks at the start is nothing compared to all that time being happy friends

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Congratulations, one week is short and you've done well since your feathered friend is now allowing scratches.

Please read the African grey threads and all posts by birdman666 who is amazing with his knowledge.

Patience, patience, and lots of work ahead but greys are so intelligent, I believe you will see lots of progress.

All the best!

Most Reactions