Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
To bring newbies up to speed, I brought Buddy, my GCA, home almost three years ago. Buddy is 27 yo, and I received a call from a cousin asking if I wanted a bird because he knew I loved birds. I hadn't had a bird since 2004 since I traveled weekly by plane and in 2011 I took a new job that has me working from home. His mother and step father had passed so my cousin was looking for a new home. Irony.... Buddy was at the police department being held because the city didn't have the right facilities for parrots, lol!!!!!! Why was he with the police? His step father was missing and the officers did a wellness check and found him deceased. Buddy had no food or water because of the length of time to find the step father. The officers hooked him up. So the officers were enjoying his clown skills.

At the time I was looking to find a bird, I was looking at a cockatoo but the too didn't seem interested. When my cousin called and asked me to take Buddy, I went to the police station and Buddy was so sweet!!!! I took him home, signed paperwork and loaded him up in his cage in the back seat of my truck. Husband was with me and fearful. On the way home we stopped at Sonic to get drinks and Buddy is talking. I look at him and he pressed his head against the cage bars so I reached over and gave him a scritch. We bonded that fast! Not typical but it happens.

So since he's been with us, we know he has a big vocabulary but he hasn't really shared that for the last three years until the last two weeks. I've posted over the last few years about Buddy closet talking meaning he won't talk if we are in the room, but he will talk if we are out of the room. It's like he's baiting us to come back. I'm still trying to understand what he's saying but he's recently been talking up a storm when I'm in the kitchen and he can't see me. I was told he loves "Rock Around The Clock" and he will dance but I'm not doing it right. I play it a lot, working on him. More to come!

For newbies, be patient! If you bring home any parrot, you must be patient!!!! Patience is sooooo key!!!!! You will be amazed by what they reveal!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
So, you are saying that Buddy bonded with you, sitting in the back seat of a pick-up truck, in Sonic's parking lot, right? After you picked him up at the police station, right? And, you are sticking with this story, right?

And, people just do not get bird people, like we are crazy or something!

Hey, the story makes prefect sense to me! But than again, I'm both a bird (parrot) person and an Amazon Snob!!!

JBassset

Oct 18, 2016
Boise
Parrots
3 year old GC Conure
13 year old B&G Macaw
My heart broke a little to think of him alone, without food or water with his owner deceased in the same house.... that must have been hell on him.

But it sounds like the police took good care and now he's in a GREAT home.

Thanks for the share!

OP
Taw5106

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
So, you are saying that Buddy bonded with you, sitting in the back seat of a pick-up truck, in Sonic's parking lot, right? After you picked him up at the police station, right? And, you are sticking with this story, right?

And, people just do not get bird people, like we are crazy or something!

Hey, the story makes prefect sense to me! But than again, I'm both a bird (parrot) person and an Amazon Snob!!!

Sorry I'm lost.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
Taw5106

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
My heart broke a little to think of him alone, without food or water with his owner deceased in the same house.... that must have been hell on him.

But it sounds like the police took good care and now he's in a GREAT home.

Thanks for the share!

I agree, he did well and got the help needed. The police did help him out and enjoyed his clown activities. He loves women. I was shocked that he bonded with me so quickly. Since that day he has been my buddy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most Reactions