Can parrots eat duck eggs?

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
I've been wanting to get some chicken eggs to feed to the birds, but being vegan and all, I refuse to buy eggs from the grocery store. There are a lot of people locally that have pet chickens and sell their eggs so I was just going to go that route. I posted on my facebook and asked if anyone had any eggs and a friend of mine said that she has duck eggs. They are infertile and she said her duck lays one a day and won't sit on them till spring. I tried googling it but I can't find any info on feeding duck eggs to parrots. Are they really much different than chicken eggs and are they okay to hard boil and feed to the birds?

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
I don't see why they would be much different, nutritionally. I've never had duck eggs so I don't know if they taste different. As long as they're cooked (although I have eaten my share of raw eggs, lol), I don't see why it would be a problem.

Mamanda

Oct 17, 2011
Media
Central Oregon (Paradise!)
Parrots
Keen: female, YSGCC & Opi: male, Pied Cockatiel & Milo: male, Timneh African Grey
I believe a duck egg is higher in fat ... I do know they're great for baking. Can't see why it would be a problem for a bird to eat.

KBEquine

May 19, 2011
South-central PA
Parrots
From little to big - currently 6 Linnies; 2 Budgies; 1 BHP; 2 CAGs; 2 Zons; 1 GWM. Formerly in the flock: 1 LSC2 [fostered/rehomed] RIP: 1 budgie 1 WCP & 1 sweet Pan Am
We have horses & give the manure to local gardeners. One gave us some duck & some chicken eggs in return. I've scrambled both the duck & chicken eggs, both for myself AND for the birds. There is a different taste between the two, but the birds liked the duck eggs at least as well as the chicken eggs.

No one died (if that helps). Not much of a study on safety, just a report on what I did.

OP
IcyWolf

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
Thanks for all your advice! I assumed it was okay but just wanted to make sure. She is saving some in her fridge for me right now, just gotta go pick them up at some point. I think I'm just going to hard boil them, eggs really gross me out and that seems like the least gross way to cook them lol.

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
lol duck eggs are huge, taste stronger then chicken eggs, just don't feed the yolk as its so rich, but its not really important that they have egg, as you can feed protein from other sources, nut gets a bit of egg white once a wk if that, lol

and i would be tempted to toss any eggs that didn't sink fast in a jug of water, the faster it sinks the fresher

Most Reactions