Canary advice needed please

ShaunaR

Supporting Member
Jun 5, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Pixie the White Bellied Caique
We have had a beautiful canary named Steve for about 6 months now and from the first day he has sang numerous times a day. We bought full spectrum lighting for the baby Caique we are expecting and Steve continued to sing very well for about 3 weeks. The light was on about 2 feet above his cage and was on a timer lasting about 7 hours a day. We went camping for 2 nights at the end of May and Steve stopped singing. He had plenty of H2O and food and there was no evidence that something weird could have happened while we were gone. He also began to spend much much more time hopping around the bottom of his cage. He still peeped at us when we talk to him and seemed very active. He lost one tail feather which made me wonder if the light may have started him on an early molt? We have had the light off for several days now and I revamped his cage with some smaller natural perches and some bird safe plants. He has begun to sing again now but maybe once a day. Am I on the right track here?

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
My canary stops singing during his annual molt during the summer. His first year he sang right through it, but has stopped every year since.then starts up again when he is done moulting.. My guess is that light you used might have something to do with it .:)....Alison

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I have 2 canaries but am far from an expert on them. Mine also have a light and it has never seemed to bother them, but both of mine are hens. I was just reading that male canaries don't sing while they are moulting, so my guess is that is what is going on:)

OP
ShaunaR

ShaunaR

Supporting Member
Jun 5, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Pixie the White Bellied Caique
Thanks we have had the light off for several days and he has sang a couple of times a day since then...far from his usual 20+ shrills daily. He hasn't stopped chirping to us when we talk to him and continues to eat and poop normally so we shall see what happens. He hasn't lost anymore than the one tail feather thus far too. Will let you know how it goes!

Most Reactions