Can budgies and conures get along?

Jan 21, 2024
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Heyyy I currently have a gcc and Iā€™m thinking of getting a budgieor a cockatiel, but Iā€™m not sure if it is possible for them to get along. Now I know it is POSSIBLE but is it likely? They will be in seperate cages but would it be safe to leave both of their cage doors open and for them to play on their play-stand while Iā€™m in school. They will be checked on often by my mother but wonā€™t have constant supervision. Thank you!!!

Last edited:

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Heyyy I currently have a gcc and Iā€™m thinking of getting a budgieor a cockatiel, but Iā€™m not sure if it is possible for them to get along. Now I know it is POSSIBLE but is it likely? They will be in seperate cages but would it be safe to leave both of their cage doors open and for them to play on their play-stand while Iā€™m in school. They will be checked on often by my mother but wonā€™t have constant supervision. Thank you!!!
Hi there,

There really isnā€™t a way to predict if 2 parrots will get along. To be completely honest if they donā€™t like each other thereā€™s no way to ā€œfixā€ it either. You can do things to try to help but at the end of the day it truly is up to the parrots.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
As @kme3388 has quite rightly mentioned, there's never any guarantee that two birds of any species will get along, even if they're the same species. Of the two that you've selected however, I'd suggest you may be better off with a cockatiel. Budgies have VERY big personalities in those tiny bodies and they usually want to be everybody's best friend, and this can sometimes get them into trouble. As my (now retired) bird vet was always fond of saying, they can be like that pesky little brother who keeps getting in your face and doesn't know when to quit! So if your conure gets a little tired of this he could do a budgie quite a serious injury, maybe nipping a toe off or even half a beak - it's been known to happen. 'Tiels are just that bit bigger and not as likely to try the patience of a conure. Still by no means a guarantee that there won't be injuries, but just that much less likely. :)

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
As @kme3388 has quite rightly mentioned, there's never any guarantee that two birds of any species will get along, even if they're the same species. Of the two that you've selected however, I'd suggest you may be better off with a cockatiel. Budgies have VERY big personalities in those tiny bodies and they usually want to be everybody's best friend, and this can sometimes get them into trouble. As my (now retired) bird vet was always fond of saying, they can be like that pesky little brother who keeps getting in your face and doesn't know when to quit! So if your conure gets a little tired of this he could do a budgie quite a serious injury, maybe nipping a toe off or even half a beak - it's been known to happen. 'Tiels are just that bit bigger and not as likely to try the patience of a conure. Still by no means a guarantee that there won't be injuries, but just that much less likely. :)
I canā€™t stop laughing at your description of a budgie šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ I was trying to think of how to describe if parrots can flyā€¦ these smaller parrots are extremely fast. They turn on a dime. They arenā€™t exactly easy to catch up to if they do decide to chase in air.

OP
I
Jan 21, 2024
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Thank you so much!! You made the decision a lot easier lol.

OP
I
Jan 21, 2024
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Hi there,

There really isnā€™t a way to predict if 2 parrots will get along. To be completely honest if they donā€™t like each other thereā€™s no way to ā€œfixā€ it either. You can do things to try to help but at the end of the day it truly is up to the parrots.
Ohhh ok. Thanks!!

Jexnell

Supporting Member
2x Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jul 28, 2019
Portland Oregon
Parrots
Phoenix - Sun conure
Can they, yes they sure can
20191026_112314.jpg

Phoenix lived with a pair of budgies, all in the same cage for years. Mostly luck of the draw tho finding compatibility. I was lucky in that Phoenix wanted to share the cage, when separated he screamed his little beak off. Moved in together and peaceful.

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
I agree with people above. It depends a lot on the personalities and getting a cockatiel is less dangerous.

Green-cheeked conures are territorial, while budgies are very social and want to be a friend of almost everyone (it also depends on the personality). There are cases of them being friends, but accidents we don't have to look for outside the forum - I haven't seen her here for awhile but @Laurasea 's GCC has attacked one of her budgies three times - twice biting off its toe tip.

In my experience, my GCC didn't have bad intention towards Angela (our budgie), she was just too afraid of letting him to touch her. But my GCC has tried to attack Rozalka (our Bourke but she's the same size as a budgie) because she was sitting on his cage and I had to separate them

OP
I
Jan 21, 2024
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Can they, yes they sure canView attachment 58295

Phoenix lived with a pair of budgies, all in the same cage for years. Mostly luck of the draw tho finding compatibility. I was lucky in that Phoenix wanted to share the cage, when separated he screamed his little beak off. Moved in together and peaceful.
Thatā€™s sooooo cute!!!!! I love when big birds forgot how huge they are compared to their friends šŸ˜†

OP
I
Jan 21, 2024
Parrots
Green cheek conure
I agree with people above. It depends a lot on the personalities and getting a cockatiel is less dangerous.

Green-cheeked conures are territorial, while budgies are very social and want to be a friend of almost everyone (it also depends on the personality). There are cases of them being friends, but accidents we don't have to look for outside the forum - I haven't seen her here for awhile but @Laurasea 's GCC has attacked one of her budgies three times - twice biting off its toe tip.

In my experience, my GCC didn't have bad intention towards Angela (our budgie), she was just too afraid of letting him to touch her. But my GCC has tried to attack Rozalka (our Bourke but she's the same size as a budgie) because she was sitting on his cage and I had to separate them
Yeah budgies tend to be very hyper so if I were to get another bird it would be a cockatiel. But would I still need to supervise them when they were out of their cages because for my conure I leave his cage open all day so he can hang on his bird tree next to his cage in a bird proof room and I wouldnā€™t want ti take that away from him

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
They get along fine, video proof.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
also this

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
the budgies are taking baths now, they learned by watching the conures.....Budgies are so cute just living the dream in thier own little bubble.....waddleing around just living in the moment.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Like everyone said above you can only hope and pray that they get along. Worse case scenario, if the conure wants to be nasty, it can bite the toes off the budgies and probably kill them. But budgies and conure can coexist as some have proven above. I hope whatever bird you introduce gets accepted by your conure or at least tolerated by it.

OP
I
Jan 21, 2024
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Like everyone said above you can only hope and pray that they get along. Worse case scenario, if the conure wants to be nasty, it can bite the toes off the budgies and probably kill them. But budgies and conure can coexist as some have proven above. I hope whatever bird you introduce gets accepted by your conure or at least tolerated by it.
Thank you so much!!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts