BlueThroatedMacaw

BlueToast

Oct 18, 2009
Media
South Jersey
Parrots
Severe Macaw
BlueThroatedMacaw.jpg
I have been a parrot enthusiast for only about 4 months now but today at the mall a calendar with a picture of what i thought was the
coolest looking Blue&Gold I've ever seen got my attention. I am preparing to adopt a B&G in the future although this will require a relocation on my part, considering the size of my apartment, it would not be fair to either my neighbors or the bird. My girl has a SevereMacaw that suits our current arrangement, but as soon as we cant get into a single family house it's on for a B&G, a GreenWing and more than likely the standard issue AfricanGray. they're so common, for some reason I though you were just given one when you bought something from the pet store!??
Back to the calendar, if you notice the lack of the color black, the seemingly misplaced blue patch and the blue feather lines around the eyes it is obvious that this is not a B&G. At first i thought maybe i was looking at a hybrid. Turning over the calendar i find out this a a BlueThroatedMacaw. Peaking my interests, when i got home tonight I checked in the Wikipedia and i am finding out that they are native to North Central Bolivia. The BlueThroatedMacaw is not a forest dwelling bird, but native to a desert savanna dotted with palm tree oasis's in the Beni Department of Boliviawhat ever that is? More importantly though there is estimated to be only 250-300 of these birds remaining in the wild d@mm shame! Of course the avian pet trade is immediately slammed as the main cause of this bird's critical endangerment. However, it is acknowledged that land reclamation by cattle ranchers for use as crazing pasture could possibly be contributing to the declining population. think about that the next time your enjoying your dumpster burger from McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's etc.... The article also tells that the bird is thriving in captivity. Does any one know if this species is kept as a pet and if so what is their personality like? The one thing that really draws me to Blue&Golds is this one 11yr old in the consignment section of the local exotic bird store. The bird is such a character, it does impersonations of other animals ie: woof and meow and will also tell you "good Job" as you pet him. I am hoping that he is adopted soon, but if not when my situation allows me to offer a home to a few good birds i'll grab him up in a second. But something that has bothered me several time as i explore the avian pet culture is the stigma the capture of wild birds to be sold as pets brings to it. What idiot would want a wild caught bird. I can only imagine but I think that wild bird would spend it's time in captivity being royally and rightfully p!$$#d off as would any other prisoner. So what are wild birds used for, breeding? I don't know? But as I continue in my interest I find that these "conservationists" are wrong fully blaming the demand of wild caught birds directly onto the avian enthusiast. I know my bird wasn't caught in the wild. I'm pretty sure that my Pepper is at least 5th generation domesticated and has a great life here at home with us. Also, some of my first impressions of this community was how responsible and dedicated the majority of the participants were to their birds. And as i go on I cant help but to notice how many breeders there are. Readily offering domestically raised hand fed birds of every variety that are offspring of parents who are several generations into captivity. So much so that rescue shelters have to be established in every region to absorb the surplus. In many cases these shelters are funded by the charity of the avian enthusiast. So how could there be a demand for wild caught bird, at least in the United States. I wonder if these are true "conservationists" making these accusations or is the avian community becoming the victim of a corporate spin doctor trying to take the heat off of their McCorporation and bring their dollar menu disasters for only a few pennys cost per unit to the fatty pig fatty's who line up in droves to consume them by the sackful-BlueToast

Last edited:

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
Wow, this is my very first post! I don't own a blue-throat, but a friend of ours just brought his new blue-throat home from the breeder. Zeus has been in their home for just a week and has adapted beautifully. I believe this is due to the way the breeder raised him. Our friends were encouraged to visit often and bond with him as early as possible. He's an amazing bird. He's as cuddly as lots of dogs I know.

The other blue-throats that this breeder has are all incredibly friendly and accepting of strangers. Only 1 of hers bites. She is very good about giving history on the species and, after talking to prospective owners, making a recommendation on which bird is the best for you.

In my limited experience with blue-throats, they are very affectionate, cuddly, comical birds that are also relatively quite.

Most Reactions

Latest posts