Can you re-name a re-homed grey?

Kim444

Aug 18, 2011
I am looking to adopt an AG and have my name on many rescue waiting lists. But I was wondering if when I finally adopt one, if I can rename it, or is it too confusing or too stressful for the AG?

JensFlock

Jul 31, 2011
South Carolina
Parrots
Eclectus,
Blue Crowned Conure,
Quaker,
Lineolated Parakeet,
Diamond Dove,
Star Finch,
Spice Finch
I got my cockatoo a few months ago, and he's about 14 years old. I re-named him as soon as I got him, so he had a new name to go with a new loving home. He knows it, so I guess it's ok. Then again, I don't know if he ever knew that he had a name before he came to live with me. Nobody talked to him.

mele

Jul 26, 2011
California
Parrots
Lotty- Umbrella Cockatoo,
Scarlet- Scarlet Macaw,
Paco- Lilac Amazon, Josh-blue front amazon
All my birds came with established names and I managed to re-name all but one. He just didnt seem to adjust. I tried to interact with him and he just seemed withdrawn. Only when I started using his orignal name, he became interested. It probably has alot to do with age and the birds confidence. I was hs 4th owner and Im not sure how he was treated before. I do wish Scarlet would have liked a different name....not the most creative name for a scarlet macaw. I wanted to call him Hatter. I stll think it fits him perfectly.

mele

Jul 26, 2011
California
Parrots
Lotty- Umbrella Cockatoo,
Scarlet- Scarlet Macaw,
Paco- Lilac Amazon, Josh-blue front amazon
JensFlock,

That is so sad :(
Im glad he found you

Amber

Jun 1, 2011
I think Mele has a good point. If the birds previous name is associated with unhappy things by the bird (mistreatment etc) it will probably adjust very well to a new name that has new and positive re-enforcement behind it. A nice new name for a nice new happy home!

On the other hand if the bird was previously treated well and loved and cared for, it's name is associated with that (The word we most often say to our birds is probably their names after all!) and it will probably be difficult to change. In this case, I wouldn't bother as the birds name is something it associates with positive things, and that's all that matters. Kind of like how some birds find security in a familiar toy, a familiar name can be the same :)

melinda

Aug 10, 2011
TN
Parrots
5 year old cockatoo Chloe and 3 year old sun conure Joe Joe
Khloe 15 year old orange wing amazon
When i got my cockatoo she had a name i couldn't even say so i gave her a new name and in a week she was saying "Chloe a good girl". I think she didn't like her last name either lol

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Princess Rome- Moluccan Cockatoo (18yrs old), Rosie - Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo (2yr old)
Depends on the individual bird. Romeo came with her name, She was given a male name because she has all the physical characteristics that suggest a male, she is DNA test now as a female (shes 16yrs). She refuses for me to change her name so I just added the Princess part on the end and usually call her variations of her name (Romie, Romo etc.).

Most Reactions