Can some explan how this happened????

Nakiska

May 30, 2011
Washington
Parrots
4 Cockatiels 2 males Chicken Little & Charlie, 2 Females Chiquita and Sweet pea. Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Franklin and our now tame, rescued feral Pigeon - Belle.
I went to feed my horses, was gone about 40 minutes. Came home to find THIS scene!

I'm totally baffled...how the heck did this happen?

Toni

Last edited:

mnkeastman

Jan 6, 2012
Parrots
Pixie-White Capped Pionus
Pretty sure whenever something like this happened on TV, Sylvestor was always in the bird cage throughly confused while Tweety was happy on top.

Maybe you need to rethink the birdies TV choices :p lol

cockatielfan17

Nov 20, 2011
if the cage was open the cat coud have easily got in they could fit in the smallest places but if the cage was closed that is freaky

OP
Nakiska

Nakiska

May 30, 2011
Washington
Parrots
4 Cockatiels 2 males Chicken Little & Charlie, 2 Females Chiquita and Sweet pea. Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Franklin and our now tame, rescued feral Pigeon - Belle.
OMG it is scary to see this. Was the cage door open? What a prize photo though.

Oh, freaked me out! My heart sunk into my stomach. The cage door was absolutely shut when we left. And I know for a fact, that Chicken does NOT know how to open his doors.

However, from now on...his doors will be tied shut with a twisty tie or something.

I have thoroughly checked Chicken out, and he's absolutely unmarked. PHEW! Because not more than 2 hours earlier. I took a 4 minute video of Chicken talking up a storm that I'm going to post here later.

I told my husband...THANK GOSH this won't be a sad "memory" video.

It'll be - forever a mystery - I'm sure.

Toni

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
That is awfully freaky! I have to say I'd have had a heart attack if I walked in and saw that. Not only that but I'd probably have a dead or injured bird and an injured cat as well. Heck Pete wasn't eating much today and I finally figured out it was because the cat was sleeping under his cage and he was upset about it. Now I hadn't realized he found the cat that frightening since he will run her off if she is up on the TV stand and watching him.

And guess what? She just jumped off the couch and went back under his cage! Now the cat can sleep right up against Rowdy's cage and she could care less. Merlin actually goes up to the cat and kisses her. Pete's cage is way up off the ground and he's worried about her being under there.

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
This photo sure did give me a giggle, but gosh!! That is a mystery thats for sure! So happy all were unharmed~

OP
Nakiska

Nakiska

May 30, 2011
Washington
Parrots
I was really shook up as you can tell by the title of this post...it was SUPPOSED to say...

Can someone explain how this happened????

Hahahahaha!! I didn't even notice the errors until now...many hours later.

Toni

Keinanna

Jan 9, 2012
Parrots
Chewy ~ 3 year old green cheek conure

Toki ~ 2 year old Budgie
I wonder if maybe the cat opened the cage? I have a cat that can happily lay on my bed while i have the birds out and not touch them. My other two cats however are not to be trusted (i dont completely trust the calm cat either cause well he is a cat but supervised he is ok) Maybe the cat had no interest in the bird and just wanted to try out the cage.

I got woke up this morning by my youngest cat knocking the budgie's cage on the floor. Normally the door to the bedroom is closed but i guess my boyfriend fell asleep on the couch and eventually wandered back into the bedroom in the middle of the night and forgot to close the door.

Luckily the birds are all ok. The cat however is still in big trouble. But the cat was definitely interested inthe cage maybe yours was too

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
Oh my goodness! That's scary, but silly! I wonder who opened the door!

Mitchell

Jan 11, 2012
Houston Texas
Parrots
Baby Vosmaeri Eclectus (hatched 9-11-11)
Looks like the birdy is the one with nine lives this time! So glad this didn't end in tragedy but instead gave us all a chuckle and made us check our cages. I actually padlock all of my cages when they're inside at night, during day stays, and when we leave for any periods of time. You never know who's going to get into the cage whether its a child, a pet or a thief. A dear friend of mine recently had a CAG stolen when their house was broken in to. Very sad being they'd had him for several years. So since then, I've been paranoid. LOL! Okay, and over protective with the combination padlocks.

OP
Nakiska

Nakiska

May 30, 2011
Washington
Parrots
I wonder if maybe the cat opened the cage? I have a cat that can happily lay on my bed while i have the birds out and not touch them. My other two cats however are not to be trusted (i dont completely trust the calm cat either cause well he is a cat but supervised he is ok) Maybe the cat had no interest in the bird and just wanted to try out the cage.

I got woke up this morning by my youngest cat knocking the budgie's cage on the floor. Normally the door to the bedroom is closed but i guess my boyfriend fell asleep on the couch and eventually wandered back into the bedroom in the middle of the night and forgot to close the door.

Luckily the birds are all ok. The cat however is still in big trouble. But the cat was definitely interested inthe cage maybe yours was too

ROFLOLOL!!! I know it's not funny, but just thinking about it does crack me up. I've often wondered - the heart attack the poor birds must experience when their cage is falling and there's nothing they can do about it.

Darn cat's anyway!

Thankfully your budgies were all okay too and the cage didn't come apart at impact.

As for us....well, I know now that the cat opened the slide up door...I kept Chicken upstairs with us last night and this morning when I went to put him in his own cage...Kiwi was back inside the bird cage, happily checking out what Chicken eats. :)

I purchased some mini locks to put on all the slide up doors to prevent this scene again.

I still can't believe that it happened. I showed my son (13) the picture, after his double/triple take he just busted up laughing and said OMG! How did THAT happen?

We watched Kiwi come out the door last night too...what a goofy cat and thank goodness he was LESS interested in the bird.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Cats seem to get into a lot of things. I once had a cat that could open the sliding closet doors, drawers and would turn on lights or even faucets.

Most Reactions