I'm sorry to come with bad news

Staysee

Sep 13, 2017
UK
Parrots
Patagonian Conure
My beautiful Patagonian passed away this morning, heavy metal poisoning.

She was just over 9 months old.

My home is very quite now :(

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Oh my gosh, I am so sorry to hear of this. hugs and prayers to you, stay strong. I lost one of my cockatiels this year and I can relate to the pain. Please don't blame yourself.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Oh, Staysee... I treasured her, too. She was a wonderful, beautiful, precious little girl. I am so very, very sorry. She'll live on in my heart, and I'll see her in the Rb every day. Thank you for having shared her.

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
I’m so sorry to hear about your loss.

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
I'm so sorry for your loss. Rest in peace, little one.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
Still just thinking about little Syd. What a darling, lost too, too soon.

OP
Staysee

Staysee

Sep 13, 2017
UK
Parrots
Patagonian Conure
Sorry to say, but she cheated on RB with my other halfs best friend....She wasn't sure of him at first, but soon she got used to him and wanted to give him kisses all the time.

Considering she only spent time with me and my other half, she was quite good with new people and especially our niece and her boyfriend....they are only 18 and yet when they came over she would want to be with them all the time instead of me, so I loved them visiting, gave me a break haha

Aratingettar

May 29, 2018
Poland
Parrots
Sun t̶e̶r̶r̶o̶r̶i̶s̶t̶ C̶o̶n̶u̶r̶e̶ terrorist Cytrynka (F),
Peach faced lovebird Fiona (F),
Peach faced lovebird Fionek (M)
Sorry for your loss... I certainly wouldn't like to be in your situation... it's never a good time to lose a friend. If one's young, you're asking yourself why so young.. if one's older, you'll ask yourself why after so many years together.
One wise note was, it's not important how long you've been together, but if it was a quality time. And I hope it was.
On the other hand, what exactly happened? What can we do more to avoid this accident to our feathered friends?

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Oh no, I am so sorry for your loss:(

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry. What a horribly tragic thing to have happen.

If I can ask, was this from his cage? I don't mean to upset you, just wondering if this was due to a parrot-made product, as this does often happen from birds chewing the coating off of their cage bars.

OP
Staysee

Staysee

Sep 13, 2017
UK
Parrots
Patagonian Conure
Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry. What a horribly tragic thing to have happen.

If I can ask, was this from his cage? I don't mean to upset you, just wondering if this was due to a parrot-made product, as this does often happen from birds chewing the coating off of their cage bars.

We don't know, the insurance company want an autopsy so she was sent off today.

My fear is that it'll show paint flecks and then I'll be blaming myself for not watching properly

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Parrots can (and will) get into so many things you can drive yourselfer neurotic trying to watch and control everything.

You can only do your best.

best wishes so sorry for your loss, I know how it feels.

texsize

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
Thank you for hanging around and letting us follow up. It's very brave of you, and means a lot to me, personally.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
I am so very sorry for your loss. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

bingbing

May 12, 2018
Daytona Beach
Parrots
Green Cheek conure Bing Bing is his name.
I am sorry for your loss, very much understand the pain of loosing a friend. It is true all we can do is our best. I am sure you did that or you would not be here sharing with us.
I hope you have resolve soon with this.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Please don't blame yourself, no matter what the results of the necropsy are. There is no way that the most experienced parrot owner can watch what their bird does 24/7, and it only takes one paint fleck to be toxic to a little Conure, especially if it's lead paint.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they find a type of heavy-metal that is not consistent with paint but rather with the coating on his cage bars. And that's a shame, as it happens quite often and still companies aren't always careful about what they make their cages out of.

Either way, it's certainly not your fault, not anyone's fault (unless it's comes back as being consistent with his cage material, then I'd be contacting the manufacturer immediately, as it's just unforgivable)...

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I hope you feel better soon, I've lost pets before and there is little worse.

Rival_of_the_Rickeybird

2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 31, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
None. My wife has one too many. Kidding!
I'm so sorry. Syd was a big favorite around here. My wife never saw a Patagonian she didn't fall in love with immediately. I sincerely wish you peace.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
I'm so sorry. Heavy metals are in so many things .. many birds have pulled the clappers out of their bells and swallowed them or chewed on them, and if they aren't stainless steel they can poison the bird. It's more common that you would think - these bells and cheap metal toys shouldn't be sold to parronts, especially with no warnings. Especially when so many are made overseas with recycled metals. It's a very difficult thing to detect and to defend against. Whatever it turns out to be, please don't blame yourself.

Most Reactions

Latest posts