Biting Bird

erlabella

Jan 15, 2018
Media
Faroe Islands
Parrots
2 Budgies, Nacho & Rocky.
Hello :)

So my neighbour has a blue masked lovebird, that bites a lot. They are on a vacation for the weekend and I’m taking care of him/her for them. I have two budgies, so I know about basic bird care, though I’m not a proffesional. I’m having trouble on reading his/her body language and I would like your help.

I don’t know yet what’s causing his/her biting behaviour but I’m guessing it’s either territorial aggression, hormonal issues or fear. He/she chirps a lot (high pitched), especially when I’m in the room. He/she will usually follow me as I’m walking around, climbing on the cage bars, and I don’t know what it means. I offered him/her sunflower seeds through the cage bars and he/she didn’t seem aggressive at all, and ate them straight away. Then I tried offering him/her treats inside his/her cage and he/she acted strange. He/she puffed his/her feathers raised his/her wings a bit (not fully) and bit me. He/she did not lunge at me, but rather bit me (or munched me) a few times (a bit hard). He/she took the treats in my hands, bit me a few times and went back to eating the treats in my hands. I didn’t react in any way, as I’ve read it reinforces the behavior. I talked calmly to him/her and removed my hand slowly away from the cage. I don’t know if I’m doing this right but as I said, I’m not a proffessional.

I’ve seen this behavior in one of my budgies before. Offering him treats and bites me a few times while eating. He is a very nervous and frightful little bird, and I think he bit me because of fear.

I don’t know anything about his/her past, only that the previous owners sold him/her because of aggression. Please help! If anyone knows what this behavior means and how to prevent it feel free to tell me and to ask questions.

OP
E

erlabella

Jan 15, 2018
Media
Faroe Islands
Parrots
I totally forgot to mention that the birds owners have a daughter (around 7 yo).
She can play and pet the bird as she wants and the bird likes her. He/she doesn’t bite her. Only her father. And me. Probably everyone else too.

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Birds bite for a number of reasons, but in this case it is likely because you are a complete stranger and invaded his cage and space, hence the fear and bites. Just think about it. Wouldn't you bite or attack if some stranger came into your house and tried to touch you? Take your hands out of the lovebird's cage and just let him be for the weekend. No need to make him stress out any more then necessary. You can continue to feed him treats through the cage bars but don't attempt to stick your hand inside the cage again if you don't want to get bit anymore. It is not likely to stop attacking you in a weekend, so sop putting yourself in situations to likely get bit.

Last edited:
OP
E

erlabella

Jan 15, 2018
Media
Faroe Islands
Parrots
Thank you. Sounds like a good idea. I’m just very interested in the reason why he bites and I’m not trying to make it worse. He doesn’t just bite me but also many other people. In my case it is probably because of fright cause I’m a stranger, but he bites his owners and previous owners, for (maybe) other reasons. I just want to help them get rid of the biting behaviour, as they don’t really know about lovebird basic care (not trying to be rude or point fingers at anyone, but it’s the truth, sadly). I also have to stick my hand in the cage for the food bowl. He tries to bite me, but luckily he hasn’t.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts