Can a cage be too big for a greencheek?

Sasha2

Mar 11, 2013
Midwest
Parrots
Sun conure , greencheek conure
Im thinking of moving my greenie into another cage.She is currently in a 30 long 15 tall and 18 deep.I prefer more side to side space then up and down(just my preference I guess).
I recently was given a cage that is 30 long by 30 tall by 18 deep(basically double what she has now).Its in super shape, no rust, nothing wrong at all with it, except it is one of the cheaper kind with the smaller wire(black) 1/2 inch spaced bars.And it doesnt have a stand so will have to be put on a shelf or something.
Would she even use that much space?
She loves to play on the floor of the cage.I add newspaper above the grate and she gets under it and has a party.Sometimes she is upside down under there playing with her toes(so cute).

Anyway I worry a cage that tall she might get hurt if she falls.I mean she doesnt fall but she could.I also worry that she wont like it.When I changed her cage when I first got her she was NOT happy.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
width is more important than height, so that's good you think like that :)

Try setting up the new cage next to her current cage and put a few toys and perches in it, make sure to let her watch you do it too.

Because of Rosie's bad leg she fell a lot at first when I moved her too her huge cage, the sound of her hitting the bottom scared the both of us! I was terrified she would break her keel, a leg, or wing. I padded the bottom with paper towels and put her newsprint paper(I buy art newsprint) on the top of that. It gets expensive(I change it out once a month if not more) but it makes a fall a lot less painful and scary.

Last edited:

legal_eagle

Banned
Banned
Feb 28, 2013
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure Pee-Wee
I'm thinking of getting a larger cage for my GCC, but I also worry she won't be comfortable with it. What did your bird go through, Sasha2, if you don't mind my asking?

Thanks!:green2:

OP
S

Sasha2

Mar 11, 2013
Midwest
Parrots
I'm thinking of getting a larger cage for my GCC, but I also worry she won't be comfortable with it. What did your bird go through, Sasha2, if you don't mind my asking?

She sulked and wouldnt play for awhile in her new cage.And when she saw her old cage sitting by the back door for the garbage she promptly flew to it.And I could see she wanted inside..IDK maybe I was seeing more then was really there, but it sure seemed like she missed her old cage.

I do know If I put her sleeping hut that will help.She loves her sleeping hut.

Last edited:

legal_eagle

Banned
Banned
Feb 28, 2013
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure Pee-Wee

She sulked and wouldnt play for awhile in her new cage.And when she saw her old cage sitting by the back door for the garbage she promptly flew to it.And I could see she wanted inside..IDK maybe I was seeing more then was really there, but it sure seemed like she missed her old cage.

I do know If I put her sleeping hut that will help.She loves her sleeping hut.

You're lucky yours likes her sleeping hut ... I tried it with mine but she was afraid of it.:green2:

dragonlady2

Oct 3, 2010
Canada
Parrots
Eclectus-Willy, Alexandrine-Oliver, Two Barrabands -Joey and Peewee, Plumhead-Peanut, Senegal-Mookie, Australian King-Bella, Peachfront conure-Peachygirl, Crimson belly conure-Pepper, Parrotlette
I just tried moving my 3 1/2 year old crimson bellied conure to a larger cage and he plucked all of his chest and leg feathers off in one day! I put him back in his old cage and he has stopped plucking. Don't know if it was coincidence or not, but I am not taking any chances. The idea of setting up the new cage beside the old one is a good one.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Parrots don't have cages out in the wild! They also fly for several miles each day!

I often recommend the 32" W x 21" D x 35" H (not including stand) flight cages for small birds! Great size for a great price!

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
I agree, all of that height would be wasted, since most birds like to fly side to side ! A cage is never too big, but it might scare him a little since he's the only bird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I think it really depends on the individual bird. It wouldn't hurt to try her out in the new cage, but don't get rid of the old one just in case. While there are recommended cage sizes for every species, some birds do like a "cozier" cage while other couldn't have enough space if you gave them their own house. My parents 3 parrots still have their original cages from the 1970s (which are far too small by today's standards). My mom actually bought them all huge, brand new cages once, and couldn't get any of them to even go near them. She returned the new cages and they're all still perfectly happy in their "cozy" little cages they've lived in forever. I guess some birds are just happier that way. My parents actually lent us a spare cage the same size their birds live in when we got Kiwi. We eventually upgraded to a larger, more species appropriate size. He took to his new, larger home instantly and we will likely get him an even bigger cage when we have the room. It really boils down to your bird as an individual, and if she's happier in a smaller cage, so be it, and if she's happier in the larger cage, that's great too! Happiness of the bird is the most important thing!

Bobioden

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
Parrots
Maxx & Emma -Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conures (Male & Female)
Here is Maxx's cage 32x24x67 with 47" interior. They can never be too big. :) He uses EVERY inch of it.

31912-2.jpg

Lovelyloribeth

Jul 15, 2012
Georgia
Parrots
💙ChiChi~GCC~2 yrs.💙
💚Red~IRN~4 mos.💚

💛Houdini~Sun Conure~2 yrs.💛
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363188646.938212.jpg

This is my sums shared cage. They love it. And use it all. But spend their days out of it. And if I had space I'd go bigger. I say if you have the space bigger is always better.

OP
S

Sasha2

Mar 11, 2013
Midwest
Parrots
Should I just put her original toys in(of course her dishes and sleeping hut goes in.I was going to throw out a couple of chewed up ones and I bought new toys and a new perch and a new cool ladder.
Most those really big cages have bar spacing that is too far apart.I have a huge cage that is currently empty that I cant use for the gcc.

Also to answer about her sleeping hut.She never actually sleeps in it just behind it against the cage wall.Doesnt look comfortable at all sleeping sideways like that.She also recently started mating with her hut :p I know whats coming next, eggs.

Most Reactions

Latest posts