Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Locking up a Grey for that period is going to give him great pause before interacting. You're on the right track!!

OP
Billdore

Billdore

Nov 12, 2016
Vermont
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
Hes really been doing great both he and I are learning a lot everyday. I'm learning his body language and No means NO. when he doesnt want to step up right now I have to except that and see what I can get out of him. Bringing him a new treat each day. Someone on here was recommending 1 dried organic cranberry a day. Boy did he love that. Green beans he really like the little bean inside the pod. He tried a strawberry he liked making a mess but not really eating it. Organic dried apple ring he liked the first little piece but got sick of it fast. Gonna get some banana chips next time i think. He went crazy for a chestnut also. He did not like Kale. I'll have to try some other dark green veggie. He liked the organic baby carrots. Whats another healthy snack that I can have him try?

OP
Billdore

Billdore

Nov 12, 2016
Vermont
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
Do you think its too early to put a deposit on this bird? I dont really want to force anyone or anything to like me. I do really feel like i'm making some great progress the last few days though. I asked the owners of the store if I could put a deposit down but keep him in the store till my house was bird ready. This way its easier on the wallet but I'm thinking hes getting the best socialization he can in the pet store. I have a few friends and family member to help me but nothing liek what he sees in the pet store. he sits all day with teh cage wide open free to interact with whoever he pleases. I worry about his diet in there but I think hes got pretty primo care. I'm definitely falling for this little guy.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
Just a thought...if you are asking if the bird is right for you, the answer might be no. Right now you are unencumbered, and the first bird you adopt might be your lifelong companion. There is an endless supply of birds that need new homes, sadly. When you see a bird where you KNOW that's the one...when you don't even think of asking for advice because it doesn't matter what anybody says, YOU WANT THAT BIRD, that one, then you will be a happy parront. Right now they all look wonderful because they are! But one is more wonderful than all the others. Go find that one!

Puck

Mar 8, 2015
I am the one who always argues this a little bit, so you may want to take what others say over the person who is That Guy when it comes to this subject, but I'm That Guy who doesn't believe in the one chosen bird thing. I believe that (especially with certain temperaments of people) it is not uncommon to have doubts and that doesn't mean that's not your bird, it just means that you may have to put more work into the bird and your relationship. I never mean these statements as an actual argument against what knowledgeable people like Kentukienne and the many others who support this idea are saying because they may be right... I just know that with my personality and the way I am about animals, if I waited for my chosen bird or a bird to choose me or however you want to word it, I would never end up with a bird (or a lover lol). It's just not my personality; things have to grow on me. I am all for encouraging people not to buy on a whim, but I want to acknowledge that the "chosen one" that you will just "know" is right without question is not universal and doesn't apply to everyone so that people new to parrots won't be turned off getting one if they're like me but would make great parronts. This bird MIGHT be right for you, despite you having to ask, though I might give it another week or so before putting down a deposit to be sure. Again, Kentukienne and others are often right with the chosen bird idea, but I did want to give another POV of a differently wired person. :)

EDIT: I wanted to add that I ALWAYS fall in love with every hookbill I see and want them... it's just simply that I have had birds my whole life (owned over 20 including my childhood aviary of budgies) and I have yet to meet one I instantly felt bonded with, like we specifically had something special. I am just the sort of person who is a bit more "observational" at first, possibly because my biggest experience with animals is with horses and you are taught to be The Boss when being around these very large animals. So it's not that I don't instantly love birds, it's just that I have met tons and have never felt like one HAD to be mine because it was perfect, despite later bonding super deeply with my birds. I always had some doubts about whether or not this would be the right bird for me.

Last edited:
OP
Billdore

Billdore

Nov 12, 2016
Vermont
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
I fell in love with this bird right away despite the biting and poor attitude. Its primarily been my own fault for lack of experience and over excitement. I've probably worked with this little guy about 6 hours now and I never get tired of him but he does tire of me. Winning his affection would brighten my world.

OP
Billdore

Billdore

Nov 12, 2016
Vermont
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
Though there is plenty of time and I don't plan on rushing anything. There are lots of birds out there and I am inexperienced with parrots. I fell in love with the breed and its no wonder that i fell for the first Timneh I saw.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
I don't mean to discourage you! I've just been reading a lot lately about abandoned/thrown away parrots, and seeing what happens at a local rescue, and I have picked up a little bit of discouragement. People are human, and whereas a parrot usually bonds for life ... Well, you know what humans do. That's why I advocate for the strongest possible bond at the outset ... A bird that you LOVE LOVE LOVE and that LOVES LOVES LOVES you, so you get off to a good start (still need training, etc for both of you) and create a strong enough bond to carry through the inevitable difficult times ... A bond that is more than an owner and a pet, but a bond among two intelligent creatures. Anything to keep another bird from winding up like our Gus - he went from a pampered, spoiled rotten macaw to a neglected bird in a dark, poop filled cage all because his human had terrible difficulties. You understand, it's not me having any bad thoughts about YOU or trying to talk you out of bird love ... It's my own sadness and pessimism because of what I see. Once you pick, love hard!

OP
Billdore

Billdore

Nov 12, 2016
Vermont
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
All advice is welcomed advice thats why Im here. I actually encourage people to tel me why I maybe shouldn't get a bird. I love the bond and I love the idea of having my friend for life. I hope all goes well but we all know how that goes. I am where I plan to be for many years if not the rest of my life however so I feel like thats a plus in stability.

OP
Billdore

Billdore

Nov 12, 2016
Vermont
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
So I have decided to take the plunge and Timneh the African Grey Parrot is officially on hold for yours truely. She will stay in the store until after Christmas while I check and re-check my house to make sure its as bird safe as I can make it. Any suggestions for something I might need that I didn't realize I might need? Theres a great list of essential things you need. She has most of her living accessories already.

OP
Billdore

Billdore

Nov 12, 2016
Vermont
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
Also right now I think the store is actually a great place for her too. I see her everyday and she has her cage opened in the morning and is free to play around on her play stand and cage all day admired by people and the staff loves her particularly on woman who Timneh loves and has a great bond with. I'm hoping to keep him as social as possible and let him see me interact with other people. He doesnt have to love everybody just hoping he can tolerate them loll.

Most Reactions