Cagesbydesign

Evenstar

Oct 15, 2013
I have two macaws and I came across an opportunity to buy two suncatcher 8ft octagon aviaries with a catch door. The person was asking 4000 for them and I told him I could do 2000, he countered back asking for 2500. I went out to see the aviaries today and he said he thinks they are about 10 years old for the most part I thought they were in pretty good condition but they would need a lot of work to get them to where I could put the parrots in them. There are a few bars that need rewelded, the paint on the back is basically gone so they would need to be re powdercoated and there are a few spots that have rust. After seeing all of the things that would need don't that pushes it a little out of my price range. I was thinking about offering 1500, do you guys think this is too low, or do you think with the 2500 and everything that needs to be done it would still be worth it to purchase them?

OOwl

Oct 12, 2010
Texas
Parrots
Rosebreasted Cockatoo, Congo Grey, MRH Amazon, Lovebird
Wow, I had no idea used ones were worth that much! I have one, which interestingly also needs rewelding in a few spots (I temporarily fixed it with two stainless panels bolted on each side of the popped weld, which works well but looks a bit unsightly). I have also owned my aviary (same size and brand) for about 10 years. I had been thinking of upgrading it and was going to sell it for around $200, and the powder coating on mine is great (it's always been on a covered back patio). So, that sounds high for your used units.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Sounds like those cages have seen better days...

I'd pass. By the time you fixed them up, you might put enough into them to buy new!

Have you seen centurian's outdoor flights? You could get one of those brand new for around $2500 and it would be big enough for two macaws... better deal!

OP
E

Evenstar

Oct 15, 2013
Okay, thanks. I didn't have any clue what they would be worth. I know for two 8 foots with a catch new would cost around 7000. I have looked at the centurion cages before but what caught my eye about these was that there were two and a catch door and my macaws don't get along and I may not always be right there to break them up if they have a disagreement. I will keep the centurions in mind on my search, but does anyone have any clue what they would offer for these cages? I do have some emails out to some powder coating companies to see what it would cost to get them ready for the birds.

rosembers

Nov 15, 2015
I would offer no more than $1000 max in this case. My husband and I have had a similar situation with our dove aviary and it was such a hassel and a lot of work. Good luck to you!!!!

OP
E

Evenstar

Oct 15, 2013
Alright, I have talked to some powder coating places to get estimates on what it would cost to get the cages done and the first place said 1800 for each cage which is way to much as I would just purchase new aviaries at that point. The second quote I got the guy said between 500 and 1000 but he would have to see them. So I emailed the seller back and offered him 500 for the aviaries explaining all the work that would need to be done and he said no so I think I will tell him my offer will stand until spring if he can't sell them at which point I will just buy a new centurion aviary.

Most Reactions