Black Plam Cockatoo Need Help

Loko

Oct 1, 2016
Miami
Parrots
Sun Conure - Loco
I cant say whether or not its PBFD, but if it were then the owner of that bird is endangering EVERYONES birds by bringing it out. Every single bird that came in close range with that bird would be at risk of having PBFD.. thats a potential tragedy. With that said, I dont think it is PBFD, but Im not a vet so I cant say for sure. Looks more like malnourishment to me.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Its very hard to tell much from the one picture as far as what this birds problem might be. In this picture it looks his beak is twisted, to me. Black palms are rare in the US so their unique appearance makes it hard to say just whats wrong. But I feel you man. I've been to the bird market in Hong Kong, where lots of private owners go on Sundays. Many birds with leg chains. And one Sulphur Crested Cockatoo with a leg chain was in horrible condition, with breast and parts of her wing plucked bare. I have pictures but they are too upsetting to post here. And it makes you feel bad, even mad because you want to help this bird, but she is not yours, and you will most likely never see this poor bird again.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Sorry if such a few words have upset, it was intended as been stated at the person smiling and holding this heart breaking bird, who didn't ask for such poor treatment. I should have said 'why is one smiling?'. If you can do anything to help this regal parrot you will have the thanks of everyone on this forums I am sure. Anything else we can help with please ask.

Loko

Oct 1, 2016
Miami
Parrots
Sun Conure - Loco
Its very hard to tell much from the one picture as far as what this birds problem might be. In this picture it looks his beak is twisted, to me. Black palms are rare in the US so their unique appearance makes it hard to say just whats wrong. But I feel you man. I've been to the bird market in Hong Kong, where lots of private owners go on Sundays. Many birds with leg chains. And one Sulphur Crested Cockatoo with a leg chain was in horrible condition, with breast and parts of her wing plucked bare. I have pictures but they are too upsetting to post here. And it makes you feel bad, even mad because you want to help this bird, but she is not yours, and you will most likely never see this poor bird again.

Interesting. My mom used to travel HK yearly for business. Im going to try to get over there one day and see that; Id like to put together a nice report on street bird markets to raise awareness as well.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Has the bird been showing signs of illness (wheezing, nasal discharge, abnormal droppings, sleeping more than usual etc...), or does it act healthy with just bad looking plumage?

To me, the bird looks unclean, like it has not been bathed in a long time. Parrots need to be misted with water, enough to thoroughly soak the feathers, at least once a week. The owner should buy a new spray bottle (NEVER use one that has had anything but water in it) and spritz the bird with it on the mist (not the hard spray) setting with baby bath temperature water (warm but not hot), then let the bird dry off in a warm room (so it will not catch a chill).

Second, how old is the bird and what is it's diet? Poor diet can also cause poor plumage. If it is eating nothing but seed mix, it needs to be converted to a fortified pellet diet supplemented by fresh fruit and vegetables. If a parrot has been on a poor diet, it can take a long time to see improvement in the plumage as it takes time for them to molt out malnourished feathers and re-grow healthy ones.

Third, how big of a cage is the bird in? Does it have ample room to raise it's crest without brushing it on the top of the cage? Small cages can also cause feather damage as the bird struggles to move around comfortably, or in the case of cockatoos, if there is not enough room above them to raise their crest brushing it along the cage bars can damage the crest feathers.

Lastly, I know leg shackles are still popular in some parts of the world, but they are dangerous and can cause serious injury or amputation/death. The owner needs to buy a body harness for the bird, which is much safer.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
The OP picture is pitiful beyond words. Yet I understand the mores in different locales lends treatment that differs from what most forum members experience and offer to their companions.

OP
K

KingParrot1984

Oct 8, 2016
I cant say whether or not its PBFD, but if it were then the owner of that bird is endangering EVERYONES birds by bringing it out. Every single bird that came in close range with that bird would be at risk of having PBFD.. thats a potential tragedy. With that said, I dont think it is PBFD, but Im not a vet so I cant say for sure. Looks more like malnourishment to me.

Just hope god will bless the bird which no a virus on it...

I know is not mine. But really sad to see this Black plam like this..

Sorry if such a few words have upset, it was intended as been stated at the person smiling and holding this heart breaking bird, who didn't ask for such poor treatment. I should have said 'why is one smiling?'. If you can do anything to help this regal parrot you will have the thanks of everyone on this forums I am sure. Anything else we can help with please ask.

Nvm, thing clears is ok.

SO BAD!!!

Interesting. My mom used to travel HK yearly for business. Im going to try to get over there one day and see that; Id like to put together a nice report on street bird markets to raise awareness as well.

different places different mindset!!

Has the bird been showing signs of illness (wheezing, nasal discharge, abnormal droppings, sleeping more than usual etc...), or does it act healthy with just bad looking plumage?

To me, the bird looks unclean, like it has not been bathed in a long time. Parrots need to be misted with water, enough to thoroughly soak the feathers, at least once a week. The owner should buy a new spray bottle (NEVER use one that has had anything but water in it) and spritz the bird with it on the mist (not the hard spray) setting with baby bath temperature water (warm but not hot), then let the bird dry off in a warm room (so it will not catch a chill).

Second, how old is the bird and what is it's diet? Poor diet can also cause poor plumage. If it is eating nothing but seed mix, it needs to be converted to a fortified pellet diet supplemented by fresh fruit and vegetables. If a parrot has been on a poor diet, it can take a long time to see improvement in the plumage as it takes time for them to molt out malnourished feathers and re-grow healthy ones.

Third, how big of a cage is the bird in? Does it have ample room to raise it's crest without brushing it on the top of the cage? Small cages can also cause feather damage as the bird struggles to move around comfortably, or in the case of cockatoos, if there is not enough room above them to raise their crest brushing it along the cage bars can damage the crest feathers.

Lastly, I know leg shackles are still popular in some parts of the world, but they are dangerous and can cause serious injury or amputation/death. The owner needs to buy a body harness for the bird, which is much safer.

From what i talk to you kid, being told he was adopted from pass owner, who didnt sun light the bird and bath the bird. daily Seed diets. weight is ok on the bird. But the crest feathers area really look weird... Even is on moulting wasnt look like this which there is no pin feathers at alll... Really feel bad on the bird condition. hope previous will have karma...

Last edited by a moderator:

Most Reactions