breeding Green Cheek Conures

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
Sugar the Blue Crown Conure♂, Merlin the Camelot Macaw♂
I recently got a breeding pair of Green Cheek Conures (3 days ago) they are a proven pair 4 years old and I gave them a cockatiel nest box outside their cage you know by opening a door and attaching the box to that opening so they can get in it but they wont go near it! what should i do? does it just take lots of time? I breed lovebirds and they went right into the nest box first time I gave it to them and same with the Sun Conures I used to breed.

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Ruby- Solomans Island Grand Eclectus ***
Flora- Panama Amazon
In my opinion a cockatiel nesting box is much too small for GCC's and the wrong style. My blue crown conures have a boot style box that is 16"wide x 12"tall x 8" on the boot part. You will also probably have to give them time to adjust to their new surroundings, most aren't going to breed with a recent move.

OP
MarciaLove

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
i thought it a bit small as well but the previous owner sad she out the cockatiel nest box and larger one in their cage and they always chose the cockatiel one for her so i thought id give them the one they liked thanks for the answer ill try a boot box as well :) and i hope needing time to adjust is all it is

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
I use a grandfather style box (22" H x 9" W x 8" D) and it took about 3 or 4 weeks for my new crimson pair to go into it.

amysaviary

Dec 16, 2011
Chambersburg PA
Parrots
African Grey-Kenya
Blue and Gold- Baby
Jenday Conure- Izzy
Hahns Macaw- Derby
Cockatiel- Lemon
Senegal-Dylan

I breed, Sun, Green Cheek, Black Capped and Crimson Bellied Conures. Also IRN's
I think they need time. 3 days in a new place I would not feel safe to do anything yet! lol! I use cockatiel nest boxes for my GCC. They tend to like the smaller boxes better and if u think about it GCC r smaller then tiels. I say give them time!

OP
MarciaLove

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
thanks all i am prepared to wait for them to breed. I do have great news last night i caught them both in the nest box! i opened the cage door to put millet in and they scrambled out though.

Most Reactions