cage frustrations

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
I have decided I do not like the cages Apollo and Aster are in. I've been looking for new ones but either nothing is fitting what I want or the ones that do cost like 200$ which isnt the worst but the cages I have for them now were like 100$ and they technically have more space. I'm just looking for a new cage that doesnt have so might height since the birds dont use the like bottom half of their cages it feels wasted. So I want a cage that's on a stand but still just as wide as their current cages. I also want them on a stand so Lincoln cant climb on them and I can get rid of the "fence" that's blocking the little bird cages from Lincoln because it's such a pain to work with.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Agree, tractor supply is a reputable company, I would feel comfortable ordering from them! I used to get all my poultry supplies there back in the day.

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
okay... now to convince myself spending nearly 400$ on new cages will be worth it xD

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
I am right there with you. Kirby’s cage he came with is old and I think the coating is wearing off because it is a dust magnet and a pain to clean, unlike Sammy’s brand new cage. But Sammy’s cage cost a cool $600. 💀

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
I am right there with you. Kirby’s cage he came with is old and I think the coating is wearing off because it is a dust magnet and a pain to clean, unlike Sammy’s brand new cage. But Sammy’s cage cost a cool $600. 💀
oof yeah, I'm glad I'm not buying for a big bird then I would need to get those extra expensive cages with thicker bars and what not.... lincoln cage was like 650$ when I got it. I think it's like 700$ now??? I'm not in love with Lincolns cage either because I cant fit it out the door without disassembling it but... it's so expensive I'm willing to tolerate it xD

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
just out of curiosity I looked up Lincolns cage to verify what it's going at now...

YIKES

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
Holy heck in a handbasket. We got the A&E dome top Sammy has from a local parrot store for $600-650, I don’t remember exactly, but they drove it to my house which was amazing. It’s a bit smaller than yours, and I remember that it was about a hundred bucks cheaper online after shipping, but I wanted to support the local store.

I uh, gotta be honest, if I replace Kirby’s I don’t think I can afford to spend the extra to support the store! I’ll support them by finally getting Sammy the Pak O Bird I’ve been wanting to get her from them or something, haha.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
Oh hey, Petco is having a sale on bird cages, like, 30% off some of them. I just found the A&E cage we got Sam in green for under $300. Maybe check them out?

Edited to ad - haha, I ended up grabbing a new cage for Kirby. 😅 can’t beat that discount.

Last edited:
OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Cages came in today. I have mixed feelings. Overall they were easy to set up with minimal issues. However one of them had a bit of paint chipped off in areas... they are in areas I dont see being chewed so I am just gonna tolerate it for now I think. It's not a major issue. I ran out of daylight so I will be moving perches and what not into them tomorrow before work hopefully.
20230215_165659.jpg

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
Ah, you’ve hit upon the other reason I was willing to get Sammy’s cage from a physical store and pay more $$ - when the cages get damaged in shipping, dealing with it is a HASSLE. At the time, it wouldn’t have fit in my car to bring to a UPS store or whatever to return (I have a larger vehicle now).

They look great though!

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Yeah, unfortunately there's not much opportunity to see bird cages in person where I live :(

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Welp. Lincoln can climb the new cages. UGH. Oh well... I do like the new cages other than that.
20230216_094825.jpg
20230216_102216.jpg
20230216_102646.jpg

fl1ck

Jan 1, 2023
Parrots
African silver grey x2
I have decided I do not like the cages Apollo and Aster are in. I've been looking for new ones but either nothing is fitting what I want or the ones that do cost like 200$ which isnt the worst but the cages I have for them now were like 100$ and they technically have more space. I'm just looking for a new cage that doesnt have so might height since the birds dont use the like bottom half of their cages it feels wasted. So I want a cage that's on a stand but still just as wide as their current cages. I also want them on a stand so Lincoln cant climb on them and I can get rid of the "fence" that's blocking the little bird cages from Lincoln because it's such a pain to work with.
where cages are concerned you get out what you put in
lucky and George two male African silver grays go foraging in the bottom of the cage most evenings
so i leave little presents for them to find normally put a few monkey nuts in a toilet roll tube in each cage
this cage cost over £1200 and is 6ft tall x 3ft deep x 7ft wide so more of an Avery on wheels lol
it is actually two cages with a removable partition in the middle
ample room for two 20 year old male African silver grays
but they do use the entire cage
they sleep at the top in the corner
and in the day they come to the front or play with the toys in the cages
i keep the food in one place and the water in another
and individually i let them out in the evening while the wife watches her soaps
George can fly he is a import
lucky cannot fly and hand reared
they are both very verbal
but you certainly get out what you put in

Attachments

• 20221201_090303.jpg
    20221201_090303.jpg
    404 KB · Views: 50

Talaya

Apr 26, 2022
Media
Parrots
Han Solo - SI Male Eclectus
where cages are concerned you get out what you put in
lucky and George two male African silver grays go foraging in the bottom of the cage most evenings
so i leave little presents for them to find normally put a few monkey nuts in a toilet roll tube in each cage
this cage cost over £1200 and is 6ft tall x 3ft deep x 7ft wide so more of an Avery on wheels lol
it is actually two cages with a removable partition in the middle
ample room for two 20 year old male African silver grays
but they do use the entire cage
they sleep at the top in the corner
and in the day they come to the front or play with the toys in the cages
i keep the food in one place and the water in another
and individually i let them out in the evening while the wife watches her soaps
George can fly he is a import
lucky cannot fly and hand reared
they are both very verbal
but you certainly get out what you put in
Ooh i have the same cage as you Flick . I have just one spoilt Eclectus, ahem .. I meant loved..
I put foraging toys on the floor with a ladder and he is happy to go to the bottom to play. when it eventually needs replacing I might look at an aviary panel company instead. They could work out about the same size/cost. Maybe this is something you could do Owlet. In the UK there is a company called Weldmesh, they do different sized panels, maybe they have a USA outlet or sister company?

Last edited:

fl1ck

Jan 1, 2023
Parrots
African silver grey x2
Ooh i have the same cage as you Flick . I have just one spoilt Eclectus, ahem .. I meant loved..
I put foraging toys on the floor with a ladder and he is happy to go to the bottom to play. when it eventually needs replacing I might look at an aviary panel company instead. They could work out about the same size/cost. Maybe this is something you could do Owlet. In the UK there is a company called Weldmesh, they do different sized panels, maybe they have a USA outlet or sister company?
i put a ladder in when i first got the lucky and Georgie mmmm have you ever seen destroyed in seconds there is a partition in the cage i have looked all around the cage o i can pull it out so the boys can mingle and share everything in the cage also give them a lot more room as such but i cant find how to take the partition out

Talaya

Apr 26, 2022
Media
Parrots
Han Solo - SI Male Eclectus
i put a ladder in when i first got the lucky and Georgie mmmm have you ever seen destroyed in seconds there is a partition in the cage i have looked all around the cage o i can pull it out so the boys can mingle and share everything in the cage also give them a lot more room as such but i cant find how to take the partition out
On the front, right in the middle at the top is a flat bar a couple of inches long, on a swivel screw. It just lifts up and then you can pull the middle out.
id be very careful about letting them share in such an enclosed space and close proximity, I know Solo won’t share his toys with his girlfriend, shes a human, & he can’t leave her alone but he will growl, lunge & bite if she touches his things for too long. I’m about the only person who can get away with most things and even I can get told off.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I have a cage from tractor supply. They had a clearance sale on their stainless steel cages, and I couldn’t resist the 50% off. This was 2 years ago. The cage arrived exactly as described, and fast. I have no complaints.

I run into issues at local stores if I go shopping in person because the only cage’s available appear to be for a finch. The cages are so small in store.

The last issue I have with my bird cages are they are always tall. My birds don’t use 50% of their cage. I wished they’d make cages longer not taller. If I could flip my birds cages on their sides they’d be perfect!

I hope you like the new cages. Are they flight cages? Are they sturdy?

Most Reactions