Bump near Kiwi's eye

The_Conuror

Jul 14, 2017
New Mexico
Parrots
Kiwi the Sun Conure
Bump near birds eye

This morning I got my Sun Conure out of his cage and noticed a small bump next to his left eye. It was very small and looked like it could be a small bug bite. He isn't acting any differently and seems fine, but I'm still worried. Any ideas on what it could be?

OP
The_Conuror

The_Conuror

Jul 14, 2017
New Mexico
Parrots
Kiwi the Sun Conure
This morning I got my Sun Conure out of his cage and noticed a small bump next to his left eye. It was very small and looked like it could be a small bug bite. He isn't acting any differently and seems fine, but I'm still worried. Any ideas on what it could be?

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
picture? what color is the bump? could be anything from allergy to a poke on something sharp to insect bite to.... I'd monitor and if it's the same or worse tomorrow schedule an avian vet appt. A place near me does walk ins too, 60 dollar base charge. Call around.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon

It could be any number of things. The closer to the eye, the greater the concern. Watch for any change-over night, if it becomes larger or is joined by another, its off to the Avian Vet Clinic ASAP. There is a bunch of important 'stuff' just below the surface in this area and any change should warrant close observation.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
Re: Bump near birds eye

when in doubt, off to the vet. It could be a bite, a bump, or it could be something serious.

Not to worry but for peace of mind it's best to check. they won't show illness until it's almost too late

OP
The_Conuror

The_Conuror

Jul 14, 2017
New Mexico
Parrots
Kiwi the Sun Conure
Thanks guys, I think I'll take him to the vet and see what's up with him.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
please remember an avian vet

an ordinary dog and cat vet has the same amount of knowledge or even less than we do when it comes to birds

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

Any change this morning? Can you upload a picture?

OP
The_Conuror

The_Conuror

Jul 14, 2017
New Mexico
Parrots
Kiwi the Sun Conure
Thanks, and I'll try to upload a picture next. It looks the same as yesterday, and it's alarmingly close to the eye, so we got an appointment with an avian vet tomorrow.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
good call The_conure

OP
The_Conuror

The_Conuror

Jul 14, 2017
New Mexico
Parrots
Kiwi the Sun Conure
So, we just got back from the avian vet and he seems fine. The little bump is a pustule and isn't of much concern, but she still prescribed antibiotics. She also pulled some dried food out of his feathers, but I question her professionalism with this, because he started bleeding and then she indirectly said it was our fault, or the breeder's. He seems fine for now, and thanks to everyone who replied!

Last edited:

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure

The bump was likely ingrown feathers. If the vet pulled out feathers from stuck food, I'd have to ask if there are adequate opportunities for bathing in you cage or environment setups?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
how did they start bleeding? Did the vet pull out a feather or something?

If they have dried food stuck to them then you aren't bathing them enough. Just let them have more chances to have a bath, find what they like be it a shallow dish to splash in, running under a tap, a spray bottle sprayed above them or even hopping in the shower with you! You'd be amazed how crazy they go when you find their preferred bathing method

Most Reactions

Latest posts