In desperate need of advice from some one with experience

tMillz

Jul 20, 2017
Parrots
Cockatiel
I live in North Carolina near the intercoastal waterway, so unfortunately I get stuck dealing with giant waterbugs. To make a long story short, I was walking out of my room after putting my bird to bed when I noticed a giant waterbug in the doorway. He started running (conveniently in the direction of my room), so I had no time to react and I had no shoe near me. Acting stupid, selfish and impulsively I grabbed raid and sprayed the bug from the doorway to the center of the room where he finally died. So in total, about a 5.5 foot spray length. After disposing of the bug I realised how awful of a decision it was that I made and moved my bird to the living room immediately. I then took the cockatiel mister and sprayed it in the areas that I used the raid and scrubbed with dawn dish soap. Afterwards I used babypowder on top to hopefully kill the smell and for the baking soda to hopefully eat away at what was left of the raid. My bird is currently in another room and will remain there until I can be certain that it is safe to bring him back in. My questions are: Did I use the wrong method to try and get rid of the raid in my carpet? If so, how do I 100% remove it from my carpet and prevent it from soaking into the padding? How long should I keep my cockatiel out of this room? Is it even possible to get it out of my carpet? Should he be permanently relocated? I'm absolutely terrified at the thought of my terrible decisions harming my bird and would never be able to live with myself if something happened to him. ANY advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you again.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
not sure how to get raid out but it should leave quickly, especially with the vinegar and what-not. Almost every house has had bug spray used at some point and birds live so I wouldn't worry about it being in the underlay. Just to be safe I'd keep your tiel away from it for a couple weeks and open the window nearest where you spread the spray just to help air it out. If it was sprayed in your room beyond the door I'd close the door so your bird can come out with the window in your bedroom open so he can still fly around and the raid can get out quicker.

Lastly, throw that spray in the trash!

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
I did a little research - short answer is I don't think you need to panic. RAID is mostly pyrethrine derivatives which work by disrupting neurological pathways. These are quite effective on insects because insects have a different neurobiology than humans. The compunds can affect humans, though - they are "cholenestrase inhibitors" - and can affect birds also. As far as I can tell, exposure can cause short term changes in behavior that reverse within hours. From what you describe, there was probably minimal exposure.

I didn't find any data saying insecticide is SAFE for birds...just that some are not acutely toxic - so I wouldn't spray anywhere near a bird. But you don't need to panic, either.

Here are some geeky links you might find helpful:

A website where you can look up all sorts of information about pesticides

PAN Pesticide Database

Example scientific report showing how little we know:
Relationships between behavior and the inhibition of acetylcholinesterase in birds exposed to organophosphorus pesticides - Hart - 1993 - Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry - Wiley Online Library

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
wait... RAID is not actively toxic!?

Oh boy there's some bugs at my place that are gonna get it tonight!

Most Reactions