Body Language HELP

OP
Birdmom12

Birdmom12

Jan 21, 2019
Parrots
Parakeet named Blue. Adopted from a Humane Society 5 years ago.

Kirby Cockatiel adopted from a humane society 2018.

Also a slew of other small birds that span my entire childhood.
Thank you, He only recently started to warm up to me after I started target training. He has also seemed to mellow down some with his surroundings. Initially when brought him home you could tell he was tense and eyes were always flashing. Now he seems relaxed, puffs up and preens, and continues to show interested in targeting. Overall he is typically happy to relax cage top.

Originally he would watch me curiously from cage top. He would get close and eye me happy to investigate what I was doing. Now if I ignore him whether I mean to or not he fly's to my shoulder. Last time this happened he happy transferred from my self to my husband a couple of times. Each time he was polite and rewarded for behaving this way. I've noticed if he gets bored, or something happens he doesn't agree for he fly's back to his cage top.

Honestly I would prefer to have him be an arm bird vs a shoulder bird. Right now though his comfort level seems to be at shoulder. Obviously though this comes with the issue of not being able to read him from this position.

When asked to step up from the shoulder its iffy. Some days he will others he wont. He always steps down onto his cage top though...that he is comfortable with. Suggestions on how to work him into the arm more?

Last edited:
OP
Birdmom12

Birdmom12

Jan 21, 2019
Parrots
Parakeet named Blue. Adopted from a Humane Society 5 years ago.

Kirby Cockatiel adopted from a humane society 2018.

Also a slew of other small birds that span my entire childhood.
Wrench, I feel like HUGE progress has been made! I also watched a salty video last night. It was incredibly to see how much he knows. I knew amazons were intelligent but seeing it in action was new to me.

I hope to some day get to a similar space with George...baby steps first though.

Most Reactions