brown poop?

Iago

Nov 8, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Parrots
Petrie ~ Green Cheek Conure
Iago! ~ Sun Conure - RIP 11/20/2021
Iago has been having brownish poop lately which has also been more watery than normal what does this mean? He is acting normal, talkative and cuddley so I'm not sure what to think about it

OP
Iago

Iago

Nov 8, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Parrots
Thanks spiritbird. That site was really helpful and it seems to be ok but I am still a little concerned. Could I post a pic of his poop and maybe get other peoples opinions on it when I get home?

GreenCheek

Aug 27, 2009
Baltimore, Maryland
Parrots
1 Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure: Cody <3
Yeah, you can do that. I have noticed that Cody's poop changes depending on what he eats that day. If he eats mostly fresh fruits/vegetables and not many pellets, his poop is brown and more watery (well, the actual "poop" is still solid, there is just more liquid excreted). However, I noticed if he eats mostly pellets that day (rainbow colored), his poop is red with less liquid. I'm sure if he ate other foods it would change too! Your boy sounds normal but if you want to be safe, post a pic. :)

OP
Iago

Iago

Nov 8, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Parrots
Sorry for the delay. This is the best pic I could get and It's really blurry.:/ but based on the article and what you guys have said I think he is ok! :)

Attachments

• IMAG0019.jpg
    IMAG0019.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 14,325

Tmarrical

Jan 15, 2017
I was wondering if you ever got an answer to your question. I have a Dusky Conure and he just started having brown poop Just wanted to know if it was something to worry about. Thank you.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
What have you been feeding your fid lately? Also, any juice (or other 'non-water' beverage?). Fruits and veggies can alter the color of droppings as well as its consistency. For example, if your fid eats a lot of strawberries, then having watery droppings that are red in color is totally normal.

Just like us humans, what we eat and drink directly affects the color and consistency of our poops, same is true for birds.

If there has been no change in diet and the droppings have been like this for several days then I would schedule a vet visit. Even if your fid is eating, drinking and behaving normally, there could still be an underlying issue- birds are masters of disguise. You don't want to wait til you see signs of illness, as then it can often be too late.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Side note, I could not load the linked page, so my advice is my own.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
If you feed your parrot the same thing every day ( and it's OK admit that here) and his poops changed to this brown, I would schedule a vet visit, pretty soon, like monday or tuesday. If his diet changes a lot, his poops can change, from this brown to green, more or less water, etc. But if his poops stay this brownish, even tho his diet changes, vet visit also.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
I just noticed the original post was from 2011. I thought they were posting recently. lol

Most Reactions

Latest posts