Budgie babys and candling

OP
Angelica

Angelica

Nov 29, 2023
Before my baby budgie Rocky hatched last year I wasn't sure the egg was alive until Rocky started chirping inside the egg. She hatched later that same day. I had been candling the egg every few days and all I saw was a black mass filling almost the entire shell. I thought maybe the contents of the egg were rotten and almost gave up hope. I was thrilled when Rocky chirped from inside the egg. I had the egg in an incubator since it was laid. The Mama budgie couldn't care for her eggs so I had to take them away from her and incubate them myself. When a Rocky hatched I had to hand feed her. She's one year old now.
That's also very heart warming I'm just filled with many, many questions but many have been answered there's still alot I don't know yet though I've owned birds for only 3 or 2 years, they've never laid eggs before so it's my first encounter with such things šŸ˜…

OP
Angelica

Angelica

Nov 29, 2023
When the baby is about to hatch he will puncture the air sac at the end and start peeping inside the egg. My budgie Rocky started peeping inside the day she hatched. It was so exciting!
Here's both the eggs I can't get any better pictures of them the second one confuses me but the first is infertile

Attachments

• 20231130_115648.jpg
    20231130_115648.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 20231130_115820.jpg
    20231130_115820.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 13

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
I think the second egg is a ā€œ quitterā€ but like DonnaBudgie said, it wonā€™t hurt to leave it for a couple more days just to make sure!

OP
Angelica

Angelica

Nov 29, 2023
I think the second egg is a ā€œ quitterā€ but like DonnaBudgie said, it wonā€™t hurt to leave it for a couple more days just to make sure!
Thank you for the reply I was confused on what I was seeing

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Thank you for the reply I was confused on what I was seeing
The first was infertile. The second tried but probably died about half way there. Candle it again in two days. If no change it's dead. The good news is you have a BABY! It's such a thrilling feeling, isn't it? Make sure you start handling the baby in a couple weeks if your Mama bird allows. You don't need to hand feed it unless it's necessary but early handling makes them easier to tame.

OP
Angelica

Angelica

Nov 29, 2023
The first was infertile. The second tried but probably died about half way there. Candle it again in two days. If no change it's dead. The good news is you have a BABY! It's such a thrilling feeling, isn't it? Make sure you start handling the baby in a couple weeks if your Mama bird allows. You don't need to hand feed it unless it's necessary but early handling makes them easier to tame.
Thank you for your advice I was a bit caught up saying my last goodbyes to my 3 foster cats going to their forever homes ā™”

OP
Angelica

Angelica

Nov 29, 2023
Yeah, I just wanted to be sure. I want to make sure that lemon can have her babies and make sure that none of them really fail. For Her for being a first time. Mom, I'm really happy with how she's doing with the one baby she has currently. ā™”

TheofficialParakeet

Mar 22, 2022
Panama City, Florida
Parrots
Blue American Budgie - Female (Bluberry)
Blue Australian Budgie - Male (Mr. Squiggles)
Blue English Budgie - Male (Hendrix)
HOW AMAZING ABOUT YOUR FOSTER KITTIES!!!! I just adopted out my bunny and am working on two IRNs!

anyways, how is the baby doing?

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Yes sadly mama accidently squished the poor thing I've been crying ever since šŸ˜¢
Oh, Iā€™m so sorry šŸ˜¢! Sadly, this can happen especially with an inexperienced mama bird. It wasnā€™t any oneā€™s fault. My condolences for the loss of your little baby šŸ’”ā¤ļø

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
What is candling?
Candling is using a bright light to see through the shell and into a developing egg. It doesnā€™t give a perfect view, of course, but allows the person looking to see things like developing blood vessels which tells them if an egg has a chick or if itā€™s empty and infertile with no chick. Itā€™s called candling because back in old times farmers would use candles to check chicken eggs. Nowadays, a high powered flashlight works much better!

OP
Angelica

Angelica

Nov 29, 2023
Oh, Iā€™m so sorry šŸ˜¢! Sadly, this can happen especially with an inexperienced mama bird. It wasnā€™t any oneā€™s fault. My condolences for the loss of your little baby šŸ’”ā¤ļø
Thank you šŸ˜­

Most Reactions

Latest posts