Bird Rooms

NatWatson

Oct 3, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
My 2012 DYHA baby-to-be has been secured :D And I was just wondering about issolation and bird rooms. I have read that Amazons are more adapted to 'bird-rooms' then greys, but what is everyone else's experience?

Being able to close their door and have mess/noise evaporate for guests etc is inspired- and because controlling daylight and sleep times is a must in our circus-like household.

Naturally, I have both outdoor cages, and stands/foraging stations in almost ever room of the house for while we are at home and able to supervise out of cage time.

Our baby has the company of a motor-mouth Quaker and his best buddy Sun Conure when in their room.

Tammy

May 4, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Orange Wing Amazon
Sorry, I only have 1 bird, an OWA. I can't imagine him sharing a household with another bird. I kind of let him be in charge & every time he squawks I come running & take him out & play with him. I did move his cage to the 2nd floor as he doesn't scream as much if he's not allowed out. The kids are very loud & he hates that. I think the bird room is a fantastic idea for you & the motormouth should make good company.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I tend to keep my pet zons near the center of activity.

Margarita

Jun 27, 2011
Chicago
Parrots
3 Budgies: Mango, Blues, Plum +2 Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey + 1 WF Amazon: Lucky
I have only one Amazon: White Fronted. He is now with Cockatiel and Budgies in one room, and I don't close their cages. They sleep on one perch and often small ones are picking smaller peaces of food from Lucky's dish- like I starve them;)(Joking, I'm glad, less leftovers)
Our 'Zon likes to be in the center of our activities: as soon as I come home and open door to their room, he is flying in the place, where I am.
Seriously, he is the most in need to be around than rest of birds, but... if I let him to be in the living room without my supervision, I would loose all my flowers and ... furniture. That's why they have their room.

We're planing making our own small kinda aviary inside apartment.

OP
NatWatson

NatWatson

Oct 3, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks guys :) really appreciate your time. I think our zon will need to live in the bird room when we are out, and to sleep. For the sake of our poor Border Collie Sophie anyway. My girls are inside dogs and it is Sophie's self-assigned 'job' to watch the birds. I don't know if you know much about Border Collie's and their 'stare' hahaha, but I fear the poor dog would never be able to clock off work if the zon lived in permenantly outside of the bird room.

;D

Most Reactions

Latest posts