Budgie tame

laopi

Aug 6, 2015
Mississauga,Canada
Parrots
one Pineapple, nine budgies
Hi,

I had a budgie pair with three babies about two weeks, I heard if you take out the baby 20 minutes every day, the baby will tame naturally, I'd like to give it a try, however, my concern is if I keep doing that, will the mom abandon her baby?

Thanks.

peter

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I don't breed, and I don't pretend to know anything about it, but I know baby budgies are super tiny and fragile, and must be so delicate at two weeks old, so I'd just wait before you start handling them. You don't want any accidents to happen.

There's plenty of time for taming a little later. Also, Budgies that get very tame and bonded to a human are usually ones who aren't bonded to another bird.

Last edited:

DannyA93

Jan 22, 2012
Las Cruces, NM
Parrots
Pineapple Turquoise Greencheek Conure-Ivy❤️, Male Cockatiel-Lusa (aka Bub =D)
the mother will not abandon the babies. just wait till they come out to fly around in the morning or whatever time they happen to come out and feel free to handle them. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE wash your hands and completely dry them before handling them. that is what co-parenting is. just wait till they are mostly covered i pin feathers . you don't want to handle them while they are still "naked" but i'd recommend at least half and hour to an hour the older they get, the more time you spend with them:)

Most Reactions