blue and gold with pimple

arando

Oct 24, 2011
south africa Pretoria
Parrots
blue & gold macaw
Good day everyone

Its a bit difficult holding a macaw and taking photo's at the same time, but i have noticed that Riley has something that looks like a pink pimple on his cheek, and i would really like to know what it might be, i am a bit worried

Thank you

Attachments

• Image035.jpg
    Image035.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 2,474
  • Image036.jpg
    Image036.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 1,882

Safira

Sep 27, 2011
Aberdeen, Md
Parrots
Safira (B&G Macaw)~~ Gracie (CAG) ~ Lucy (CAG)
I bet it's ve ry hard to hold a macaw and take a picture LoL. Mine always wants to eat the camera.

How long has it been there? Could it be a bug bite that swelled up? is it hard or squishy?

JJones1719

Mar 9, 2011
Media
MD
Parrots
7 Year old SI Eclectus named Guapo, I have a 6 year old GW Macaw named Neleno
Check his nails, if they are sharp and pointed, he could have stabbed himself with his nail. My Macaw did that before and this was the main reason why I now keep concrete perches in his cage to knock the tips of his nails off or ware them down. Best of luck Joe

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Check his nails, if they are sharp and pointed, he could have stabbed himself with his nail. My Macaw did that before and this was the main reason why I now keep concrete perches in his cage to knock the tips of his nails off or ware them down. Best of luck Joe

Your post also caused me to think it could be from a toy part as well. Check any metal wire or other sharp parts on the toys in the cage. I know my Grey has turned popsicle sticks into very sharp pieces of wood like daggers.

OP
arando

arando

Oct 24, 2011
south africa Pretoria
Parrots
blue & gold macaw
It feels the same like his skin does not feel hard more like a pimple, his nails are damn sharp i cannot trim them until about november, because he is still a baby and the nails are still growing. all his toys is made of rope and wood. nobody seems to think it is a illness or something bad, so i feel a bit better now. There is nothing different in his behaviour he is still very active and playfull.

I can understand it might be from the nails, he hurts me when he is on my hand and the breeder said i should wait until he is about a year old.

Thank you for all the help

Last edited:

Safira

Sep 27, 2011
Aberdeen, Md
Parrots
Safira (B&G Macaw)~~ Gracie (CAG) ~ Lucy (CAG)
I don't think i've ever heard about waiting a year to trim a birds nails, at least the tips to keep them from being that sharp.

Can you get a cement perch? My Macaw has one and her nails are never sharp.

JJones1719

Mar 9, 2011
Media
MD
Parrots
7 Year old SI Eclectus named Guapo, I have a 6 year old GW Macaw named Neleno
Mine too, concrete perches are the best in keeping the tips of the nails round instead of pointed. Best of luck joe

_Temptations_

Apr 2, 2012
Parrots
Blue and gold macaw
Three cockatiels
Two lovebirds
Two meyers
Two conures
My macaw used to have the same and i figured out it was from me kissing him with chapstick or any kind of lip balm on my lips.

OP
arando

arando

Oct 24, 2011
south africa Pretoria
Parrots
blue & gold macaw
havent seen cement perches in the petshops , but i will ask them if it is availible - is there anything else you can use if i cannot find cement?

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Good day everyone

Its a bit difficult holding a macaw and taking photo's at the same time, but i have noticed that Riley has something that looks like a pink pimple on his cheek, and i would really like to know what it might be, i am a bit worried

Thank you

It is possible your bird has the start of Macaw Acne. The signs are small swellings on the face. This is caused by small ingrown feathers on the face & eyelids of Macaw's. These birds often need simple surgery to release the trapped feathers as well as antibiotic injections.

For perches i use natural tree branch with the bark attached & about 3 to 4 inches in diameter, that way their nails dig into the wood & eventually blunts the nail tip.

Last edited:

VAOTR

Jun 23, 2016
Looks similar to what my bird has on his face, been trying to figure out if it is an allergy? He is young also, almost 2.

Attachments

• 20160623_203852.jpg
    20160623_203852.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 391

Most Reactions

Latest posts