Bird park! Lots of toos, got to handle black cockatoos!

Amber

Jun 1, 2011
I really really wish I had remembered my camera now! :rolleyes::D

Bear with me, most of this post is black cockatoo related.

Today myself and a friend decided to hit up the local 'bird park' a place called Bird World that is a nature reserve with around 50 'aviaries' (More like large free flight areas)

Did the usual wander around, saw many species of birds, ekkies, galahs, toos of many varieties, a bunch of Aus natives (King parrots, scarlets, you name it, they have it. They are the parks focus, so to speak, conservation of native parrots). Only thing we did not see (or hear!) was a conure, but thats ok, I have one at home, and he is more then enough conure for me!

Unfortunately the main walk in flight aviary was undergoing repairs (Some possums had put a hole in the roof!) but this was more then made up for by running into the owner as he went to check the birds. I'd been giving a Major Mitchell 'too a good scratch through the cage, and his galah cagebuddy came over seemingly also for a scratch. Boy was I wrong, he acted all sweet, then CHOMP. No damage, but he was intent. Owner was worried, I laughed it off, I've had worse bites from my jenday when we were training (not malicious, he just didn't really get the 'pressure hurts thing for awhile!), and his beak is larger then this galahs! Must have been a small subspecies, as this galah seemed smaller then the ones native around my parents.

Anyway, get talking to the owner about parrots, in particular his black cockatoos. Long story short, me and my friend ended up in the flight aviaries with these black cockatoos. One was a pair of the NSW red tailed subspecies, the other was a slightly smaller species of red tailed. We looked at but did not touch the yellow tailed varieties, and one pair of the reds we did not get to hold. The two red males were Lil Bugger (NSW subspecies) and Jesse (I did not catch the species, but he was slightly smaller?) Jesse was very up for scratches! Helped him pull off some pinfeathers and the owner let me feed him an almond. None of them were overly cuddly (unusual for a too, I thought!), and none really liked to be 'held' or grabbed, but they were more then happy to stand on you for scratches or treats, or just to cruise around the aviary!

I'm told temperament wise they are very different to say a sulphur, in fact, the exact opposite, not very cuddly of 'velcro bird' like, but very independent adaptable creatures. Of course these birds, while tame (Some handreared, some not) were kept outside in a huge flight aviary so that may contribute to this generally good health and wellbeing. I don't know how they would go in a pet setting, and frankly unless one can provide them with a large 20x20m aviary like these guys had, I don't really think they should be kept.

Did I mention they were huge? Especially the NSW subspecies! He was larger then most macaws I have handled. Shorter tail, but similar sized body. Chunkier/more heavily built too!

If you are ever in the Melbourne Australia area, check it out. Huge bit of natural forest/bushland, waterfalls, the works. And some very happy birds! Just don't go near the galah! Home

Incidentally I've always loved black coakatoos. One day when I own my own house/land I think I would love to build the aviary/flight area they need and get a pair. In Australia they can be kept on a wildlife license (Something I have had in the past and can renew)

So my dream flock? Alex my Jenday, a buddy for him (another conure, or a pionus, or maybe a caique) and a pair of NSW red tailed toos. They are critically endangered and I'd love to help conserve them. ;)

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I'm actually jealous of those of you who live in Australia, lol! I would love so much to see wild parrots, and to visit the aviary you just went to. I will probably never see a black cockatoo in person.

It sounds like you had a wonderful time. If you get to go back, please take your camera for those of us in the US and other cold climates.

OP
Amber

Amber

Jun 1, 2011
Some of the more notable birds were...

-The Gang Gangs, because they are so uncommon to look at

-Mitchell the Major Mitchell, an avid talker who was once a housepet (He's obviously came from a good home) He says "Mitchell wants a cracker" "Thats not a cracker!" (When given something he doesn't like) Meows like a cat, and is a general sweetiepie. I would have taken him home in a heartbeat!

- Lil Bugger the NSW red tailed black cockatoo. He was gorgeous an a total sweetie to hold!

-Jesse the (unknown subspecies) red tailed black cockatoo. One of the ones we held, cracked them when we left his aviary without giving him an almond! (I did give him one after that!)

-The galah, who sweet talked me in by hanging off the cage and being all cute, only to chomp down. Apparently he does it often.

-A rescue too, who is a recovering plucker. Was very quiet and reserved until the owner stepped into the aviary. Then he came to life! I think they took him in from someone, he seems a little shaken. Shares his aviary with Mitchell the talking Mitchell!

-So many native birds! Lorikeets of every sort, rosellas of every sort, kings parrots, scarlets, turquoisenes, bourkes, I can't even remember them all. Some cute little cockatiels too!

-A variety of ekkies! Red sided, etc, Females seemed very happy to hide in their nests though :)

- A variety of non natives, ringnecks, alexandrenes, plum headed (maybe native? I'm not sure) and so on. Pretty much everything but conures and macaws! Their may have been some, but we couldn't spot any on display! (Which would make sense, conures and macaws are prime theft targets here) Bunch of finches too!

All in all, a good visit if you are parrot (especially too!) mad!

OP
Amber

Amber

Jun 1, 2011
Roxy, a number of black too species migrate through my parents town every year (the trees along the river are their migratory feeding areas/snack stops) so occasionally we see them. Usually you just hear them (they have a beautiful sounding cry from a distance! Close up, as I found out today, not so pleasant!) or see them high up in the sky! Every year though fewer and fewer make it to and through the town (midway on an migratory route) because the trees they feed on on the way and the forest/areas they live in at the two ends of the journey are being cleared. Conservation projects are helping to conserve the habitat, but with the slow breeding toos it's likely they will not recover. Captive bred adults raised to be wild and released into high food (and protected) areas fare well an seem to be helping to bring the numbers up. I think the white tails are faring better then the reds.

Despite being classed as 'Least concern' by ICUN due to their huge range (due to migratory behaviour they cover and are seen in a lot of land) they are actually considered in critical danger of wild extinction by Aus aviculturalists. One subspecies (The South Eastern) was counted at 837 individuals in 2011 on it's migration through the area near my parents place. Some of these birds may have been recorded more then once, as it was on sight, and similarly some may have been missed, but the population is estimated at under 3000 individuals.

Edit- Should mention the place where this park is located is cold for 80% of the year. Sometimes it even snows! :) We get the cold too! But the birds have wonderful (If in need of a new coat of paint, lol!) Shelter and obviously are acclimatised and cope well. But it is summer at the moment, so I'll enjoy the heat while I can! :)

Last edited:

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
We have a number of Australians on my Triumph motorcycle forum who have taken pictures for me of migrating black 'Toos. Rainbow lories as well. So I sort of get to live vicariously through my computer, lol!

I know some parts of Australia get cold, but I bet it's still nicer than Ohio usually is. We are having a very mild winter this year, probably the nicest in my entire life. Last year we went 56 days in a row without going above freezing, and this year we have only had a handful of days that didn't.

You do have some of the most unique animals of anywhere on the planet, and that interests me a lot.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Very very jealous!

Next time you go (I'm sure you will) definitely bring your camera! :p

Helitorian

Dec 15, 2011
Nebraska
Parrots
RIP Constantine: Jenday Conure
I'm so jealous! My dream bird is a Black Palm Cockatoo but I like the other black too's as well. I'd love to visit a place like that :) they'd never get me to leave!

mnkeastman

Jan 6, 2012
Parrots
Pixie-White Capped Pionus
wow sounds like an amazing place for people as well as birds. I personally would be one of those annoying people that set up camp until they asked me to leave so they could close down for the day lol.

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
Wow , that sounds amazing ! Such a beautiful place , and they have the most unique animals . I would love to go there !
You must have memories to last a lifetime :)

JensFlock

Jul 31, 2011
South Carolina
Parrots
Eclectus,
Blue Crowned Conure,
Quaker,
Lineolated Parakeet,
Diamond Dove,
Star Finch,
Spice Finch
That sounds soooo exciting!!! I'm glad you got to experience it. I am very jealous.

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Bird parks are a plenty where i live & they are my second home. I could visit every weekend. There were about 6 at last count & only a couple of hours drive from each other. They all house The Blacks. the one i most enjoy going to only houses Australian natives. They have all the sub-species there. Amber you just have to visit Qld.

They would have to be the gentle giants of the bird world. They do make wonderful companion parrots. They don't mind being in a smaller enrichment flight with lots of chewing things. They don't call their beaks bolt cutters for nothing. 1 bird can reduce your furniture to match sticks in a matter of an hour.

I get to rear baby blacks for a friend & let me tell you they are just so cute right from hatch & it's always a sad day 8 months later to hand them back. Some of the babies i have reared.

RedTailBabies002-1.jpg

RTBECKIES005.jpg

BabyBirds029.jpg

Last edited:

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
OMG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cuteness overload :)

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
DEFINITELY MOVING TO AUSTRALIA NOW! OMG.

I want to go to medical school, and I have actually heard that the medical program is shorter because you don't have to take as many of the useless classes. I'm into natural medicine, which might make things different. What is the medical stuff like over there? Anybody?

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
OMG!! That little black ball of fluff is SO adorable!! After that, I just couldn't give it back!

OP
Amber

Amber

Jun 1, 2011
Thanks everyone, it was a really good time! I was mighty surprised to learn where I could buy black toos (On a wildlife licence of course) and that unrelated pairs in Aus go for $3000-5000 for the NSW subspecies that interests me. Of course this is something that I would love to do after I finish uni, get into my teaching career and buy a house of my own, as I would like to handrear them myself and have a large theft proof flight aviary for them, but it is very encouraging to know they are affordable and available. Especially since the only ones I have seen for sale have been overseas (USA mainly), of unknown subspecies and 10,000+ (Usually MUCH higher) which kind of put them in my 'probably never going to have' category.

Pedro, those chicks are adorable! I've been to some of the bird parks up Bris way, but I do need to go again!

And Remy, feel free to come visit Aus anytime! We can always use more parrot people! :)

I promise I will go again over the next few months and get photos, though I don't know if I will be lucky enough to run into the owner again and get into the aviaries.

OP
Amber

Amber

Jun 1, 2011
DEFINITELY MOVING TO AUSTRALIA NOW! OMG.

I want to go to medical school, and I have actually heard that the medical program is shorter because you don't have to take as many of the useless classes. I'm into natural medicine, which might make things different. What is the medical stuff like over there? Anybody?

No idea on medicine, my Bachelor of Education (Teaching- Early Childhood and Primary) is four years full time though. The nurses at my uni have a similar workload for a similar amount of time. Probably the best thing about Aus tertiary education though is HECS help and the like. If you are a citizen (If studying here I would recommend citizenship first, as it entitles you to so much financial help!) you can get an interest free loan to cover your course costs. If you're in a Commonwealth Supported Place (Most are! Teaching is and anything medicine related definitely would be!) the max they can charge per year is something a bit over 5 grand, which is covered by your HECS loan. 20K for a 4 year course, all covered by an interest free loan that I repay only when making above a 'liveable threshold'? Yes please!

Aus has it's fair share of political BS, but our education system (And uni/tafe/further education) is accessible to pretty much everyone because of the loans, etc. It's pretty good! :p Come study here!

Helitorian

Dec 15, 2011
Nebraska
Parrots
RIP Constantine: Jenday Conure
Remy, wait for me! I'm coming too! Aus sounds so much better than the US. I had to pay 12k for just one year of class and my ex is paying about 18k a year at a different uni an hour away. Every year the price is raised! It's crazy!

paulnchris

Feb 16, 2012
Parrots
Peach face,
Corella,
Cockatiel
As an American who migrated to Australia, I for one can say.... I LOVE IT!!! I'm up in Queensland so the weather here is ALWAYS nice... And the bird populations... well all I can say is I'll have to post up a video or some photos of my back yard... Pretty much every galah, Too, Lorikeet, etc etc comes through my yard at one point of day or another, and as for the Lori's they just don't seem to understand that I am not a play gym but am actually a human but shhhhh I won't tell them if you don't... Move to Australia the animals are AWESOME!!! except for the poisonous ones... those I could live without...

Most Reactions