Biting everything

Quincy69

May 7, 2018
So Quincy is now almost 7 months old. Over the past month he has been biting and chewing up everything. Is this just a stage that they go through?

When he bites us I've been returning him to his cage.

We've been making him lots of toys to keep him busy.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Aratingettar

May 29, 2018
Poland
Parrots
Sun t̶e̶r̶r̶o̶r̶i̶s̶t̶ C̶o̶n̶u̶r̶e̶ terrorist Cytrynka (F),
Peach faced lovebird Fiona (F),
Peach faced lovebird Fionek (M)
Well lots have been posted on biting.. IMHO the greatest of advices given was to avoid being bitten at first.

Probably Quincy is undergoing a major molt, it's time for him to start changing his plumage into adult one.. Try to make it easier for him, bathe him a lot and scratch him to help him open the pin feathers.. but be careful as they may be irritating for him to touch.
And chewing yes... it's common for conures. "Toys toys toys!" to mimic 80's Sabrina :D
... and perches. Different sizes, different textures. Good for beak trimming.

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Many reasons for biting! Might be hormonal phases, puberty, irritability with moulting or change of environment, or the way a bird has been socialized.

Bite pressure training may be helpful. Second post for introduction, additional links are provided.

If socialization may be an issue: http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/49144-tips-bonding-building-trust.html

How long have you had Quincy? Any recent changes to his environment or the household in general?

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
I'm gonna ditto it sounds like bite training is needed.

Also I would advise to not put him in the cage when biting, it's not uncommon for parrots to start biting because they want to get in the cage. I would just place him somewhere out of arm's reach

OP
Quincy69

Quincy69

May 7, 2018
Many reasons for biting! Might be hormonal phases, puberty, irritability with moulting or change of environment, or the way a bird has been socialized.

Bite pressure training may be helpful. Second post for introduction, additional links are provided.

If socialization may be an issue: http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/49144-tips-bonding-building-trust.html

How long have you had Quincy? Any recent changes to his environment or the household in general?
Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm hoping it's molt time. We have noticed the feathers on his head changing colors. Starting to grow up right before our eyes. I will look into the bite training.

We have had him since he was 8 weeks old, no changes to his environment.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
If he's molting, then extra baths may help.

Certainly try redirecting or avoid the bites before they occur! Maybe work on foraging activities to keep him busy?

OP
Quincy69

Quincy69

May 7, 2018
This ladder has only been in his cage for 6 days....and he's already destroyed it!.....silly bird!
c55cdcb5f35506183c7ff4d24abe01f2.jpg

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Maybe a good idea to get some scrap wood or untreated 2x4's and start making up some toys!!!

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
Ummm...with the exception of biting you (although somewhat normal) I would say this is 100% completely normal. Birds chew everything or "bite" everything as you have put it. There is nothing you can do about him destroying the toys you put in his cage, that is what they are for, to give him something to chew on therefore enriching his mind and environment. If you want the toys to last longer you could think about getting plastic toys instead of wooden ones.

Last edited:

LeslieA

Aug 21, 2018
Media
Albums
Parrotian Castle
Parrots
Glenn, IRN; Sherman, WCP; JoJo, budgie; Tommy, budgie; Daytona, Sunday; Sir Lancelot, GCC; Duchess, BCC; Chirps, GRP (Green-rumped Parrotlet)
I apologize. What kind is he?

Chewing is totally normal behavior. Putting wooden budgie toys and gyms only heightens that instinct. You might try acrylic toys. Buy him several rope toys that he may chew and then replace them regularly. I bought several dog ropes and dog rope balls for him to chew. This even helped my fids with biting issues over the years.

You may also consider chopsticks as an alternative to flesh. Another option is offering the fist or back ok your hand even your shirted arm works well as STEP UP option. You may need to retrain him to this.

Conures do not follow the often accepted hormonal period rules. What is the same is their biting tendencies and cage aggression. Your sweet baby may also seem to avoid you during this time. It's closely related to mate choice and has little to do with you.

Offer a constant bowl of water for bathing. Much of his biting tendency can simply be replaced with his preening preference.

I can only offer my experiences and. These are the things that have worked for me.

OP
Quincy69

Quincy69

May 7, 2018
Thanks for the replies!

Quincy has plenty of toys to chew up. I make a lot of them from popsicle sticks and beads from the dollar store. He can chew them all he wants. I just thought it was funny that ladder only lasted 6 days.

Trying some things with him, hopefully it works out .... We also believe he's going through his 1st molt.

Caitnah

Mar 24, 2018
Upstate New York
Parrots
GCC Pineapple
My conure is doing the same thing as far as biting. But he is going through his first molt at 8 months old.
Even his "personality" is a bit different as he has become a bit skittish about things whereas, before, he was fearless.
But you can easily see pin feathers on his head and he is changing colors a bit.
His head used to be white and is now turning to a darker grey.

So am guessing that your guy is going through the same thing. And many here have stated that the first molt is the longest.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Biting and chewing are two TOTALLY different behaviors. Biting should be discouraged while chewing is a common behavior with conures. Its natural instinct for them and is actually a great way for them to expell excess energy and is also good mental and physical stimulation. Just provide proper chew toys and 'hopefully' your bird will refer to the more appropriate chewing objects, but its no guarantee. Conures generally have preferences for chewing objects.

Skittles chews up his perches and fabrics. Wood and fabric seem to be his preferences. I don't allow him unsupervised access to fabrics though.

Most Reactions

Latest posts