Intro and question

autum_howard

Jun 25, 2013
Coldspring, TX
Parrots
Double Yellow Headed Amazon
Here are a few pictures of Sweet Pea :)
I was also wondering what it means when she slightly lifts her wings and quivers or shakes them while she's squatting?

Attachments

• 153.jpg
    153.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 99
  • 154.jpg
    154.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 99
  • 159.jpg
    159.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 102

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
It might mean she's a girl and wants some lovin. How old is sweet pea?

MissyMe83

Nov 29, 2011
Indiana
Parrots
Tate ~~
White Capped Pionus -
Violet ~~ Yellow Naped Amazon - Jupiter ~~ Baby B&G Macaw (coming soon)
She's very pretty! Not sure about the behavior though, so I'll let henpecked advise : )

OP
A

autum_howard

Jun 25, 2013
Coldspring, TX
Parrots
She was actually originally bought from the same place i got her from as a baby, so they hand raised her, so i believe the age, i'm not sure about the girl/boy part :)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Sweet Pea is GORGEOUS!!! :D

And yes, slightly lifting the wings and quivering could mean she's "in the mood". :54: When she does this with her wings, does she also crouch down a little and lifts her butt a bit? If so, then I'd say she's DEFINITELY in the mood. :eek:

OP
A

autum_howard

Jun 25, 2013
Coldspring, TX
Parrots
also yesterday i opened the door to her cage, i'm trying this you come to me approach, bc sometimes she willingly steps up for me, and others she runs to the back of her cage. anyways, a friend of mine wanted to see if she would go to him, i told him it was fine, but not to push her into it, and that his hand was entering the cage at his own risk lol, she stepped right up for him, but when he sat down she immediatly jumped off of him and ran across the floor to me, she even lifted her foot for me before i asked her to :) i put her on my desk in front of me and she turned her back to me and fanned her tail, i am not sure what that means either, some websites say she could be excited, others say its aggression....my head is spinning about the body language to say the least lol

OP
A

autum_howard

Jun 25, 2013
Coldspring, TX
Parrots
Sweet Pea is GORGEOUS!!! :D

And yes, slightly lifting the wings and quivering could mean she's "in the mood". :54: When she does this with her wings, does she also crouch down a little and lifts her butt a bit? If so, then I'd say she's DEFINITELY in the mood. :eek:

yes ma'am, she is crouching and lifting her hiney....what should i be prepared for behavior wise?:11:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
yes ma'am, she is crouching and lifting her hiney....what should i be prepared for behavior wise?:11:

Nothing to worry about. ;) My 14 year old Yellow Nape does this quite often, and I try and ignore her when she's doing it because otherwise she'll REALLY start getting into it. :54:

Avoid stroking Sweet Pea's back when she's like that. ;)

You can try and distract her by giving her a toy, or a little treat. I almost said "give her something to shred", but that may not be the best idea as it may stimulate her more to go into nesting mode. :11:

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
She's just acting like a teenage girl, LOL. There's no aggressive issues that you've described, sound excited IMO. Many New World parrots use sex as a bonding tool, similar to preening, It's hard to "break" them of this, just be careful not to encourage it by petting her back. You'll learn what turns her on. Most hens will go though spells where it's an every day occurrence for a month or two. My 43 yr hen is bad about this behavior when i've been gone for awhile (weeks/months) and return.

Last edited:

Wdlodge

May 13, 2013
Media
San Diego
Parrots
Kiwi -Pacific Parrotlet, Rio - Senegal. Both hatched 2/2013
Here are a few pictures of Sweet Pea :)
I was also wondering what it means when she slightly lifts her wings and quivers or shakes them while she's squatting?

It might mean that she is nervous, is she clipped?

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Normally nervous birds are very careful not to draw attention, this IMO doesn't fit that profile.

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
Sounds like an excited teenage girl to me too.
Flaring of the tail can be excitement and posturing. They do use it to communicate, everyday when I leave for work my amazon flares his tail and grunts to protest my leaving LOL.
She isn't sounding aggressive.

OP
A

autum_howard

Jun 25, 2013
Coldspring, TX
Parrots
Thanks for the advice, I will be sure not to pet her back, I'm just relieved it's not a sign of aggression :)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
She's just acting like a teenage girl, LOL. There's no aggressive issues that you've described, sound excited IMO. Many New World parrots use sex as a bonding tool, similar to preening, It's hard to "break" them of this, just be careful not to encourage it by petting her back. You'll learn what turns her on. Most hens will go though spells where it's an every day occurrence for a month or two. My 43 yr hen is bad about this behavior when i've been gone for awhile (weeks/months) and return.

Lola is using mating thing...lol....as a bonding tool.....We told her it's not gonna happen cause it doesn't work that way.... :eek:

Wdlodge

May 13, 2013
Media
San Diego
Parrots
Kiwi -Pacific Parrotlet, Rio - Senegal. Both hatched 2/2013
Normally nervous birds are very careful not to draw attention, this IMO doesn't fit that profile.

Hmmm... I could be wrong. I thought that when a bird lowers its body, lifts its wings I little, like in the front of its body, it was nervous, looking to flee. Rio does this when she is nervous and wants to go back to her cage. If her wings weren't clipped I believe she would just fly back to cage but since she is clipped, she can't she will lower her body, lift her wings and pace a little. I try and distract and wait for her to calm down a little otherwise when I get close enough to her cage she has jumped off me. A couple of times she has missed and landed hard (grrr. Wing clip)

Anyway, I could totally be wrong, I'm totally new and I believe my bird is younger then the one states in this thread.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.

Hmmm... I could be wrong. I thought that when a bird lowers its body, lifts its wings I little, like in the front of its body, it was nervous, looking to flee. Rio does this when she is nervous and wants to go back to her cage. If her wings weren't clipped I believe she would just fly back to cage but since she is clipped, she can't she will lower her body, lift her wings and pace a little. I try and distract and wait for her to calm down a little otherwise when I get close enough to her cage she has jumped off me. A couple of times she has missed and landed hard (grrr. Wing clip)

Anyway, I could totally be wrong, I'm totally new and I believe my bird is younger then the one states in this thread.

They do what you described when they're fixing or wanting to take off yes but it doesn't necessary mean they're nervous.

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
Gorgeous bird! Congratulations! I don't know anything about Amazons but it sounds like you got some great advice!

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots

Perhaps i should qualify my comment,,, I'm referring to amazons. i don't offer advice on birds i'm not familiar with and for sure don't know it all. Please don't be offended by my comments. peace

Most Reactions