Bonding

Iambigsy

Apr 1, 2014
After reading several posts and books etc I understand usually parrots generally take to just one person but it appears with my Alfie he will let anyone scratch him and even enter his cage he prefers me the most but any of my friends touch him he's not fussed,

Maybe he's really friendly :)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Not all parrots ONLY bond with only one person. :)

My Hunter (15 year old YN) loves on every single family member in the house. :D

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
Some birds are 1 person bonded, others are literally social butterflies!! Some types are more prone to one person syndrome, such as senegals pop into my head. But I have met very well socialized sennies that happily go from person to person.

Is there a specific bird you are thinking of? And what age?

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
My zons, once I got them trained, would always go to just about anybody. They were more selective about who they let touch.

It's really about socializaton. If they interact with a lot of people, then they will. If they pair bond with one person, they are less inclined to go to anyone else.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
My Red Bellied parrot (Senegal relative) was a one person bird for MANY years. Up until his teens... Then he met my husband who had no real bird experience to speak of, and the two of them instantly fell in love! I was completely astonished :11: how he literally became a TWO person bird overnight!!

I agree about the early socialization for any species though. In Robin's case who knows what happened, as I'm sure it's unusual. I'm just glad it did.

OP
I

Iambigsy

Apr 1, 2014
Raven I feel the same I want to padlock his cage because I want his attention all to myself lol

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
My Red Bellied parrot (Senegal relative) was a one person bird for MANY years. Up until his teens... Then he met my husband who had no real bird experience to speak of, and the two of them instantly fell in love! I was completely astonished :11: how he literally became a TWO person bird overnight!!

I agree about the early socialization for any species though. In Robin's case who knows what happened, as I'm sure it's unusual. I'm just glad it did.

It's like the "amazon crush," or the "macaw gene" it's something they sense in us, and they respond to IT, though nobody really knows what IT is.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Some birds are 1 person bonded, others are literally social butterflies!! Some types are more prone to one person syndrome, such as senegals pop into my head. But I have met very well socialized sennies that happily go from person to person.

Is there a specific bird you are thinking of? And what age?

Sennie's have 'TUDE... In order to handle them, you have to match them 'TUDE for 'TUDE...

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie

It's like the "amazon crush," or the "macaw gene" it's something they sense in us, and they respond to IT, though nobody really knows what IT is.

That's really interesting. Not just with birds, but some people just have "IT" with animals period. I can tell you that I personally DON'T have "IT". :( As far as pet types of animals go, I've been bitten by dogs, slashed by cats, and of course bitten by birds. I love animals but they don't love me :17: (except of course Robin and Raven ;)).
In recent years though, I've come to the conclusion that since I've always been a faster moving person who can look stressed out even when I'm not, I bet that has something if not everything to do with it. I'm better about being conscious of it these days.

dreamin_sqaw

Oct 19, 2013
Media
My zons, once I got them trained, would always go to just about anybody. They were more selective about who they let touch.

It's really about socializaton. If they interact with a lot of people, then they will. If they pair bond with one person, they are less inclined to go to anyone else.

Agree birdman.
My Sammy will not have anything to do with anyone but me. He will dart from my shoulder to center of my chest if my husband walks in the room.
The only time he will let anyone hold him is when he has flown to the floor. He will let others pick him up starts reaching for me soon as they get him.

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
Ravengirl, sounds like you've earned your stripes, lol.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Ravengirl, sounds like you've earned your stripes, lol.

You mean by being bitten by all those animals? LOL. Add a giant gecko too, though that's expected, as they aren't handleable like the others.
I'll just say I'm done getting bit (except by birds since it's inevitable at some point). Bird bites hurt, but mammal bites can be way worse..

OrangeWingedKiwi

May 31, 2013
Parrots
Lily - Double Yellow Headed Amazon

Kiwi - Orange Winged Amazon

Princess - Pearl Pied Cinnamon

Chicken - Pearl Pied Cinnamon
I would say every bird is different, Kiwi my OWA is bonded to me and my g/f while Lily lets everyone interact with her ( still a baby).

Most Reactions