Birds Are Really Strange Creatures!

SharonC

May 26, 2010
Fred let me unsheath some of his pin feathers tonight!!! :D This bird can be so grumpy sometimes, but tonight I was his best buddy! I was rubbing the back of his neck before bed, and he let me unwrap the pins that felt so prickly. He leaned in and tipped his head as if I were another bird. When he'd had enough, he gently pushed my hand with his foot. Last night, he didn't want to go to bed, didn't want a neck massage, didn't want any singing...Tonight he wanted it all!!! :rolleyes:

Cowtown

Aug 4, 2010
Media
Great State of Texas
Parrots
Abby 2 year old Female Eclectus & Solomon 12 year old Male CAG & Dickens 4 year old CAG.
Just like a kid...

Abby has been that way for a few days... like leave me alone... unless I want you... LOL

lisamarie973

Sep 25, 2010
Bradenton, FL.
Parrots
Maui - Male CAG (my baby) (Mom's babies) KiKi - Sun Conure, Fred & Wilma - Fisher Lovebirds, Gully,Sweetie,Baby - Cockatiels, Mork & Mindy - Zebra Finches Luna,Sky,Jilly - Budgies 16 Gouldian Finches
Sharon,

My Maui has been rather "distant" from me lately, tonight, I also had SUCH a bonding moment with him, I literally got all teary eyed. It was AMAZING! He was so gentle and sweet and endearing!! They honestly are strange sometimes. I know this sounds CRAZY, but, tonight I decided that rather than to TELL Maui I loved him, I would try to transfer those feelings in energy. So I just closed my eyes and allowed my heart to just fill up with love for him as I was giving him his scratches, all the while thinking or feeling like I was transferring some real loving energy to him. It was like he honestly felt and understood that I love him dearly and want nothing more than to have a good friendship with him AND for him to be happy.

Last edited:

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
They may be, but still not as strange as some people I know ;)

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
heehee!

Cal is very prone to the moodiness. I'm allowed to help with her pins if I'VE been "good" that day. If I haven't "been good" I get uhuhuhuh! NO!

Being good does NOT mean being in the house cleaning all morning or afternoon....bad mummy!

lisamarie973

Sep 25, 2010
Bradenton, FL.
Parrots
Maui - Male CAG (my baby) (Mom's babies) KiKi - Sun Conure, Fred & Wilma - Fisher Lovebirds, Gully,Sweetie,Baby - Cockatiels, Mork & Mindy - Zebra Finches Luna,Sky,Jilly - Budgies 16 Gouldian Finches
LOL! Yeah, I'm strange, I know Bob, but it works for me!!

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I bet our birds think that their guardians are moody sometimesf also. Good thing we do not get pin feathers because they would preen us. I guess some birds do preen us by our hair. I think it is very possible for our pets to read our energy.

lisamarie973

Sep 25, 2010
Bradenton, FL.
Parrots
Spiritbird, I'm totally convinced that Maui is very much able to feel what I'm feeling, obviously to a certain degree. However, for example, several weeks ago, I had some personal family issues that had me feeling rather sad and weepy. As I laid on my bed with my pillows propping my head up, he climbed up on my chest, chirped to me a few times and proceeded to snuggle right in to me, ocassionly looking up at me, kissing my nose and then went back to snuggling up to me. He was trying to make me feel better and he sure did.

Ya know how your bird will fluff up around his head and beak area, making it amost seem as though he's smiling at you? You know, that "happy bird" look, that Grey's in particular can get?? This is what I get from Maui each evening just before I cover his cage, I sing to him a lullabye and then softly and gently caress his head, cheeks and under his mandible for a good while. He LOVES this so very much, but ONLY at this time each evening. If I were to attempt this during his "busy busy" time in the day, he wouldn't much hang around for it.
I honestly believe that most animals are far more in touch with the energy we/they put off than humans are. Humans are able to communicate through language, I think most animals communicate through the energy they put off. They are more in tuned with their 6th sense than we are.

lisamarie973

Sep 25, 2010
Bradenton, FL.
Parrots
LOL! Yeah, I'm strange, I know Bob, but it works for me!!

See, their not only strange, but smart too, figured out right away who I was talking about :09:

You're a mess! :p But, I STILL say, MY bird TOTALLY knows and feels my moods. He knows when I'm sad, happy, angry, tired, busy and he even KNOWS when I'm talking to BOB!!

In fact, he KNOWS that BOB is coming to see him even before BOB gets here. OH yeah, that's probably because I tell him. LOL

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
Both Jade and Max have been especially affectionate lately. Max, the resident grouch, has never liked to be touched and will bite if our hands get too near. But lately he's let both of my sons and my husband pet him and rub his neck. It's weird.

And Jade wants to be petted and scritched almost constantly. Lately, after she's out of her cage in the afternoon and getting scritches and cuddles, she'll perch very low on my ches then half spread her wings like a baby does when resting in the "nest". She's fallen asleep that way a couple times.

Both Max and Jade are molting so I wonder if that has something to do with it.

lordburrito

Oct 26, 2010
Media
Slovenia
Parrots
Lilly, Blue Fronted Amazon Parrot
Johnny, Scarlet Macaw
Chilli, Scarlet Macaw
They are all moody... my Lily somethimes lets me scratch all of her body, and wants to be pet for hours... but when she is in "her mood", and wants to play... then my fingers "pray" , and she is all over me... my fingers hurt... my ears turn red from her bits... but it is all natural... you have to send them "vibes" .... for knowing them, when they cross their limits, Lily always tries to cross it, but from month to month, she is more gentle... I think that on the start, you need to be a little "mazo" , cause only that way, the bird doesn't fell your fell for pain of biting.. and when they realize that you don't care about the pain they make with the bites... they become very gentle :) :) 4 example... when she first bit me real bad... I put my finger in her mouth.. and let her chew my finger... I saw all the stars coming at me becouse of the pain (I really hate the pain, and I am really not a "mazo" ) , but I just wanted to show her, that I don't care for her bites....some of these birds just like our "fast and scary reaction" for the bites, and they are making fun of us.. by biting.. of course.. if you have a grown macaw... you can't do that... cause he shell chop your finger off... but you can do it to hand-fed baby amazon or african grey or something their size... now I am doing just tooo much phylosopy... sorry :))

cwekeybb2350

Banned
Banned
Nov 17, 2010
they are really very strange .sometimes very happy sometimes very sad
but we don't know the reson
but indeed very funny like a child
that's why we like them so mysterious:grey:

Most Reactions