building play stands for sale

skycon

Apr 8, 2011
Media
Albums
Patrick AFB, Florida
Parrots
Savannah, 4 year old Hahns Macaw
My parents bought seven and a half of mostly forested acres a few years ago and are slowly clearing it out to make better horse pasture. Lucky me thought I could use the extra wood to make perches and a stand for Savannah, which I did and she loves. My husband realized a few days ago that he enjoyed making it and said it would be a good hobby for us to make these stands for the public. I am looking for opinions on this matter.

Yesterday, we cut down a maple tree and divided it up into bases and perches. After we peeled the bark off, the wood looks beautiful! I already know by the steps we plan to take and the extra luxuries that we are going to add that this stand is going to be a lot better than mine. Here is the wood we are using, it is drying out in the sun at the moment.

wood.jpg

The base of the stand is going to be heavy duty with an easy cleanable surface, decorative siding, wheels, and the wood will be removable for easy cleaning and transport. I already did this with my stand by having the trunk of the wood sit down into the base.

It will also have eye-hooks for hanging toys and the perches will be screwed in and the joints will be covered with sisal rope for visual appeal. I was even thinking that we could make a wood ladder with all the small pieces we have.

Anyway, sorry this is so long. My question is, would you buy something like this from an individual? If so, how much would you pay for it? (this stand will be large, about as tall as me, and for medium sized birds) Also, do you have any suggestions?

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Yes I would purchase one of them. Looks wonderful!! I have a small one already that I got on line. Rosie has never gotten the consept of climing on the different levels of perches. Perhaps the addition of a ladder would be helpful. Should not be too heavy as I often carry it from room to room. I paid $150.

OP
skycon

skycon

Apr 8, 2011
Media
Albums
Patrick AFB, Florida
Parrots
This one will be heavy as it is going to be the size of an average human. lol. But I already have one even taller than I am but it is easy to move around because of the wheels. I even take it outside sometimes. However, I usually just leave it next to her cage and let her climb back and forth.

The base is going to be the branch in the center of the picture so you can kind of get an idea about the height. It'll be lighter once the wood completely dries out though. And the base will be detachable for easier cleaning and transportation.

Anyway, the ones on ebay that resemble what we are planning on building go for about $200+ but my husband plans on selling it for about $120. I thought that was a little cheap but then again he wants to sell it on craigslist.

triordan

Sep 1, 2010
Maryland
Parrots
Remington~ GW Macaw
Ollie/Olivia~ CAG
would it be large enough for a macaw? i think it would become a chew toy for Remington!

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
I would look at the shipping cost also. I do quite a bit of shipping and the rates have jumped quite a bit. I would think it would cost $50.00 or better just to ship something that big.

Where are you located in Florida, I might be interested in one.

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Bean the Blue Front Amazon, Chico the Ringneck, and Ida the African grey
What a great way to use what is in your own backyard! I would love one, but I am sure it would cost an arm and a leg to have one shipped to me.

OP
skycon

skycon

Apr 8, 2011
Media
Albums
Patrick AFB, Florida
Parrots
I tend to think this particular wood is softer for what would be needed for macaws. Though I do see maple perches for sale for larger birds, so maybe it isn't as easy for them to chew as I thought.

I also have some magnolia perches which is considered to be a hardwood. They would be better for larger sized parrots. Next time I am up to my parents I will have to get some more so I can make stands suited for the large birds.

OP
skycon

skycon

Apr 8, 2011
Media
Albums
Patrick AFB, Florida
Parrots
Mtdoramike, I really haven't looked into shipping at all. Seems like something like this would be a nightmare to ship. We are planning on selling it through craigslist or some other local site. If we really get into building these though I will probably look into it more. We were even thinking about going to our local small pet stores to see if they would be interested in carrying them.

If you are interested in having us make you one though, I would be willing to look into it. We live near Cocoa Beach. I think it would be cool to make a custom play stand for a specific bird!

Abzeez, that is exactly why we are building them for local right now. I have no idea how to even ship something so big! lol

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
I think you would have to also build a box to put it in, and then ship it! Tree shaped box? Could work. LOL!

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
I would love one, keep us posted w/pictures. My husband is very handy & I'm thinking he might enjoy making one for Merlin. I would like one for my kitchen/dining area so I wouldn't have to move his cage back & forth. I think you could sell locally w/o worrying about shipping. Florida probably has alot of parrot owners, you could set up @ a flea market. Good luck

OP
skycon

skycon

Apr 8, 2011
Media
Albums
Patrick AFB, Florida
Parrots
Good idea! I didn't even think about the flea market. We already have one "bird store" in our flea market that is dirty and overpriced and is still always packed with people. They had this tiny "play stand" which was basically a twig/branch screwed to a board and it was $28! Poorly made too and covered in dirt.

Anyway, enough ranting. I just finished sanding the edges of the base stand and it looks awesome! I am so excited. Thanks for your impute everyone!

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Well now you can put your "awesome parrot store" right next to them, and then people can compare prices and quality. Wonder who will sell more product? ;)

OP
skycon

skycon

Apr 8, 2011
Media
Albums
Patrick AFB, Florida
Parrots
Update for how the stand is coming! Being the first thing my husband and I have ever built by ourselves, it is pretty darn good. I am surprised we pulled off the angled corners. lol. It is looking amazing so far. The bottom is very heavy duty and we attached a bottom panel so you can't see all the non-beautiful structurness.

Anyway, we still have a lot to do, but we already worked two evenings on it. Next time it will be a lot quicker since we know what we are doing. We still need to add the molding around the base to give it a more finished look, add a molding border around the base of the stand, add wheels, wrap sisal over the perches, and add eye hooks for toy hanging.

Here are some pictures with Savannah so you can picture the size. Sorry the images are not the best... it was nighttime, obviously. I will get better pics when it is all finished.
2.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

Last edited:

Cecilia

Banned
Banned
Jul 28, 2010
Media
Melbourne, FL
Parrots
Violet - Black Masked Lovebird hatch date 2-26-11

Jessie - B&G Macaw hatch date 4-3-11
Wow! Beautiful! I live in Rockledge FL aka Viera! Your down the street from me!!!!! OMG I feel so LUCKY!!!! LOL I would need one for a Macaw... you think you have wood hard enough at your mothers house?

OP
skycon

skycon

Apr 8, 2011
Media
Albums
Patrick AFB, Florida
Parrots
Thanks guys! I just finished putting in the eye hooks, and it looks awesome with toys.

Oh, wow. You are close! I am going to have to identify some more trees and figure out what is a good hardwood and then I will get back to you. I am sure I will be able to find something! Considering I am going to be staying with my parents all next week, I have plenty of time to get some good wood.

I heard magnolia is hardwood, and I have some, so once it dries out I will test it.

Cecilia

Banned
Banned
Jul 28, 2010
Media
Melbourne, FL
Parrots

if your talking about the Melbourne Flea Market... OMG Don't buy from them! None of the birds are tame and they way they grab them out the cage and omg the guy stuck his fingers up the birds you know and said that how he sexes them... WTF! Poor birds! It does not look healthy in there at all!

Cecilia

Banned
Banned
Jul 28, 2010
Media
Melbourne, FL
Parrots

Thanks! I was planning on buying one on June 5th at the orlando bird fair.. they have HUGE one's for macaws for cheap if i dont find one there then i'll be searching! Maybe you can make me a nice lovebird table top play stand! That would be wonderful!

OP
skycon

skycon

Apr 8, 2011
Media
Albums
Patrick AFB, Florida
Parrots
That is horrible! I remember walking into that one and wasn't impressed at all. I was actually talking about the Daytona flea market since I am always up that way, I go quite often. Flea market animals make me so sad, especially the puppies.

I just found out the type of maple I used IS hardwood. Yay! lol. That got me really excited for some reason.

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
That is awesome! Those things are so spendy!

Most Reactions