Can I get a Sun Conure as a student?

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
I met a lovely girl about 6 months ago. We had so much in common, got on great, everything was more or less perfect. She didnt like the Parrot though so it was a big problem for me and i had to end things.

If your gonna get a Parrot then you have to treat it like having a child. They will change and effect your life. Id say wait till you have your own place and career and your comming home to him/her every night and you will have a much stronger bond. If there is gonna be times when you wont see your bird for days or weeks then its pretty pointless. They have emotions very close to human and can self harm pretty bad too from missing you.

I know the appeal of wanting one though. Maybe a pair could be an option but they would bond to eachother. I read that Parrotlettes do great as pairs but they may not do much with you like a single parrot would but they wouldnt be lonely when your not there either. They really are like having a real 2 year old in every way. Except they dont wear nappies :) x

This is so very true. They are like two year old toddlers that NEVER grow up. The thing for me is that the maintenance of owning a sun is actually a GOOD thing for me and my lifestyle. For MANY, it is not.

I haven't seen my family since Dec of 2010 (I got Skittles in April of 2011). My mom and sister are in CT and my mom can't travel anymore (shes on oxygen). I used to visit my mom regularly.

I can't take Skittles on the bus and my sister is a (insert naughty words here) and won't come get me and him to go see my mom. Even though she comes up here to see friends and I've even offered her money. She's an incredibly selfish (insert more naughty words here).

I've never been apart from Skittles for more than 5hrs and even if I could find somebody to take care of him while I'm gone (I do have someone), there is just no way I could do it. Even if he would be okay (which I know he wouldn't). I couldn't go one day without seeing and holding him.

My friends know that Skittles is #1 in my life (even before me) and I will ALWAYS choose Skittles over ANYONE (including my mother, who I love dearly).

My mom is the one who got me my first bird when I was 11y/o and she knows how much Skittles means to me. I've told my mom I may not be able to go to her funeral, if my sister can't bring me. Cause I can't leave Skittles- especially at such a time. I told her this, so I could make peace with her.

OP
T

TheSoggyBagel

Feb 25, 2018
I met a lovely girl about 6 months ago. We had so much in common, got on great, everything was more or less perfect. She didnt like the Parrot though so it was a big problem for me and i had to end things.

If your gonna get a Parrot then you have to treat it like having a child. They will change and effect your life. Id say wait till you have your own place and career and your comming home to him/her every night and you will have a much stronger bond. If there is gonna be times when you wont see your bird for days or weeks then its pretty pointless. They have emotions very close to human and can self harm pretty bad too from missing you.

I know the appeal of wanting one though. Maybe a pair could be an option but they would bond to eachother. I read that Parrotlettes do great as pairs but they may not do much with you like a single parrot would but they wouldnt be lonely when your not there either. They really are like having a real 2 year old in every way. Except they dont wear nappies :) x

This is so very true. They are like two year old toddlers that NEVER grow up. The thing for me is that the maintenance of owning a sun is actually a GOOD thing for me and my lifestyle. For MANY, it is not.

I haven't seen my family since Dec of 2010 (I got Skittles in April of 2011). My mom and sister are in CT and my mom can't travel anymore (shes on oxygen). I used to visit my mom regularly.

I can't take Skittles on the bus and my sister is a (insert naughty words here) and won't come get me and him to go see my mom. Even though she comes up here to see friends and I've even offered her money. She's an incredibly selfish (insert more naughty words here).

I've never been apart from Skittles for more than 5hrs and even if I could find somebody to take care of him while I'm gone (I do have someone), there is just no way I could do it. Even if he would be okay (which I know he wouldn't). I couldn't go one day without seeing and holding him.

My friends know that Skittles is #1 in my life (even before me) and I will ALWAYS choose Skittles over ANYONE (including my mother, who I love dearly).

My mom is the one who got me my first bird when I was 11y/o and she knows how much Skittles means to me. I've told my mom I may not be able to go to her funeral, if my sister can't bring me. Cause I can't leave Skittles- especially at such a time. I told her this, so I could make peace with her.

Wow... I'm so sorry you're in that situation:( I hope someday it'll work out. Your mom probably understands at least

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Thanks. Sunnies are GREAT companions. I honestly could not love Skittles more if he were a human child. To be honest, it scares me. I often wonder who needs who the most. One great thing about us being so closely bonded is it makes getting him to obey commands relatively easy. He still 'tests' the boundaries, but he is incredibly obedient.

He was NOT always this way either. When I first got him, I didn't have him free-flighted. I had a cockatiel (who passed in 2015) and I had to divide up my time and he was NOT a fan of that (even though I had my tiel for almost 20yrs).

I had to put him in timeouts several times a day due to his incessant screaming. Once I let him be free-flighted and integrated him into my daily activities, the bad behaviors stopped. Before, I would cage him whenever I had to do stuff around the house.

Now, I just wait til he's in bed if I have to do something I don't want him around for (ie cooking which makes a lot of smoke or cleaning things-like the oven).

They require a LOT of sacrifice. It's well worth it IF you can make the sacrifices. When you are younger, its much harder to do that than when you are middle-aged like I am.

The loudness alone is enough to drive anyone crazy. Noisiness- depends on the bird, not the species. But ALL sunnies are LOUD and its not a 'pretty' sound either.

Last edited:

Most Reactions