Cages for Amazons?

RitaS

May 27, 2013
Alabama
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon - Norman
I've been look for a new cage for Norman. I'm a bit overwhelmed. There are so many different kinds and prices seem to greatly vary. I've been reading reviews but that varies too. Can anyone make a suggestion of a good place to buy one and a good manufacturer? His cage now is about 2 feet X 3 feet and about 4 feet high. When I purchased it, I was told it's too big for an Amazon. I still don't agree and I don't want to go smaller. Can a cage be too big? Also any thoughts on playtops? He doesn't currently have one. I think I'd like to buy one with a playtop, are there types you would recommend, for durability & his enjoyment? Does colour of the cage make a difference? His is black now.
It's been a very long time since I got him a new cage and I would rather pay more & have it last.
Thank you!

Grinder

Jan 26, 2013
East Coast, U.S.
Parrots
Military Macaw - 'Lady",
GW Macaw - "Jazzy"
A cage can be too big for baby parrots, but for an adult Amazon, the bigger the better. They are so active and love to swing and hang upside down. I would choose a play top as long as your Amazon isn't currently trying to display any dominance over you.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I'd suggest King Cages. The size you have is fine. If the new one was the same color as the old one ,he might adjust quicker, but zons usually adjust very well. I swap my zons around to different cages every few months and no issues here.Play tops are good if you don't have a playstand or area, but it does seem to make the home cage dirty quicker (more cleaning). The playstand usually has it's own "catch Tray" and is easier to clean than the bars (top and side) of a cage that has a "play top".. IMO location is more important to the bird than the size of the cage. In other words, get the biggest cage that will fit in the best location.

Last edited:

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
I prefer using a playstand and am not fond of the play tops myself and this is just a personal preference. Also I stay away from open tops, my current cage has it but it is locked in the closed position for safety.

As far as size goes it really does depend on your zon, is he really playful? then the size you have or bigger. Bosley on the other hand is getting older and when he plays it's with me and usually just chills in his cage so huge isn't important to me.
Also I've been told that as they get older and special needs may arise that some people actually down size the cage.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
All my cages are dome tops as I find them to be roomier. I started out with a playtop cage for my Hunter. It was a CalCage, one piece of construction, 2' deep, 3' wide. She is now in a dometop, same dimensions. Sam, my DYH is in a dometop 40" wide, 30" deep and he utilizes each and every square inch of that cage.

3 of my cages are A&E cages, and 1 is a King's Cage. No complaints from me about either company. :)

OP
RitaS

RitaS

May 27, 2013
Alabama
Parrots
Great! Thanks Everyone!
Grinder:
Unfortunately Norman does display dominance over me, at times. We are working on that. I'm still probably going to get him the play top. I can't punish him for me not taking the time to train him properly when he was younger. Besides I'm 6 feet tall, I can't see any of these cages being much bigger than me:D
Henpecked:
Does the play tops with the catch tray block a lot of light from getting to the rest of the cage? Or do you just remove it when he's locked in the bottom portion? As far a mess is concerned...I never had a cage with guards (seed catcher) before, so I'm used to cleaning, a lot! Norman's cage location is always the priority, at least for the last 13 years. Everything else revolves around him. I can be at work long hours at times so I feel better getting him a large cage. He does play a lot but even when he's loose he prefers to sit on top of the cage, which is one of the reasons why I'm considering the play top. I think it might be more comfortable for him. Nothing too crazy just the simple one or two perch with metal ladders.

Sandy:
When did Bosley start showing his age? I guess Norman is getting up there too, but I can't really see a change in his behavior. Have you had to make many adjustments?

Wendy:
The dome tops look much more roomier and just prettier all around. That is what I will get if I decide not to get the play top.

Still working on the T-Stand. He's not much of a fan. He wants to be on me, the cage, or sometimes he just likes sitting on the arm of the sofa. Problem is (I think) it has always been just the two of us and my dog. I've let him do pretty much whatever he wants. I know...I created a lil monster:11:

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
I've only been Bosley's gaurdian since last year, we adopted him.
He plays a lot when out of his cage and with me, In his cage not so much. He will swing from the rooftop for a bit but he's pretty quiet. We just found out that he has the start of cataracts as well.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I know you directed the question about light and playtop to our Capt (henpecked), but I can tell you that in my experience it DID take away quite a bit of light unless you always remove the tray when your bird isn't on the playtop. :)

OP
RitaS

RitaS

May 27, 2013
Alabama
Parrots
Wendy,
The light is my main concern. I can see that being a problem if the tray isn't removed.
I don't have a issue removing it. I'm not an early riser, so Norman doesn't get as much early morning light, I would hate to reduce it anymore.
I wish you could buy interchangeable cage tops?

Sandy,
I guess I need to start paying closer attention to Norman's aging. Is there anything the vet can do for Bosley's cataracts? Do you give him any supplements?
When is an amazon considered senior?

I've noticed that Norman is very active in his cage when I'm not home. I'll peek through the window and watch him. Once I set up a video camera just to see what the pets were up to. I called the home phone and talked into the answering machine to see if they would react...busted my dog on the couch, actually very funny!

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
No supplements help cataracts apparently, they are thought to be hereditary.
Hopefully they are slow to develop and we can make decisions later down the road. Otherwise he is very healthy. Feed Norman healthy foods and get him lots of exercise. That and proper vet care goes a long way.

iSancho

Jul 3, 2013
I would choose a play top as long as your Amazon isn't currently trying to display any dominance over you.

How do you know it's showing dominance over you? Now that I read your post I kind of think mine is over me. I have a dome cage and he plays on top and doesn't like to leave. He loves being on the highest perch. He also won't let me hold & pet him unless I'm standing near his cage or on top of a stool next to his cage. Also, he always tries to climb my head if I have him on my arm. My world has revolved around him now. It's getting annoying. I would love to hold & pet him on my sofa which is in the same room but he won't allow it. I'm working on getting a play stand for him to be in my office away from his cage.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Sancho, I have a feeling that once you get your Amazon away from his cage, and into a different room, his attitude will change quickly. :) That is one reason many people suggest training parrots away from their cage and in a separate room, one they are not so familiar with.

They climb up high because they feel safer there. The higher they are, the more they can see their surroundings. And they are not fond of leaving that high place because they are leaving their comfort level. :)

Now cage aggression is an entirely different ball game.....:eek:

Most Reactions

Latest posts