Budgie babys and candling

Angelica

Nov 29, 2023
I've been very very careful with candling my budgies first lay of eggs 1 baby has hatched one egg is infertile and the other one has me stumped you can not see anything it's black inside but you can faintly see vains and what I thought was a blood ring is that even possible for budgie eggs and if so what does it mean for the baby?

OP
Angelica

Angelica

Nov 29, 2023
I cleaned out the nest after this photo since lemon my budgie baby mom was out didn't want to stress her

Attachments

• 20231129_031624.jpg
    20231129_031624.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 18

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
That’s a nice chubby looking baby 🙂Unfortunately, a blood ring in an egg would mean that the chick inside is not alive. However, an egg that’s all dark but has a small light spot at the fat end indicating an air sac, could be a viable egg!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I've been very very careful with candling my budgies first lay of eggs 1 baby has hatched one egg is infertile and the other one has me stumped you can not see anything it's black inside but you can faintly see vains and what I thought was a blood ring is that even possible for budgie eggs and if so what does it mean for the baby?
How long ago was the egg laid? (The one that's black inside)
Did you candle the one that hatched?
The egg will look black inside when the baby bird is almost ready to hatch.
It may also look black inside if the developing chick died.
How old is the hatched baby!

OP
Angelica

Angelica

Nov 29, 2023
That’s a nice chubby looking baby 🙂Unfortunately, a blood ring in an egg would mean that the chick inside is not alive. However, an egg that’s all dark but has a small light spot at the fat end indicating an air sac, could be a viable egg!
That's what I'm confused about I can't really see anything in the egg I'm really confused about it as well I'm not sure if there's a air sac either I can't see into the egg at all

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
That's what I'm confused about I can't really see anything in the egg I'm really confused about it as well I'm not sure if there's a air sac either I can't see into the egg at all
When the baby is about to hatch he will puncture the air sac at the end and start peeping inside the egg. My budgie Rocky started peeping inside the day she hatched. It was so exciting!

OP
Angelica

Angelica

Nov 29, 2023
When the baby is about to hatch he will puncture the air sac at the end and start peeping inside the egg. My budgie Rocky started peeping inside the day she hatched. It was so exciting!
Today was the 11th day the other budgie has gotten out of the egg aren't they supposed to hatch 2 or 3 days after the other? (Sorry never had budgies lay before)

OP
Angelica

Angelica

Nov 29, 2023
How long ago was the egg laid? (The one that's black inside)
Did you candle the one that hatched?
The egg will look black inside when the baby bird is almost ready to hatch.
It may also look black inside if the developing chick died.
How old is the hatched baby!
Unfortunately I didn't realize my budgie laid eggs till I found the hatched one but I marked the day I found the hatched baby which was the 19th of this month

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Unfortunately I didn't realize my budgie laid eggs till I found the hatched one but I marked the day I found the hatched baby which was the 19th of this month
Really? Where did she lay the eggs? She must have been sitting on the eggs for about 18 days almost continuously. Didn't you notice she was "missing'".
Unfortunately I
Unfortunately I didn't

OP
Angelica

Angelica

Nov 29, 2023
Really? Where did she lay the eggs? She must have been sitting on the eggs for about 18 days almost continuously. Didn't you notice she was "missing'".
Okay so it's a coconut hide she has always hung around it before chewing on the fibers so I didn't notice anything unusual besides her fighting with my old female budgie azul

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Today was the 11th day the other budgie has gotten out of the egg aren't they supposed to hatch 2 or 3 days after the other? (Sorry never had budgies lay before)
They would hatch about every other day IF the eggs were laid every other day AND she began sitting on them full time after the last egg was laid. If she laid the last egg 10 days after the first one the last one may still hatch. It's unusual but I'd wait a few more days before giving up on that last egg.

OP
Angelica

Angelica

Nov 29, 2023
They would hatch about every other day IF the eggs were laid every other day AND she began sitting on them full time after the last egg was laid. If she laid the last egg 10 days after the first one the last one may still hatch. It's unusual but I'd wait a few more days before giving up on that last egg.
I'll keep that in mind thank you for your help

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
A blood ring forms when the embryo stops developing in an early stage while the chick is still just a mass of blood vessels and a heartbeat.

OP
Angelica

Angelica

Nov 29, 2023
A blood ring forms when the embryo stops developing in an early stage while the chick is still just a mass of blood vessels and a heartbeat.
That makes much more sense to me so if the whole egg can't really be seen through does that mean the baby is still alive?

OP
Angelica

Angelica

Nov 29, 2023
I also thought it could happen at anytime so that clears that up to me alot more now I've never had budgies lay eggs before this is my budgies first lay

OP
Angelica

Angelica

Nov 29, 2023
But is it also possible that the egg should've hatched by now but it got stuck?

OP
Angelica

Angelica

Nov 29, 2023
It's very possible that the chick stopped developing (died) at a late stage. It just wouldn't show as a blood ring.
Alright I'll keep an eye on it and check everyday like I have been and keep everyone posted

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
That makes much more sense to me so if the whole egg can't really be seen through does that mean the baby is still alive?
Before my baby budgie Rocky hatched last year I wasn't sure the egg was alive until Rocky started chirping inside the egg. She hatched later that same day. I had been candling the egg every few days and all I saw was a black mass filling almost the entire shell. I thought maybe the contents of the egg were rotten and almost gave up hope. I was thrilled when Rocky chirped from inside the egg. I had the egg in an incubator since it was laid. The Mama budgie couldn't care for her eggs so I had to take them away from her and incubate them myself. When a Rocky hatched I had to hand feed her. She's one year old now.

OP
Angelica

Angelica

Nov 29, 2023
Before my baby budgie Rocky hatched last year I wasn't sure the egg was alive until Rocky started chirping inside the egg. She hatched later that same day. I had been candling the egg every few days and all I saw was a black mass filling almost the entire shell. I thought maybe the contents of the egg were rotten and almost gave up hope. I was thrilled when Rocky chirped from inside the egg. I had the egg in an incubator since it was laid. The Mama budgie couldn't care for her eggs so I had to take them away from her and incubate them myself. When a Rocky hatched I had to hand feed her. She's one year old now.
I'll candle the egg again tomorrow and see if I can get a good picture to show you to see if that's what you seen with your bird rocky

Most Reactions

Latest posts