Budgie issues

Average*Hero

Sep 13, 2009
i'm not sure if something is wrong with my budgie but i just want to make sure. 1. He is missing half of his middle toe on his left foot. I know this is not good but will he still be able to survive without it.

2. I was watching him, and I noticed that he only blinked one eye at a time.

3. he has green poop hanging out of his rear.

4. He never chirps( but we only got him yesterday)

5. I know that as soon as you buy a bird from a pet store he'll proboably be very skittish, but he isn't going away from my hand at all.

Can someone please tell me if i should do something about these?

I'm really worried:02:

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
I think all five are important things to note, but I would not be at all concerned. It is a very good idea to get a new bird checked out by a vet shortly after bringing them home - your vet would give him good check up and be sure there is nothing to worry about. But to briefly address each point:

1) It is fairly common for them to be born missing a toe, or to loose one when very young. It will have no effect on his life, well being, or happiness in any way. The only potential exception is if he JUST broke it and there is an open wound that could get infected.

2) Good attentiveness but this is nothing to be worried about.

3) The color may mean something - but most likely it means he ate something green - or something that turns green when digested. Keep an eye on this, if it is consistently green for several days then it might be a concern, but the occasional one is fine. As far as it hanging... well, not all together pleasant, but he just may be a dirty bird. This is perhaps the most important point to talk to your vet about, but here also I suspect there will not be any concern at all.

4) You got him yesterday.... give him time.

5) Congrats, you got a loving bird.

All in all I'd recommend to see a vet as soon as practical, but not because any of these points seem worrisome, it is just a good idea in general with a new bird. Your vet can then address these and any other concerns in detail.

OP
Average*Hero

Average*Hero

Sep 13, 2009
There still is one problem. My Dad says that hes not going to take a 20 dollar bird to the vet!:( I tried to tell him otherwise, but he still said no"IF THE BIRD DIES, IT DIES!" i'm onlly 13 years old so i don't have much money so I can't take him.

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
It's unfortunate that your dad feels that way - but it is also quite understandable.

Pets are very expensive - even budgies - the purchase price usually turns out to be a small fraction of their overall care. I suspect that in getting your budgie you agreed to be responsible for caring for him.

I highly doubt that there is anything wrong with your new bird - what's his name by the way?

It is true that it'd be cheaper to get a new budgie than to pay vet bills for the one you have if anything ever did go wrong - but by then he'll be part of your family... he'll be part of YOUR family, but not necessarily your parents family. If you are up to it I suspect your dad would be quite open to the idea of you taking on some extra chores in exchange for setting aside some money each week for an 'emergency pet account' in case your bird ever does get really sick. If he can see that you are willing to do your part to take care of the bird he may be willing to pitch in more if its ever needed.

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
Great IDEA AD!

I was initially so put off by Hero's dad's response that I couldn't even reply to the thread ...(that's just me acting on emotions and not thinking about it for a minute)

I would suggest, Hero, that you do exactly what AD has persxribed - establish and "emergency fund" for your pet, just in case - it is such a great idea, not for just Hero here, but for all of us who are living on tight budgets right now ...

OP
Average*Hero

Average*Hero

Sep 13, 2009
okay i'll make sure to talk to him about that. His name is Peter:) Thanks!

Most Reactions

Latest posts