Bird wont leave one spot. What do I do?

TangoBango

Apr 14, 2023
Washington
Parrots
3 pinapple green cheeks
3 african grey parrots
1 senagal parrot
So I took my friends budgie because he was supposed to go back to the pet store but I (a anti wing-clipping person) took the bird knowing that the pet store was going to clip them. I took him home and he was originally scared. I started working with him and he somewhat trusted me. Today I opened his cage and it took him a while to get out the cage because he was comfortable. I found out that his favorite place is my closet. He wont go anywhere else and he wont go on my arm. I want to spend time with him but he wont go near me (which I am fine with) at all. If you have any suggestions on how I can convince him to go to a different spot, please tell me.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
With some birds it takes extra time for them to feel comfortable. Because he's going into the closet I would watch for hormonal behaviour, that could be part of what's going on.
Can you close your closet door so he can't get in there?
I'm so happy you added him to your flock:)

OP
TangoBango

TangoBango

Apr 14, 2023
Washington
Parrots
3 pinapple green cheeks
3 african grey parrots
1 senagal parrot
With some birds it takes extra time for them to feel comfortable. Because he's going into the closet I would watch for hormonal behaviour, that could be part of what's going on.
Can you close your closet door so he can't get in there?
I'm so happy you added him to your flock:)
My closet doors are broken and cant close and I dont see any sign of any hormonal behaviour (yet).

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Hmmm...that makes it a bit harder, then. I'm glad there isn't any hormonal behaviour so far.
Could you put some millet out somewhere away from your closet? Or his favourite treat?

OP
TangoBango

TangoBango

Apr 14, 2023
Washington
Parrots
3 pinapple green cheeks
3 african grey parrots
1 senagal parrot
Hmmm...that makes it a bit harder, then. I'm glad there isn't any hormonal behaviour so far.
Could you put some millet out somewhere away from your closet? Or his favourite treat?
Will do! Thanks.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
OP
TangoBango

TangoBango

Apr 14, 2023
Washington
Parrots
3 pinapple green cheeks
3 african grey parrots
1 senagal parrot
I hope it works! My budgies would have done anything for millet, that was their obsession.
Please update us:)
Update: It didnt work. He is still at that one spot.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
So I took my friends budgie because he was supposed to go back to the pet store but I (a anti wing-clipping person) took the bird knowing that the pet store was going to clip them. I took him home and he was originally scared. I started working with him and he somewhat trusted me. Today I opened his cage and it took him a while to get out the cage because he was comfortable. I found out that his favorite place is my closet. He wont go anywhere else and he wont go on my arm. I want to spend time with him but he wont go near me (which I am fine with) at all. If you have any suggestions on how I can convince him to go to a different spot, please tell me.
My budgies like my clothes closet, too, because of all the great places to perch and all the great fabric textures to chew on. I suppose you could close the closet door. My closet has no door so I can't.

OP
TangoBango

TangoBango

Apr 14, 2023
Washington
Parrots
3 pinapple green cheeks
3 african grey parrots
1 senagal parrot
My budgies like my clothes closet, too, because of all the great places to perch and all the great fabric textures to chew on. I suppose you could close the closet door. My closet has no door so I can't.
Same. My closet also has no door/s! (Well it has 1 door but he can still fly in.)

Most Reactions

Latest posts