Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I love this thread! It's so interesting for those of us who aren't familiar with breeding or raising babies!

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.. disappointing to say the very least :(. I'm looking forward to seeing the other babies grow and develop!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
It's like Christmas to see them hatch....how exciting! :)

OP
I

Irishj9

Nov 20, 2011
Media
Parrots
11 caiques, 24 lovebirds
Little wbc bopper has a nestmate this morning. Baby#2 hatched. Pix later

OP
I

Irishj9

Nov 20, 2011
Media
Parrots
11 caiques, 24 lovebirds
[ame="https://youtu.be/WeDCoV7_bTM"]ChaCha babies Sun18 - YouTube[/ame]

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Wo-hooo!! Welcome to the world! :D I LMAO'ed @ the name 'Bopper'. What will you call this one? 'Thumper'??? HAHAHAH!!

Many congrats on the clutch mate. :D

OP
I

Irishj9

Nov 20, 2011
Media
Parrots
11 caiques, 24 lovebirds
Yes I think Thumper and bopper lol. Cha Cha has one more possibility of a hatch on wednesday next.

Now If I can get Bam Bam and Spot started ( my other GTC pair) I will be pleased.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
So the Green Thighed is a rare subspecies of the White Bellied I just found. Man, if you're not familiar with what color thighs the WBC has, you can look at one and say you can't tell a difference lol! Then upon seeing pics they're really different.

Are you going to be keeping all the babies for breeding stock? I'm curious to know how much these sell for, considering the more common Caiques are pretty expensive.

OP
I

Irishj9

Nov 20, 2011
Media
Parrots
11 caiques, 24 lovebirds
So the Green Thighed is a rare subspecies of the White Bellied I just found. Man, if you're not familiar with what color thighs the WBC has, you can look at one and say you can't tell a difference lol! Then upon seeing pics they're really different.

Are you going to be keeping all the babies for breeding stock? I'm curious to know how much these sell for, considering the more common Caiques are pretty expensive.

Theres still a raging debate about which species is which. Apparently all caiques have a black headed ancestor. Which split into black headed and green thighed (GTC) when the Amazon split their territory. The green thighed then split again into yellow thighed ( white bellied).

I have only one GTC chick now, the biggest one, and theres a great demand for him, but I will wait and see. Theyre better sold in pairs, plus hes my first caique baby to hatch.

on sales price the BHC is common here R1800, about $120 ( yes the Rand has collapsed)

1 WBC = 3*BHC
1 GTC = 9*BHC

OP
I

Irishj9

Nov 20, 2011
Media
Parrots
11 caiques, 24 lovebirds
Well I dont have space presently, and I watch MBS ( More birds syndrome) all the time. More birds is not more fun.

But I bought relatively rare birds because I knew there would never be any unwanted chicks. The breeders network here in SA is already buzzing, checking who has what and can they make up pairs. There is no caique in a rescue in SA

Even the black headed is highly prized as a surrogate parent. Their eggs are often swapped out with egg #3 or #4 from another more valuable caique variant

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Well I dont have space presently, and I watch MBS ( More birds syndrome) all the time. More birds is not more fun.

But I bought relatively rare birds because I knew there would never be any unwanted chicks. The breeders network here in SA is already buzzing, checking who has what and can they make up pairs. There is no caique in a rescue in SA

Even the black headed is highly prized as a surrogate parent. Their eggs are often swapped out with egg #3 or #4 from another more valuable caique variant

Sounds like a smart move :) I wish you luck and success!

The "thought" of more birds is fun, in reality = more work lol!

OP
I

Irishj9

Nov 20, 2011
Media
Parrots
11 caiques, 24 lovebirds
Eva's baby - provisionally named Thumper - now 30 days old and very curious about the big world. Trying hard to wander off and explore.

Still no feathers! lol
[ame="https://youtu.be/d0h2z59a_1E"]Thumper 30days - with his lil red spoon - YouTube[/ame]

Most Reactions