Bird keeps chewing carpet

NorrisB

Jan 21, 2012
Ive tried to buy him stuff to chew, toys, balsa wood, newspaper. He always goes back to chewing stuff I dont want him to chew, its really getting annoying now because he's chewing the carpet, he's chewed all the way down to the cement in one spot and I cant get him to stop unless I lock him in his cage 24/7, I tried putting a sheet over it but he just lifts it up and continues chewing. Ive got to be smarter than the bird and that is not working out well right now, I dont want to lock him in his cage because hje enjoys going to the top of the cage and having freedom, any suggestions as to h8ow to keep him away from the carpet would be much appreciated.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
My advice is to clip wings and do not let your bird on the floor where he can get into trouble.

Scotty T

May 26, 2011
Parrots
Red Factor Sun Conure
Welcome to the world of Birdies, that's what they do, they love to chew.

I've always said my bird is like a 2 year old little boy. :)

Watch them close and have fun!

DannyA93

Jan 22, 2012
Las Cruces, NM
Parrots
Pineapple Turquoise Greencheek Conure-Ivy❤️, Male Cockatiel-Lusa (aka Bub =D)
Do you have an extra cage that could be the "time out" cage? so he doesn't associate his main cage with negativity. if you do you could lock him in there for a few minutes everytime he chews the carpet i'm sure he'll get it after a while but make sure there are no toys in it so he can't go in there and play and stuff.

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
Unfortunately, this is what birds do. You cannot stop chewing behaviors, and discipline does not work. We can only redirect their activities. Try giving him acceptable things to chew. I know you have, but, this needs some real thought. What kind of bird is it? What does it like to chew? You must give it something else to chew on to substitute for the carpet. Or some other activity. "Time Out" will not work because he will not understand why, and will not see that as punishment.

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
Ive tried to buy him stuff to chew, toys, balsa wood, newspaper. He always goes back to chewing stuff I dont want him to chew, its really getting annoying now because he's chewing the carpet, he's chewed all the way down to the cement in one spot and I cant get him to stop unless I lock him in his cage 24/7, I tried putting a sheet over it but he just lifts it up and continues chewing. Ive got to be smarter than the bird and that is not working out well right now, I dont want to lock him in his cage because hje enjoys going to the top of the cage and having freedom, any suggestions as to h8ow to keep him away from the carpet would be much appreciated.

What do you do, when he chews the carpet? The fact that he's chewed down to the cement suggests that you're not doing much... I'm sorry, if this sounds harsh...

You don't have to lock him in a cage 24/7... you just have to supervise him, and redirect him every single time... Eventually he'll get it... Maybe you can even get him a small piece of his very own carpet... I wouldn't recommend that, though..

Someone mentioned clipping his wings... I think that might be a good idea...

triordan

Sep 1, 2010
Maryland
Parrots
Remington~ GW Macaw
Ollie/Olivia~ CAG
you could try Biter Apple No Chew, on worked for a spot on my ceiling, but needs to be reapplied as needed

Most Reactions

Latest posts