Cage upgrade questions

Quincy69

May 7, 2018
So we are thinking our little feathered friend may need a larger cage. Currently his cage is 50"h x 20" x 20"...Its more important for him to have a good cage height then width? Correct?

I'm looking around on Amazon right now, not too sure what to get.

Here's is what he has now....he's outside getting some sun...lol.
92fababeba1b70767986cbf5de8753dd.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Thanks for reaching out. I recently updated my tiel's cage also. What I have found is, with his last cage, it was taller than wider but he did not really utilize the bottom area. So I bought him a cage that was wider instead of taller and he loves it -- plus, there's room underneath for storage of his food and treats.

yoQudpk.jpg

This one was $200 shipped on Amazon, it's made by Mcage. They also sell a single version for $114. Highly recommend at least the single flight cage for a conure. The measurements on the single flight cage not including the stand are: 30 5/16"L x 18 5/8"W x 36 5/8”H

71AJvmyEkFL._SL1500_.jpg

Also popular, I've seen conure owners love this one, $159 on amazon.

715oYMtc0%2BL._SL1000_.jpg

Last edited:

Caitnah

Mar 24, 2018
Upstate New York
Parrots
GCC Pineapple
The tall one above is the exact one I have. I really like it and so does my Conure. HOWEVER, he also does not utilize too much of the bottom. He has a boing that has a bell on the bottom and he likes to jump off the bottom to attack the bell.
Other than that not much too do on the bottom.

If you can find a cage with the same volume BUT wider than higher, I would suggest that.

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Agree with above - width has been more important for my conures, they never seem to use the bottom part of the cage. Mine have really enjoyed having their wider flight cage!

Aplanis

Jan 5, 2018
Hi.

This is the cage I have. You can configure to have the feed bowls at the bottom which is what I did.

My Sun does stay towards the top more but that's natural bird behavior. However she goes to the bottom too use the food and water dish. I also put some foraging toys towards the bottom as well which she also spends time with.

As my cage is located in the main living area I wanted a cage that was prettier as well visually.

Roux loves the cage though

Prevue Pet Products Pagoda Cockatiel Cage, Coco and Cream https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004482KH0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_uoHfBbBYCXMWZ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thesmallesttall

Jun 5, 2018
Hi to you all,

I have a green cheek conure and I am also thinking of upgrading the cage.
But I couldn't choose one.
I have three options.
Depending on your experiences, could you advice me which one to choose?

The first one is the tallest one with the highest volume and with a roof
The second one is widest one
The third one a little bit smaller than first one and without roof.

I am thinking of getting a mate for my parrot for possible breeding and setting a playground (whether inside or top of the cage, depending on the choice)
Is the one with roof good or bad for conure parrots?

Best wishes

Here are the links:

https://www.sahibinden.com/ilan/hay...s-savic-marka-2.el-kus-kafesi-562690504/detay

https://www.sahibinden.com/ilan/hay...-kus-dev-sifir-papagan-kafesi-575697832/detay

https://www.petimister.com/p102-e-ayakli-papagan-kafesi-pirinc-28957

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Hi to you all,

I have three options.

I am thinking of getting a mate for my parrot for possible breeding and setting a playground (whether inside or top of the cage, depending on the choice)

Best wishes

Here are the links:

https://www.sahibinden.com/ilan/hay...s-savic-marka-2.el-kus-kafesi-562690504/detay

https://www.sahibinden.com/ilan/hay...-kus-dev-sifir-papagan-kafesi-575697832/detay

https://www.petimister.com/p102-e-ayakli-papagan-kafesi-pirinc-28957

The first cage I didn't get to load. Both the second and third look OK to me, not the best cage I've seen. If you can, get a flight cage! Think HUGE!

Don't get your parrot a mate if you don't have a brooder, handfeeding formula or have experience hand feeding since a chick will likely end up needing your help surviving if the parents don't feed it or abandon it. That's also assuming your conures will be mature to breed, the male knows what he's doing and both know how to sit and incubate. A lot can go wrong!

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
Syd has had 3 cages in his short life. A cube - too small, a tall one - ok. A wider rather tall flight cage - he took one look at it and claimed it as soon as I put it together. No question on my part, wider is far superior to taller. He loves to rummage around on the storage shelf below too.

Caitnah

Mar 24, 2018
Upstate New York
Parrots
GCC Pineapple
Hi to you all,

I have three options.

My cage for my Conure is 24"x22"x52" (inside). After loading it up with toys, I still feel he is a little cramped. Get the largest you can.

OP
Quincy69

Quincy69

May 7, 2018
Hi to you all,

I have three options.

My cage for my Conure is 24"x22"x52" (inside). After loading it up with toys, I still feel he is a little cramped. Get the largest you can.
Thanks everyone for the input!

I'm looking at a 22x24x68 (including play area on top). It's about 4 inches wider, and 6 taller then what we have.
Quincy seems to be all over his cage right now. I think he would enjoy the play area on top.
And we would love the seed/food/mess catchers at the bottom.
40c36e74bba587623cb9635939bad2f0.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thesmallesttall

Jun 5, 2018
@itzjbean

Thank you for your advises. I have experience in handfeeding, I have already handfed my conure...My real aim is not to make them breed, but to find a companion/friend for my conure..

I think I would go for the second one..

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013

Most Reactions

Latest posts