can conures talk very clearly?

ghostsparrow

Dec 6, 2012
ATL, GA
All the youtube videos I've seen of conures, especially green cheek ones, have very gravely voices. It's not very clear. Can conures talk with clearer voices? If so, how do you get a conure to talk so clearly?

JasmineGCC

Oct 4, 2012
England
Parrots
Jasmine my pineapple green cheeked conure, hatched 17 April 2012
My GCC Jasmine is 8 months old. She started trying to say stuff as soon as we got her but it was not clear all. Then for a few weeks she started practising at bedtimes in her happy hut! Now she can say a few things very clearly and recognisably 'hello jasmine' 'good morning' 'night night' 'pretty girl' but anything longer than one or two words is unclear.

All in her little birdie voice - she's just adorable!

Your question about how? Lots of patience repetition and consistency. Every time I uncover her cage I say good morning. Every time I come into the room I say hello etc every time she does a trick and gets a great I say good girl.

Last edited:

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
It all depends on the bird and the guardian.

If the bird is willing to learn, and shows an interest, and the guardian is willing to spend lots of quality time, it should all come together.

The guardian, must be prepared to spend time training the bird, each and every day, repeating words over and over again.
Be prepared to spend hours and hours, playing with the bird, introducing new words as you play along.

Have the time and patience, to talk to the bird, whenever you are home.

Remember each bird, will "grow" according to his/her ability

Some birds will talk and others prefer not to.

Good luck

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Ruby- Solomans Island Grand Eclectus ***
Flora- Panama Amazon
My blue crown conure pair speak very well and very clearly in a little girls voice. They say alot of words that they have learned from me and our other birds also. In my experience with Amazons, conures, Too's, Eclectus, and alexandrines alot of the voice is what they hear. If spoken to by a woman or child the speach is much like what they hear. If a man speaks to them more then they have a deeper tone to their speach. This is just my experience though.

SweetPeasFriend

Jun 25, 2012
Media
Parrots
Parent's have, I baby sit a blue crown conure.
My husband and I adopted a rescue blue and gold macaw.
I'd say blue crowns for sure can talk clearly, not always.

Mitreds aren't bad. It depends on the mitred.

Lintini

May 5, 2012
Bay Area California
Parrots
Margret-Mealy Amazon 28 (family parrot), Petri- Peach Front Conure 4, Chloe- Congo African Grey 24 and Rio- Blue Crown Conure 4 !! :D
My blue crown sounds like mickey mouse or a little girl, and my peach front mix just cackles. apparently my blue crown also knows some words in spanish but I haven't heard them yet, i just got him a few months ago.

momto3

Mar 19, 2012
My Blue Crowned conure speaks very clearly in a cute little voice. He is a great mimic and has also picked up the sounds of my kids playing video games (oh no, stop it, it's my turn, etc.) and he mimics them while they play--it is like having an echo and is very funny. He also now will randomly say "what" after some of the things he says because apparently when I can't understand him I say "what" just like I am talking to the kids. I try to speak very clearly to him and there are definite times when he is in the mood to practice speaking and I try to use these times to my advantage. He gets super excited when we speak to each other and I have been able to introduce new words to him this way. We have only had him for 6 weeks (he is now 5 months old) and he has learned a lot in that time.

Our Quaker is a good talker too, but I have noticed that the Blue Crown seems to say stuff when it is appropriate. For example, when I give him a kiss on the head he will make kissing noises and say "I love you." He also will say "good job" after he does his trick where he raises his wings when I ask him to see his wings. He doesn't do it always, but he has done it a couple of times so I know he is making the connection.

Our Quaker says I love you too, but she says it randomly when she wants attention or to be out of her cage.

I love the talking aspect of our two birds!

OP
ghostsparrow

ghostsparrow

Dec 6, 2012
ATL, GA
I'm looking at getting a Green cheek conure. do they talk clearly? do different types of conures have different speaking abilities?

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
Mine say 'hello' very clearly... but... talking does not matter to me... I'm more interested in personality, which the gcc has heaps of... :D

Most Reactions