skycon

skycon

Apr 8, 2011
Media
Albums
Patrick AFB, Florida
Parrots
Savannah, 4 year old Hahns Macaw
I am incredibly jealous of this play stand, actually. lol. Mine doesn't even compare. My husband and I came in from working on it last night and sat down on the couch. After a moment of silence Garreth says, "Our stand sucks." I just nodded.

I would be tempted to keep it for ourselves but Savannah's is attached to her cage and she loves it. She is always on it, I swear.

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
Can't you use 2 stands? I know in my house Merlin hangs out in several rooms, I know I could use a couple.

OP
skycon

skycon

Apr 8, 2011
Media
Albums
Patrick AFB, Florida
Parrots
Our downstairs is pretty much all conected. She can see me in the kitchen, on the computer, dining room, and in the living room. The only places I go where she cannot see me is in the bathroom, laundry room, and bedroom. And I am okay with that! lol

I can easily disconnect her stand and roll her around with me anyway. I do that sometimes.

Mondos Parents

Jan 21, 2011
Media
Louisville, KY
Parrots
YC x YN Amazon "Mondo" ,Green Wing Macaw "Bob" & Catablue Macaw "Jake"
Maple is a very hard wood. Red Maple is supposed to be bad for birds, yours looks like white, should be OK.

Cecilia

Banned
Banned
Jul 28, 2010
Media
Melbourne, FL
Parrots
Violet - Black Masked Lovebird hatch date 2-26-11

Jessie - B&G Macaw hatch date 4-3-11
oh oh okay so if i draw a style out do you think you can build it? Or can i buy the wood from you and build it myself.. OR can I help you build it.. sounds fun! Anything to save money to be honest LMAO I am poor after buying a scale and the B&G baby.... w/ formula and etc... LOL

OP
skycon

skycon

Apr 8, 2011
Media
Albums
Patrick AFB, Florida
Parrots
It is very hard come to find out. I Savannah tested it and she bit down on a piece several times, very hard, and didn't even make a dent! lol

Red maple is fine as long as you debark it. Even the bark on red maple is fine, it is the fungus that can grow on it that is toxic to birds.

"I've included "maple" in the safe list now, but with this condition: remove the bark. It may not be absolutely neccessary, but its the only way that I'll suggest most of that tree genus. From what I've read, the bark of many maple trees, like vine maple or Japanese maple, etc., is fine. Meaning, the bark in itself is not deemed a problem. But red maple (Acer rubrum) can harbor a fungus. Inhalation of exuded residue may be harmful."
Bird; Birds: Safe, Toxic Trees, Woods. Safe Tree Wood. Parrots. Parrot cages.

Cecilia, we sure can. We live on Patrick AFB so it may be kind of hard for you to come and help out unless we can get a pass written for you. Never tried it with non family members, but possible.

Cecilia

Banned
Banned
Jul 28, 2010
Media
Melbourne, FL
Parrots

my husband is always on Patrick AFB.. But its bc he works for bright house.... that would be cool! We should try to get a pass for me so I could help. My husband will ask his dad how to get one his dad has one bc he was in the military.... and then maybe he can get one for my husband and my husband can get one for me.. LMAO we can figure something out.

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
How nice it would be to have some bird friends. I don't know anyone who has parrots, its not a popular pet here. My friends don't get the parrot thing. There are no parrot rescues locally. I wish... it would be great to volunteer @ a rescue. I could interact w/alot of different birds.

OP
skycon

skycon

Apr 8, 2011
Media
Albums
Patrick AFB, Florida
Parrots
They give passes by the day. All you need is your driver's ID, proof of insurance, and your registration. They give you a slip and you just show it to them when you are coming in. They ask you where you are going though so I am not sure if you would get in trouble if you wonder off. lol. We could probably finish it within a few days so it would really be all we need. We have done it before with our parents so it isn't a problem.

If you didn't want to do a pass, we could also bring you in if you park beachside. I talked to my husband about it and he said that we can do whatever you want. We even have a huge plastic base that is 4ftx4ft that would make a massive play stand for a big bird. It would be very heavy, but a little mobile if it had wheels. I am not sure if I could imagine having one in my house though. We could also make a more... reasonable sized one. lol And even a table top stand for your lovebird!

I know how it feels merlinsmom13, it is hard to have a hobby and no one around to share it with. Do any bird fairs come close to you? That might be a good way to meet people. I will be moving in less than a year so I will probably be in your shoes soon enough!

Cecilia

Banned
Banned
Jul 28, 2010
Media
Melbourne, FL
Parrots

Oh make it easy.. LOL I live in Cypress Cove Condos... LOL Nice size porch... You can come to my place!

Cecilia

Banned
Banned
Jul 28, 2010
Media
Melbourne, FL
Parrots

haha so true but if my husband is home then we should have most of what we will or would need

OP
skycon

skycon

Apr 8, 2011
Media
Albums
Patrick AFB, Florida
Parrots
We are almost done! A clear coat on the bottom to make it easier to clean and it is all finished. So I have a question, how much would you all buy something like this for? We are going back and forth on pricing. I will take even better pictures when it is all finished.
(toys won't be included)
3-1.jpg

2-2.jpg

1-2.jpg

Cecilia, we could always get you the stand wood and you could build it yourself? We are trying to build them right now so we can put together a portfolio and make custom stands.

OP
skycon

skycon

Apr 8, 2011
Media
Albums
Patrick AFB, Florida
Parrots
Thanks! We are pretty proud of it since it is the first thing we have ever built on our own. lol. The next one will be even better from the things we learned!

What do you think it should be priced at?

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
That looks awesome! From comparing prices online, I'd say a good competitive price would be $125-$150 for something that size, although you could probably get more if you weren't in a huge hurry to sell them. The one thing you want to keep in mind with selling to pet stores is that they will usually only pay about half of what they can sell it for, so if they can sell them for $200 you will probably only get about $100 for it which kind of sucks. I used to work for a small pet shop and we would buy cat trees from a local guy that made them and I'm sure he would of gotten a lot more for them if he just sold them himself. Also, the flea market could be a good way to go, just keep in mind that, atleast around here, everyone at the markets wants everything for less so you may want to price them higher than what you actually want for them because everyone is going to try and haggle you down. I used to help my brother sell stuff at the flea market and he would have things priced for less than a quarter of what they normally cost and people still acted like he was charging to much! It was really quite frustrating. You're selling something, brand new, for $20 that would normally cost $100 and they still want to try and offer you $10! Cheap people....

Clarissa

Jul 13, 2011
Waynesboro, PA
Parrots
/ Valentine - African Fischers Lovebird (Hybrid) /
Sounds like a great idea, I think the wood looks beautiful! I've been thinking of building a small play stand for Valentine. Any tips you could lend? :D

brianlinkles

Aug 17, 2011
Oakwood, Ohio
Parrots
i am the mom of three parrots:
Dorothy- African grey (cag)
Bowie- blue and gold macaw
Nellie- hyacinth macaw
Reggie- hyacinth macaw
Marnie- white bellied caique
Wow! That looks so great! I am looking for a playstand for Kiwi, I want one that is pretty to look at, I am an interior designer and it is so hard to find pretty and functional items for our birds! I wish I wasn't in Ohio, I would definatley want one! Good luck selling them they are beautiful, how about adding some little cups for some food!

Most Reactions