Caiques and cheese?

Julianna

Feb 4, 2013
Media
Olympia, WA
Parrots
Pippi, my white-bellied caique
Hi, my baby white-bellied caique arrived home earlier this week and I'm looking for household foods to feed her. I've read about some people saying their caiques like cheese, but I've also read that dairy is bad for birds. Does anyone have experience in feeding cheese? Also, if cheese is ok, what kind of cheese is best? Thanks for any help!

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
You have a cheese-caique ;)

Auggie *loves* cheese. As soon as he sees it, he'll go right for it and rip it out of my hand (or even my mouth) if I don't offer him some.

Cheese is certainly not health-food for them, but it's not bad in moderation. It's got protein and calcium which are both good, but of course fats which aren't. As long as it isn't a meal, though, it's perfectly safe in moderation.

EDIT: as for types of cheese - whatever he likes. Auggie prefers mozzarella.

OP
Julianna

Julianna

Feb 4, 2013
Media
Olympia, WA
Parrots
Pippi, my white-bellied caique
Thanks! I'll give her some with her breakfast tomorrow and see how she likes it. :)

JadeC

Apr 27, 2013
Seattle, WA
Parrots
White bellied caique
Yay!!! Another white bellied caique owner!! It seems like most people have the black heads! Congrats on your new baby :) I just got mine a few weeks ago

Pajarita

Banned
Banned
Jul 11, 2013
Be careful with dairy products, birds are not mammals so they don't have the enzymes to digest them properly and some get diarrhea from anything made out of milk (and you need to be especially careful with a baby). Cheese also has a lot of salt which is very bad for birds (all the salt birds need they get from plants or licks).

Irishj9

Nov 20, 2011
Media
Parrots
11 caiques, 24 lovebirds
The mad gang love cheese. I limit it, but it is definitely one of their favourite treats

Most Reactions