Kalidasa

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
That is awesome! Is it a real rock? Is that large enough to hold a amazon, or do they make a large size? My mom's amazon loves playing with rocks (so does Kiwi, but he already has a cage platform) and I bet she would love something like that in her cage! We've always given the parrots rounded, egg-sized (well sterilized) river rocks to play with, but I never thought of making a platform!

Has your bird been interested in it yet?

It's concrete. They make it in a mold, and they put screws in the mold, so that the screws are actually formed inside the concrete, and you can just bolt them on.

It's the molds that cost the bucks. But I suppose you could make your own forms out of 2x4's, drill holes in the sides, and shove the bolts in there, and then custom make it to the dimension of your cage. Sounds like a lot of work though. I think I'll stick to just drilling four holes in flagstones, and tying off a rope...

Actually, it's not concrete, but natural stone. As far as texture goes, there's not much difference. But it is stone. I wish I was more crafty, and would be able to make stuff like that myself...but I'm not, so have no problem shelling out $$$ for stuff like that to people who specialize. Lol, I dont even think I have a drill that would do that. I tried it once with disastrous results.
What sort of drill bit would one use for making these things?
I would love to make a perch made out of the stone below in the thumbnail pic..any ideas??

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
That is awesome! Is it a real rock? Is that large enough to hold a amazon, or do they make a large size? My mom's amazon loves playing with rocks (so does Kiwi, but he already has a cage platform) and I bet she would love something like that in her cage! We've always given the parrots rounded, egg-sized (well sterilized) river rocks to play with, but I never thought of making a platform!

Has your bird been interested in it yet?

It's concrete. They make it in a mold, and they put screws in the mold, so that the screws are actually formed inside the concrete, and you can just bolt them on.

It's the molds that cost the bucks. But I suppose you could make your own forms out of 2x4's, drill holes in the sides, and shove the bolts in there, and then custom make it to the dimension of your cage. Sounds like a lot of work though. I think I'll stick to just drilling four holes in flagstones, and tying off a rope...

Actually, it's not concrete, but natural stone. As far as texture goes, there's not much difference. But it is stone. I wish I was more crafty, and would be able to make stuff like that myself...but I'm not, so have no problem shelling out $$$ for stuff like that to people who specialize. Lol, I dont even think I have a drill that would do that. I tried it once with disastrous results.

Okay, there are two different types. the molded concrete types, and the stone ones. The stone ones they drill out, and insert the screws.

It's a masonry drill bit. I forget the diameter, but just take the rope with you and measure against the rope.

And you have to go slow. If you push to hard it cracks. (Learned that one the hard way!)

OP
Kalidasa

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)

Okay, there are two different types. the molded concrete types, and the stone ones. The stone ones they drill out, and insert the screws.

It's a masonry drill bit. I forget the diameter, but just take the rope with you and measure against the rope.

And you have to go slow. If you push to hard it cracks. (Learned that one the hard way!)

Does it take a specific drill bit to do it? And I dont understand "measure against the rope". What does that mean??

MrsKay

Jun 23, 2014
Media
Southern California
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Larry)
Canary (Norman)
I love it! Only thing is what if you have a bird who likes to poop where he sits? Looks hard to clean unless you soak it. Not saying anything bad, again, I LOVE it! Looks nice and would be a good idea for nails and beak I'd think. Hang a couple toys around it?

My thoughts exactly. Larry has a cuttlebone, a small lava rock and a granite rock in his cage. I think this platform rock is a wonderful idea and has many benefits but for me, I think it's too much hassle to clean every day :)

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I love it! Only thing is what if you have a bird who likes to poop where he sits? Looks hard to clean unless you soak it. Not saying anything bad, again, I LOVE it! Looks nice and would be a good idea for nails and beak I'd think. Hang a couple toys around it?

My thoughts exactly. Larry has a cuttlebone, a small lava rock and a granite rock in his cage. I think this platform rock is a wonderful idea and has many benefits but for me, I think it's too much hassle to clean every day :)

But then again, it might never be a problem for some birds. I think certain birds poop everywhere and anywhere, while others don't. Griffin has yet to poop in his sea grass hammock-like toy, and he sits in it all the time. But he does poop on everything else!

Most Reactions