Feeding

Is it a good idea to leave a bowl of food at all
Times or have set meal time?

Still a new parrot owner

Thanks

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
We do meal times at my house. Breakfast, a light lunch snack, and then dinner after nap time.

You could have a bowl that always has pellets in it so if s/he gets hungry in between there's something to munch on.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Since amazons are so prone to overeating, obesity, fatty liver disease and overall unhealthy eating habits (compared to other species), I prefer to feed Kiwi portioned meals on a schedule. And because my bird as an individual is not keen on eating his fresh produce, he gets his fruit and veg first, and only after he has eaten a good amount, then he gets his other food (he gets cooked grains in lieu of pellets or seed and usually some kind of birdie bread or other healthy treat). He gets his produce first so he won't ignore it and just eat the other food. I give him about an hour to eat and take it away before it spoils. He also gets small bites of human food off the table and I leave a little seed (not a full dish, just a little, like a small handful) in his cage during the day for snacking.

Because he gets cooked grains instead of dry food (which is more filling, more expensive and for him at least, has less waste), he gets a heaping spoonful at a setting, which he usually eats most of. Birdie bread is given in roughly 1x1" squares. He typically gets the equivalent of 1/8cup of fresh produce at a setting. There is very little waste with those portions, it's just right for him. If you feed pellets or seed, about 1/3 cup is a good portion per meal for an amazon. They do not need nor eat all of an overflowing dish of food. That promotes overeating and wastes food, as you throw out so much uneaten food when you change it and give the option to sit there and eat WAY more than they need. Kiwi stays at around 415-420 grams on his diet, which is a healthy weight range for a BFA.

Last edited:
P

ParrytheParrot

Well you could keep pellets in a bowl and feed him what he likes on his meal times.

Friday13

Apr 3, 2014
Singapore
Parrots
YNA(Zoro), Parrotlet(Bubbles)
I find my Zons most healthy and active with my following feeding patterns,

Those healthy grains that they dislike in reasonable portions in their food dish with a tablespoonful of pellets when I am away working. I can be away for a much as 12 hrs a day.

Treats like seeds and nuts and fresh fruits when I am back home. Do this for a week's routine and I usually find my new birds calling out to me when I turned my door keys.

Happy Parroting! :green:

Most Reactions