Can someone identify this bird?

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
:eek: GULP! They are HUUUUGE!!!! :eek:

Thank you so much for the video! It sure was awesome (and an eye-opener, too) :D

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Thanks for sharing the incredible video, Reid. Amazing, I had no idea toucans were that large or that gentle.

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
OH NO, NO, NO WAY!!!! Wouldn't want one...wouldn't feed one! LOL...The video even scared me! I'm going to give each of my flock a big kiss now!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I'd imagine the Hornbills are messy fruit eaters like Toucans? You'd need a big outdoor aviary for sure!

I can finally bring this video up into something! I might be getting a little too excited about this thread, Hornbills and Toucans are my favorite types of birds!

:eek: Those are some BIG, carnivorous birds! I was imagining something more the size of a crow. I'm actually surprised they are so friendly. Anyone in doubt that birds are descendent from dinosaurs needs to look at these guys:52:

JokerGirl

Jul 24, 2012
That place out there!
Parrots
Sam - Lesser WFA (04/26/2003)

Buddy - Lutino Cockatiel (Unknown birthday)
Such amazing birds! I definitely developed a soft spot for ours when working at the zoo. The big ground hornbills are a little intimidating at first, but they are really pretty gentle. Ours were really inquisitive towards new people in their enclosure.

The first time I was working out there, the main female came up to me holding one of their mice and dropped it at my feet. She stood there and looked at me like I was supposed to take it. Mmmmm... dead mouse that's been out in the heat for a few hours...

We had to go out and turn the dirt to keep it from getting compacted, and they would follow wherever you went with the shovel and grab any worms you unearthed along the way.

Last edited:

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
Great video, I was totally mesmerized by that and the pics....btw, did anyone else's parrots at home go nuts when that video was played? Mine went crazy!

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
5 Parrots, 8 year old Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 1/2 yr. old African Grey, 2 3/4 year old Senegal. 5 month old ekkie, 5 month old Albino parakeet. Major Mitchell Cockatoo, passed away at age 68.
If I am not mistaken you also have to feed them mice and other meat!:eek:

Heck we're having a BBQ, I could toss a mouse on the grill for it.... :p

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
5 Parrots, 8 year old Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 1/2 yr. old African Grey, 2 3/4 year old Senegal. 5 month old ekkie, 5 month old Albino parakeet. Major Mitchell Cockatoo, passed away at age 68.
GULP! I only asked because I've once smelled Vulture 'droppings' up (too) close and personal....it was truly atrocious! :32:

Hawks and falcons are a bit stinky as well, since they are meat eaters
they tend to have a bit of an odor as well. Good thing they don't eat BBq'd beans.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Wow awesome video and pics! Thanks for the video Reid, and Jokergirl for the interesting info! :)

Zeithria

May 6, 2015
Ohio
Parrots
Cockatoo
~on the hunt for a macaw~
I just did an image search and found nothing even close to resembling that. Totally awesome though!

Most Reactions