blue crown and sun conure in same cage? help...

joshua.chandler

Sep 30, 2013
CT :(
Parrots
sun conure
i currently have a 2yo sun conure and came across a blue crown conure in need of a good home. i am very interested in picking him up tonight having his own cage, but my ultimate goal would be to only have one cage.... will the two conures possibly get along or is there something horribly wrong with my idea?

Julianna

Feb 4, 2013
Media
Olympia, WA
Parrots
Pippi, my white-bellied caique
I don't know a whole lot about either species, but it doesn't seem like a good idea to put any two species in the same cage. Because they have different sizes and temperaments, things often don't work out when birds of different species are caged together. However, it does depend on the specific birds and circumstances, as every bird is different. Your best bet would probably be to just use separate cages to be on the safe side, though. Good luck!

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Ruby- Solomans Island Grand Eclectus ***
Flora- Panama Amazon
I have fostered both of these two species, and I would not recommend housing them in the same cage. The sun's are much louder than the blue crowns IMO. When I fostered both at the same time, the blue crowns were really off put by the constant screeching of the suns. The size difference is also another issue to think about. I wouldn't recommend caging them together, if you can't accomodate 2 cages, I wouldn't recommend getting the second bird.

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
Sugar the Blue Crown Conure♂, Merlin the Camelot Macaw♂
they may get along they may not as stated they ahve different personalities i have had a blue crown who hated suns cause they were obnoxious and one who liked them it all depends. you would have to start very slow and of course the cage would need to be twice the size and you should go through a 30 day quarantine on the new bird or get blood work done before they are even in the same room.

KeroRocks

Feb 20, 2013
Massachusetts
Parrots
Sheldon-M- GCC |
Cooper -F--Yellow sided GCC | Dori -F- Blue Quaker | Marley -M- Sun Conure | Kero -M- Hahn's Macaw | Sam-M- CAG
|Yara -F- RFM | Boo -F- Red Rump parakeet
One of the problems you risk when housing two birds in one cage is them bonding to each other stronger than they've bonded to you.

I have a Green Cheek named Sheldon, I had him for a while before getting a second Green Cheek, I call him Cooper. I had them in separate cages but Sheldon would fly over to Cooper's cage and sit next to him, preen him, etc. And Cooper loved it. I couldn't keep them apart so I moved Cooper into Sheldon's cage.

While it's great for Sheldon and Cooper it now means neither one of them will let me touch them. Sheldon goes for the killer bite every time. He has totally bonded with Cooper and I'm the intruder.

To make a long story short (too late) if you house the birds together you run the risk of them bonding to each other instead of you.

Most Reactions